Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
That stuff, particularly by Monsanto, gets into the water supply and is difficult to get out. It's almost as bad as DDT. Roundup is basically toxic waste.
Where do you get your information? Sounds a whole lot like propaganda to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
CBL, I think the point here is that if each one of us do are part to prevent the use of such chemicals, change for the better happens for our families, our community , our country, the world will occur by reducing the accumulation of these chemicals over time in our bodies and the environment. . When you begin to use more natural products, you begin to see it is more effective, much faster and better than those chemicals which cost a arm and a leg and you or your childrens' health..that's all.
Isn't vinegar a chemical also? What do you suppose happens to it after you use it to kill weeds - does it just disappear? Has vinegar ever been tested as a lawn chemical or is it OK to use it because we buy it when we get groceries?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Isn't vinegar a chemical also? What do you suppose happens to it after you use it to kill weeds - does it just disappear? Has vinegar ever been tested as a lawn chemical or is it OK to use it because we buy it when we get groceries?
If you read my previous post I use vinegar for acid loving plants at 5% acidty and killing at 20% acidity; same product, different strengths giving different results. You know the quote "too much of anything can harm you"... it about balance and common sense IMHO. Don't use 20 % to kill off a whole backyard, just get a hose and soak the soil, place the nozzle at the root of the weeds and the weeds are real easy to pull up then do the 4 to 5 layer "dip" on it to prevent them from coming back or at least slow them down.

The problem is that people don't want to get out there and physically do the work, they want something to "put down." I have done composting, used natural products (i.e. corn gluten, neem and homemade garlic/pepper oils, wood ash from my fireplace, bought soil bacteria adding milk and mollasses (or dissolved sugar if you like) to feed the bacteria to spread throughout the yard and have had FAR better and larger plants in a very short period of time than chemicals...less than three years in fact. Now, I don't have to treat the lawn but the vegetable I do because of the insect eating my veggies but then again I still use the oils on them every other day. Sounds like to often to get out there? For those who are lazy it does but since you are out there, why not pull up those weeds while they are small and easy to pull; 15 to 20 minute of your time won't hurt. My plants and veggies are huge to say the least, my soil is FULL of worms ( a natural form of worm composting) and my yard attracts butterflies, ladybugs and birds which may be a positive for some and a negative for others. Just try it...you will be truly amazed at the results over using chemicals. Plus you save tons of money in the process.

I also forgot to say I also have a couple of chickens which I feed the weeds to and have a beehive which helps pollunate all of my fruit and vegetables..I wouldn't want chemical around those things I will get eggs and honey from

Last edited by eyewrist; 05-09-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Indeed. And another good point is made that I forgot to mention -- weeds eventually develop tolerances to most Monsanto products, so we may as well seek alternatives now, rather than later.
I have the typical problem with weeds growing in sidewalk separations. I pulled them out by hand, over and over. This was the best solution because I often got the roots or part of them.

For a short time we used herbicide on them. The herbicide had them coming back very quickly. It seemed to just treat the tops of the plants. It needed to be applied over and over and was not as effective as pulling the things up by hand. I think there may be seeds that are not killed by the herbicide and they may develop resistance over time.

Then I got this little gadget that uses propane and burns them out. This seems to be a better solution. I think it destroys the seeds, and if you do a good job, the root may be injured as well. I think using fire for this purpose may be illegal in some states. Also, you have to stomp on the area after treating it just to ensure there are no sparks that could cause problems, and you should hang around a bit also, to be sure that nothing caught fire. Also, you need to do this on a day with no wind.

Frankly, our yard is zoysia. I don't believe in putting a plant where it clearly does not want to be. Zoysia is not as pretty as normal grass, but is hardy and spreads and kills weeds in its path. It needs a bit of aeration every now and then. There are evidently different varieties. You can google for the cooperative extension in your state to get good information on both weeds and grasses in your area.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:51 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Not at all. I will vouch for the poster. It is strange that you have not heard of this information on pesticides, and especially on Monsanto. It's as though you were living on another planet, or maybe have a dog hunting for Monsanto?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 AM

5,335 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Many years ago I came across a book by Jerry Baker, America's Master Gardener. Since then I have gardened organically.
Here is a link to his web page. Several recipes are located there. For weeds I use the one with GIN. Works every time, but you must be vigilant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Not at all. I will vouch for the poster. It is strange that you have not heard of this information on pesticides, and especially on Monsanto. It's as though you were living on another planet, or maybe have a dog hunting for Monsanto?
Or maybe its because I've had pesticide certification since the mid 70's and obviously know a whole bunch more about the subject than you do.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,279 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned chlorine bleach. It's cheap and effective. Dilute it 10:1 with water and it goes a long way. It's quite useful on masonry patios where you have zillions of little weeds popping up out of every crevice

For an isolated plant or two with very deep roots where bleach won't kill it, I just burn the plant with a propane torch

Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I do use weedkiller, but these things just don't seem to care. They have long trailing roots, and whenever I get rid of them, some new ones sort of meander over and refill the space. I've been spraying some of the same areas with Roundup or Spectracide for 12 years now.
Depending where they are, I would use boiling water. I do on the sidewalk, and I'm about to on the driveway. Cheapest and easiest IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
An elderly man told me a great definition of a "weed." He said it is "ANYTHING growing in a place YOU don't want it to be."
And that is basically true. There are plenty of beautiful "weeds" out there and they all have a purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Try boiling water...but mulch and more mulch is the way to go. If you can't reach it, cut back whatever is in your way.

Quote:
Bah, you must be working in the pesticide industry. Everyone know that stuff is bad mojo.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned chlorine bleach. It's cheap and effective. Dilute it 10:1 with water and it goes a long way. It's quite useful on masonry patios where you have zillions of little weeds popping up out of every crevice

For an isolated plant or two with very deep roots where bleach won't kill it, I just burn the plant with a propane torch
Great suggestions. I hadn't thought of a torch -- I'll try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden