U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,166,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Is there something I can add to the vinegar to increase its effectiveness in killing weeds? I'd rather not use Roundup or any other product by Monsanto the criminal liars.
What acidity was it? I have both 5% and 20%. I used the 20% on the weeds last week and they are definitely DEAD. Depending on the percentage it can help plants grow 5% (your acid loving ones) or kill (20%). I put the 20% in a sports bottle and aimed directly at its root system...all dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,166,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I do use weedkiller, but these things just don't seem to care. They have long trailing roots, and whenever I get rid of them, some new ones sort of meander over and refill the space. I've been spraying some of the same areas with Roundup or Spectracide for 12 years now.
The only thing that's ever gotten rid of them in a space is a thick layer of newspaper, topped with a thick layer of mulch. I add another layer of mulch every couple years or so. Problem is, the newspaper trick just can't go in some places.
LOL, you can't stop them, you just have to learn how to incorporate them into your garden OR as you said use newspaper (shredded from your paper shredder) then a layer of torn or flat cardboard, depending on how you use it and lastly thick layer of mulch. Now this year I had some left over straw from the Fall and laid it down. Our city gave us mulch from damaged trees so I picked up a truckful of that and decided to put that on top of the straw and wet it down. Boy, did it pack tight! So I took the rest of the straw and mulch and did areas as a walking path ...I will see if a weed can get through that!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM

74,975 posts, read 87,396,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Just pull the dang things out.

Gardening is WORK people. LOL.
That sometimes is easier said than done, depending on the area size and what was there before. I know our vegetable garden was grass prior to us moving here. Yes it is a raised garden but we still get the weeks (known as grass) and the runners are just about impossible to get out. We have one section we used cardboard on, it is working great, but the section doesn't have enough top soil to plant a lot of deep rooted veggies. By next year, hopefully it will be better.

There is also our rock drive that goes from the front of our lot to the back, hubby tried to pull all the weeds the year we moved here. By the time he had finished 1/2 of the yard the weeds were back up. We are retired and still don't have the time to keep them under control without usein some chemicals.

I think we all know gardening is work, would you suggest, if we don't have 5 or 6 hours a day to donate to our yards we should live in condos?

Nita

Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 AM

26,467 posts, read 25,426,342 times
yanno, I'm wondering if these weeds are English Ivy?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,573,853 times
for mb1547 - no, I don't have bindweed, I just battle some other kinds of long rooted devils.
Having read about the trials people have suffered with bindweed, though, I looked into it and found that someone on another gardening forum had managed (with a lot of work and persistence and cans and jars full of weedkiller) to get rid of them.
Here's a link:
bindweed - Weeds Forum - GardenWeb

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,499,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That sometimes is easier said than done,
+++ It's always easier said than done. I know pulling weeds is hard work. I spent an hour doing it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are retired and still don't have the time to keep them under control without usein some chemicals.

I think we all know gardening is work, would you suggest, if we don't have 5 or 6 hours a day to donate to our yards we should live in condos?

Nita
I think we've had this discussion before.
If gravel driveways are not installed properly, they'll get a lot of weeds.

And it sounds like you're a victim of bermudagrass which is an unremovable tattoo on the planet.

But in neither case is using chemical herbicides out of convenience being the best steward of the land that you can be. That doesn't mean you should move to a condo but you're obviously dealing with the consequences of someone else's mistakes. I assure you, there are sustainable, earth friendly solutions to both problems.

Last edited by cittic10; 05-03-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 AM

I had a problem with English Ivy...they were climbing up the trees and chocking out all the bushes. English Ivy will eventually kill trees. Nasty stuff...so what you can do if you don't want to pull them...is maybe cover them with heavy duty black plastic so they don't get any light of day...(if it's a small area) for one year, and that should take care of them?

Or you can pour salt on them, the salt you use to keep from slipping on ice.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,499,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I had a problem with English Ivy...they were climbing up the trees and chocking out all the bushes. English Ivy will eventually kill trees. Nasty stuff...so what you can do if you don't want to pull them...is maybe cover them with heavy duty black plastic so they don't get any light of day...(if it's a small area) for one year, and that should take care of them?

Or you can pour salt on them, the salt you use to keep from slipping on ice.

The thing to remember with pulling weeds is if you don't pull the whole plant out including all the roots, if there is energy still in the roots, the weed will come back. You'll have to keep pulling and pulling (or mowing and mowing) until it runs out of steam. If you nip it in the bud quickly before newly emerged leaves have time to turn sunlight into food then you'll eventually get it. It just requires you to stay on top of it.

For plants with deep or extensive root systems, like english ivy, it usually takes multiple herbicide applications to get it. As a rule of thumb, anything that can be easily completely killed by roundup can be easily pulled out with your hands. Turning brown and then coming back a year later is not killed... it's just a leave of absence from the above ground world.

So instead of the plastic sheeting, I would set a time each week for walking around your property and checking on the weeds and pulling or cutting weeds.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
The thing to remember with pulling weeds is if you don't pull the whole plant out including all the roots, if there is energy still in the roots, the weed will come back. You'll have to keep pulling and pulling (or mowing and mowing) until it runs out of steam. If you nip it in the bud quickly before newly emerged leaves have time to turn sunlight into food then you'll eventually get it. It just requires you to stay on top of it.

For plants with deep or extensive root systems, like english ivy, it usually takes multiple herbicide applications to get it. As a rule of thumb, anything that can be easily completely killed by roundup can be easily pulled out with your hands. Turning brown and then coming back a year later is not killed... it's just a leave of absence from the above ground world.

So instead of the plastic sheeting, I would set a time each week for walking around your property and checking on the weeds and pulling or cutting weeds.
ohhhh man, let me tell you, it wasn't easy pulling out this English Ivy, b/c they were left go for so long, they actually grew roots underground...
what a job that was, and there is still some there, but I keep hitting it with weed killer and salt...

Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,679,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

So do you honestly believe, that spraying a little bit of weed killer around your home is going to change things.
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden