Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:00 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times

Advertisements

Why don't you stop killing and start loving.
I love all the plants and flowers and, "weeds".
I grow a lot of weeds and I get loads of pretty flowers in return.
Why is it a "weed", anyway? Because some dummy decided to call it that a long time ago? Now, like lemmings, everyone should follow?

This puts a damper on my day.
I need to go to the buffet.

Last edited by rainroosty; 05-05-2012 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
the gardening editor, in our paper today, suggested Vinegar in the holes after pulling the weeds as much as you can. She did not say we shouldn't use weed killer I will add, she just mentioned the alternative if it works.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
CBL, I think the point here is that if each one of us do are part to prevent the use of such chemicals, change for the better happens for our families, our community , our country, the world will occur by reducing the accumulation of these chemicals over time in our bodies and the environment. . When you begin to use more natural products, you begin to see it is more effective, much faster and better than those chemicals which cost a arm and a leg and you or your childrens' health..that's all.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Why is it a "weed", anyway? Because some dummy decided to call it that a long time ago? Now, like lemmings, everyone should follow?

An elderly man told me a great definition of a "weed." He said it is "ANYTHING growing in a place YOU don't want it to be."
And that is basically true. There are plenty of beautiful "weeds" out there and they all have a purpose.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

LOL...thanks for the comic relief.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:56 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
CBL, I think the point here is that if each one of us do are part to prevent the use of such chemicals, change for the better happens for our families, our community , our country, the world will occur by reducing the accumulation of these chemicals over time in our bodies and the environment. . When you begin to use more natural products, you begin to see it is more effective, much faster and better than those chemicals which cost a arm and a leg and you or your childrens' health..that's all.
Indeed. And another good point is made that I forgot to mention -- weeds eventually develop tolerances to most Monsanto products, so we may as well seek alternatives now, rather than later.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
Try boiling water...but mulch and more mulch is the way to go. If you can't reach it, cut back whatever is in your way. It will grow back.

You could also try planting something that will take over...in Aus, it's convulvulus or bamboo.

A pest all by itself, however.

Personally my garden is FULL of mulch, then once or twice a year I LIGHTLY sspray whatever weeds I can see with roundup. The amounts I use stays on the plant and would be totally insignificant to the planet when compared to the poisons pumped out every day by the traffic nearby, or even your average cigarette smoker.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Try boiling water...but mulch and more mulch is the way to go. If you can't reach it, cut back whatever is in your way. It will grow back.

You could also try planting something that will take over...in Aus, it's convulvulus or bamboo.

A pest all by itself, however.

Personally my garden is FULL of mulch, then once or twice a year I LIGHTLY sspray whatever weeds I can see with roundup. The amounts I use stays on the plant and would be totally insignificant to the planet when compared to the poisons pumped out every day by the traffic nearby, or even your average cigarette smoker.
Bamboo, like Mint can be a pain in the you know what, plus many of us have trouble with weeds (grass, in our veggie gardens) digging up and distroying the veggies isn't what we want, no they will not come back..

Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Is there something I can add to the vinegar to increase its effectiveness in killing weeds? I'd rather not use Roundup or any other product by Monsanto the criminal liars.
I've glanced through some of the comments and even though I'm not the op, here is a response from me:

We have an enormous 1-year-old shiloh shepherd who puts everything into his mouth.....his vet bills have been $$$ and he is prone to bacterial infections...he is a good reason not to use a pesticide...

I use vinegar and it kills a lot of them but I have noticed that it takes a few applicatinos to kill dandelions and wild morning glories......their roots are soooo long..... I don't water it down.....and I don't add anything.

I like the price of vinegar compared to pesticide.....store brand is cheaper than Heinz.

I do pull a lot of weeds, but I have acreage.....and there are other things in life besides bending down and physically pulling weeds all day. I mostly spray the vinegar in the rock flower beds and out in the vegetable garden in the pea gravel that is spread around the raised garden boxes....

My husband uses weed and feed on the lawn.....we keep the dog inside for awhile..... He sprays a weed killer in certain areas that are beyond the buried fence..(dog fence)....

Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Also, 'loving weeds' is not an option.......they are plants just like anything else, so they take nutrients out of the soil that would otherwise be feeding flowers or vegetables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden