U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,677,025 times

Advertisements

Is there something I can add to the vinegar to increase its effectiveness in killing weeds? I'd rather not use Roundup or any other product by Monsanto the criminal liars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,242,630 times
You can use salt. Canning, course/kosher or the stuff you use up north to de-ice sidewalks & driveways. Be careful not to get it on your concrete as it will desitigrate it over time.

Luck

Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,496,331 times
Just pull the dang things out.

Gardening is WORK people. LOL.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,572,661 times
I found this site where someone actually tested vinegar straight and in combinations.
Vinegar Weed Killer: Grandma's Recipe For Fast Weed Control

The vinegar doesn't work on some plants, kills others nicely, but it doesn't kill down to the root, so you have to apply it often and keep on rooting weeds.

If your main problem is an objection to Monsanto, there's Spectracide, made by another company.

Of course, I have weeds that NOTHING eradicates. I spray and spray, pull and pull, dig and dig. They come back anyway.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 AM

26,455 posts, read 25,402,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I found this site where someone actually tested vinegar straight and in combinations.
Vinegar Weed Killer: Grandma's Recipe For Fast Weed Control

The vinegar doesn't work on some plants, kills others nicely, but it doesn't kill down to the root, so you have to apply it often and keep on rooting weeds.

If your main problem is an objection to Monsanto, there's Spectracide, made by another company.

Of course, I have weeds that NOTHING eradicates. I spray and spray, pull and pull, dig and dig. They come back anyway.
why not just purchase a weed killer?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,572,661 times
Quote:
I do use weedkiller, but these things just don't seem to care. They have long trailing roots, and whenever I get rid of them, some new ones sort of meander over and refill the space. I've been spraying some of the same areas with Roundup or Spectracide for 12 years now.
The only thing that's ever gotten rid of them in a space is a thick layer of newspaper, topped with a thick layer of mulch. I add another layer of mulch every couple years or so. Problem is, the newspaper trick just can't go in some places.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 PM

10,092 posts, read 7,212,358 times
Is it bind weed? I'm only asking because it's the toughest plant to kill that I know of. It's a vine that will smother everything given a chance, that spreads everywhere with those long trailing roots. Good luck if it is--that stuff is just about impossible to kill, even with herbicide. I've used cardboard with mulch over the top and it's worked well, just as your newspaper/mulch solution worked as well. Since you can't do that in the location where you're working, you may just have to go out weekly to pull it up to keep it under control. I hate that stuff.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Just pull the dang things out.

Gardening is WORK people. LOL.
Thanks...that would be good advice if they didn't grow back in just a few weeks, and to do the whole yards takes 8 hours.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
That stuff, particularly by Monsanto, gets into the water supply and is difficult to get out. It's almost as bad as DDT. Roundup is basically toxic waste.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 AM

26,455 posts, read 25,402,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
That stuff, particularly by Monsanto, gets into the water supply and is difficult to get out. It's almost as bad as DDT. Roundup is basically toxic waste.
so is all the stuff from Decks...all that pressure treated lumber is extremely toxic and leaches into the water tables...big time...!!! So do all the chemical accidents at our less then up to date plants here in America, which one never hears about, b/c it's never reported.

Just this morning, on Channel 6 Action news, they were doing a report on Mad Cow Disease, and they said, so far, in the U.S. no one has died from it, yet, I know a young man whose mother died from it?????
They also didn't report that it takes years to show up in humans? And that people have in fact died from it!

It makes me really livid, how people go to the extremes on some of this stuff which is small, and yet, do not know about all the other stuff that is leaching into the grounds causing so much cancer.

How bout the arsinic they put in our water supplies, and yet, say it's not toxic....????? Our town borough admitted putting it in, but claimed it is not harmful??????

How bout all the natural radon, in the ground, which is very Prevelent in the U.S. that no one can humanly do anything about, but is present in many homes here in PA?

How bout all the chemicals that are put into the ground to livin up the nutrients so that we can eat fresh veggies? Do you REALLY believe it's all organic and looks so beautiful b/c they don't use any sprays?

How bout all the garbage that is dumped into the ocean every single day, all day long on huge barges out of NYC?

There are more children being born with cancer then ever before, and so many cases of brain cancers, and yet, people still use cell phones like they are surgecially attached to they're ears.

Years ago, they told you not to stand in front of a microwave, but people do. They also proved that cancer came to families who lived in homes around electrical wires?

So do you honestly believe, that spraying a little bit of weed killer around your home is going to change things.

For years, they've been terrorizing human beings about smoking, and 2nd hand smoke, yet, there are less people in the U.S. smoking then ever before????? Yet, they blame all the cancers on smoking and even print those really disgusting adds about smoking...yet, say nothing about all the garbage dumps (land fills) like in Pottstown PA where people are seriously ill and getting all kinds of nasty diseases over there?

I'm not angry with you or yelling at you or trying to discredit you, but I really do think people intellectually do not think, or have enough common sense to realize all of this? They believe everything they're told and refuse to think for themselves. Which My dad told me would happen when I was a little girl. We are perfectly happy to believe all the idiotic crap that the liberal media reports....instead of seriously listening and reading and asking ourselves these questions?

Shall I go on?

Shall I go on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden