Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times

Advertisements

well ive got a couple of questions...

1: front of my property on my front property line i was suprised by a beuiful red bloom the other day.
the former owner then informs me that its a "climbing rose thing" that his brother panted, origionally there was aparently a tree there that it grew up and the tree was removed, and he thought the contractor who boguththe place had riped it out...suprise its still there...but its in a realy arkward spot...
the rose was planted there about 7 yrs ago, its not all that large at this point so i think it was pretty heavily hacked back last spring...
would it be safe to gently dig it up and move it? and WHEN would be the best time?
i belive its a Blaze climbing rose

2: ive got a chance to get my mits on 6 knockout rose bushes for next to nothign compared to normal cost...
but im still trying to figure out where i want my flower beds...
if i were to get em and plant them now, could i move them relitivly easily without killing them next spring/when im ready?

and on the subject of knockouts...how are they as a "hedge" rose obviously they wont be evergreen...but do they fill out enough to be used as a light hedge if i planted them about 4ft apart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
You can really move it anytime, except for the hottest part of the year of course. Spring is best probably. Try and move it, if it is old, it may have some heinous roots though, so be prepared. Give it lots of water after you move it... just like transplanting anything.
Roses do best with full sun, so put your beds where they are in sun all day if possible. OR later afternoon shade only if you have to.
Believe it or not, roses are very tough plants. I have no experience with knockouts but I have ordered one this year (mailorder nursery, the best place to purchase your roses!) and am excited to try one.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:04 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I've transplanted knockout roses a couple of times and they did great . As g34 said, any time it's not terribly hot would be fine. They are very resiliant plants. And full sun is best, but they'll do well in a little more shade than most other roses.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:21 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
It's best to transplant in spring or fall, before the heat kicks in and the rose is actively growing. Dig as deep as possible, there might be some long tap roots. Throw some bone meal in the new hole for the rose, and keep it well watered this summer giving the new roots time to settle in. A little mulch over the roots will help keep it moist. I have a Knockout rose planted in part shade, it really doesn't bloom all that well for me, the more sun the better. As far as the climbing rose, it should bounce back fast even if it was heavily pruned. You should trim them back each spring anyway, they are very vigorous growers. I had one at my last house that I swear grew several inches in a day.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM

yeah this climber isnt growing as craziliy as ive seen some go, but considering there was literlaly nothing there but a little stump in the fall (unidentifiable as a rose then) its done pretty well.
im thnking if i do move it ill trim t back to a more managable size and try and root any new trimmings so i can put its babies all around the house (i LOVE roses)

I always plant my roses with a metric btload of rabbit manure too

Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
My dad a (mechanic business owner) had a green thumb when it came to roses. He would literally dig out and replant when they moved from one house to another. One time the roses would look wimpy so they sold the house and moved to another city and the roses came back to life.

What he did was to add the shavings from turning car brake drums that added rust to the soil and which gave the flowers a DEEPER color. Worked great for him so I did the same with my tree roses along my long driveway.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM

well i brought home 6 semi sorry looking red knockouts...
there not in "bad" shape but theyve been definatly left to get leggy so they look like sticks with a few scattered leaves, definatly not "shrubby" or full like ive seen in pictures.
so im going to do some research into pruning (when and how) to give them a fresh start next year, but for now there in the dirt look quite healthy, are all between 2-3ft tall, and should look lovely with some TLC...i also managed to talk myself into a bunch of rose of sharon starts a realy sorry looking azelea (its a good 3ft tall but its mostly sticks with 3 or 4 leaves on the very ends lol) and a sorry looking stick of a lilac...its 1 tall stick plenty of leaves on it and some tiny leaves neer the base of the plant so im hoping some pruning and love will get that filling out too.
not a bad deal for veryhting though, and i would have brought home another lilac had i had more room in my car LOL. no realy..the guy was laughing at me as i manouvered each plant to fit as many as possible in the car. had i had more money there was nother 2 knockouts and a hybrid tea i would have taken too he was asking $5 a peice for the roses, everything else as free...i ended up paying a little over $3 for each of the knockouts and got everything else free...the same size (and similar condition) were $18 at walmart and lowes has them right now for $24.99...

now to go finnihs planting LOL

Old 04-28-2012, 03:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Knock-out roses do incredibly well with little care. So if your new knock-outs are not very healthy they have probably been in poor light.

I have a large knock-out yellow rose bush that I transplanted to a bed with 3 other knock-outs (early Fall last year)....I cut it back before digging it up and it is doing great in its new spot....a little slow to grow this spring but it finally is starting to bloom. Most roses are easy to transplant. After transplanting be sure to water well and water every few days for the first few weeks until the roots start to re-establish - water daily if the weather is very warm - at least for the first few weeks. Also give the rose a dose of liquid plant food to help stimulate growth.

You said that you are planting Rose of Sharon - I have to tell you that I am not fond of Rose of Sharon - they, along with roses are magnets for Japanese Beetles....I also think that many times Rose of Sharon is rather weedy looking. They didn't do well in my yard but I have seen beautiful examples of them once in a while.

We took out all the rose of sharon that was planted in a row behind our knock-outs - the roses are doing so much better now.....the rose of sharon blocked the light to the roses.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-28-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I've had a few Rose of Sharon at both my houses. They can look beautiful, but unless you have a sterile cultivar, they'll make a TON of weed seedlings. I pulled some out because of this. I hate river rock, but the two I have left here are in river rock, and I put some extra last year which kept it down pretty well. Or if it was out in the lawn where the seedlings would get mowed down, that would be OK.
Edited to add: You said you wanted some screening from the neighbor. A Rose of Sharon forest would probably do the trick!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 PM

83 posts, read 291,351 times
I think it's really hard to kill Knock Out Roses. When we moved to our current house last summer, there were several overgrown Knock-Outs right next to the front door and a few more in the back yard, overgrown as well. My SIL dug up the three plants in the front, put them in in buckets and there they sat for a month or two. I finally got around to replanting them against the side yard fence, and they have really taken off!! I also severely pruned the Knock-Outs in the backyard, as well. They are blooming very nicely. I'm not really a fan of the Knock-Outs, due to their lack of smell, but we have some honeysuckle growing up through the rose bushes in the backyard, which gives off a great fragrance. I'm going to keep both the Knock-Outs and the honeysuckle pruned and enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden