U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 AM

274 posts, read 430,407 times

Advertisements

Picture of I have no idea what it is in my lawn - it is spreading and I'm at a loss of what to do to stop it. I try to pull it but I'm afraid that I also pull the grass - this stuff is so inter-twined with the grass It's almost impossible to get rid of it without getting rid of the grass. Does anyone out there 1. know what this is and 2. how to get rid of it without having to totally replace the lawn.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this in my lawn?-weeds4.jpg   What is this in my lawn?-weeds3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:20 AM

5,937 posts, read 13,685,397 times
Use a weed and feed fertilizer, that should eliminate it. You might take a sample to your local garden center and they will steer you in the right direction.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 AM

5,625 posts, read 6,805,587 times
I would buy a concentrated liquid weed killer such as the Scott's Ortho Weed-B-Gon MAX or the Weed-B-Gon Chickweed, Clover, & Oxalis Killer. I'm not sure which would be better for these weeds but they are only about $9 for a container. You need to dilute these in a sprayer and it may take 2-3 sprayings to kill the weeds.

Spraying only the weeds makes a lot more sense than using a granular weed and feed type product. The granular products have to be applied when the grass is wet or they don't work well. The weed killer has to stick to the leaves and be absorbed.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I would buy a concentrated liquid weed killer such as the Scott's Ortho Weed-B-Gon MAX or the Weed-B-Gon Chickweed, Clover, & Oxalis Killer. I'm not sure which would be better for these weeds but they are only about $9 for a container. You need to dilute these in a sprayer and it may take 2-3 sprayings to kill the weeds.

Spraying only the weeds makes a lot more sense than using a granular weed and feed type product. The granular products have to be applied when the grass is wet or they don't work well. The weed killer has to stick to the leaves and be absorbed.
Just want to make sure - this won't harm the grass right? I'll give it a try - thanks!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM

5,625 posts, read 6,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0720 View Post
Just want to make sure - this won't harm the grass right? I'll give it a try - thanks!
I have used it a lot. It may leave some brown spots if you spray too much. It is best to spray fairly lightly and then do it again in a week or so.

Dilute it exactly like it says on the container, which means using a measuring cup to get the exact amount. Fill the sprayer exactly to the 1 or 2 gallon line. Shake the sprayer to make sure its mixed well.

Follow the directions as far as rain and mowing the lawn. It think it say not to use if expecting rain in 24 hours and not to mow for two days after.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Pics of the grass area were I had that 'infestation' - I ended up using Bayer Advanced Weed & Crabgrass Killer - took about two/three weeks of re-spraying the area - but the 'weed' is gone .... thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this in my lawn?-grass.jpg   What is this in my lawn?-grass2.jpg  

Last edited by ceg0720; 05-30-2012 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Wrong picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or