Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 AM

771 posts, read 1,458,822 times

Advertisements

I just had a couple of dead pine trees cut down. However, the tree stumps were not removed. I would like to plant a couple new trees to replace them as soon as possible since it will take a while for them to be big enough to serve as a privacy screen, and I think there is enough room to plant them despite the stumps. However, I am concerned about the negative effects that having the remains of the tree stumps nearby may cause to the new trees and other more established pine trees that surround them. In particular, I've read that by leaving the stumps I am risking having an invasion of honey fungus in the future?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Did the pine trees that were there have amarillia/honey fungus???

Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM

771 posts, read 1,458,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Did the pine trees that were there have amarillia/honey fungus???
I don't think so. Though to be honest I can't say for sure what did cause them to die, since they were already dead when I moved into this house. I was just wondering if the dead stumps wouldn't attract any type of fungus, or in anyway hurt the new trees though. Someday I will probably remove the stumps, its just that its expensive and its something I can't yet do.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I wouldn't worry about it then.
If you don't see any fruiting bodies or any signs of it the amarillia then I'd leave the stumps there and in a year or two when they turn to mush, it makes a good amendment for the veggie garden.

Even if the former trees were infected, in order to prevent the spread, you'd have to remove all the roots too not just the stump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden