U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 AM

198 posts, read 460,855 times

Advertisements

Last August's hurricane uprooted a tree in my front yard and it's starting to lean more and more. Seems like only a matter of time until it comes down. It's away from the house and pretty small so I'm not too worried about that.

Question is if I hire a tree removal company to remove it stump and all, can I plant a new tree in the exact same spot or will some the remaining roots from the old tree cause problems for the new tree? The way the yard is landscaped forces me to plant in the same location. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 AM

25,626 posts, read 34,519,619 times
As long as you remove the majority of the old tree stump and roots you are fine. Depending on the size of the tree being removed that could be a lot of digging. You can't just grind up the stump until it is below ground level but you will need to actually remove it. Then you will probably need back fill dirt to get the area to grade again.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
38,905 posts, read 69,894,658 times
Depending on the variety it may not be hard to straighten it up, if you do it in the fall when the leaves have dropped. We did the neighbor's flowering plum with 6" diameter trunk by digging under the one side and pulling with cable and sling attached to truck, then staking well to hold
in place. It's been 3 years and it's doing fine and straight with the stakes removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden