U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 AM

30,536 posts, read 20,737,722 times

Advertisements

because i'm unwilling to cut down any of my old oak trees, the sunniest place on my property only gets perhaps 5-6 hours a day of direct sunlilght.

what could i plant that would do well under these conditions?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,918,102 times
Hi UB

You are in DC or Maryland? Not sure what zone that is...

Some summer veggies like 6-8 hrs direct sunlight...tomatos, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, okra...but if you try say a cherry tomato, which takes less time to mature, you may be able to have a decent harvest. There are dwarf varieties of some veggies that require less sun, water, time to mature...these could work for you. Most herbs would do well....you could also start from transplants instead of seeds.

Still, you could go ahead and try anything you really like and then see how it goes the first yr...then you will know next yr what grows/produces best. Gardening, while there is lots of info etc., is really just trial and error.
I am growing in containers: tomato (cherry), eggplant, cukes, small peppers and lots of fresh herbs...lemons and limes, mandarin oranges. I have lettuce and spinach finishing up (grown in shoe holders that hang...)

Had no idea how well they would do...but having good luck in spite of just using containers!

Your best bet is to plant spring/fall veggies (before and after leafing out/falling of leaves). Kale, spinach, lettuce, snow peas, green peas etc all love spring. For fall: broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, any type of greens...and beans.

Have fun, enjoy those oaks.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,086,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
because i'm unwilling to cut down any of my old oak trees, the sunniest place on my property only gets perhaps 5-6 hours a day of direct sunlilght.

what could i plant that would do well under these conditions?
TIA
I hear you!!!
I live amongst the mighty 100yr ol' oak trees as well... wow! What a sight every where I turn from my windows, deck, outside & inside!!! Just like Sherwood forest my DH always says. Thus my locale is also very very "shady" (love the shade).... great for electric bills though I must say!

I do have a back patch of little exposure (not much) of land...
I do think 5-6 hours of direct sun is more than enough... most seed packages I read says min. of 3-4 anyways...

For the more direct sun exposure, I planted red scallions, onions, garlic, carrots, tomato, peppers, horseradishes, various herbs etc...

For the shadier part, I planted lettuce (the shadier but still sun exposure the less bitter harvest), malabar spinach (a vine that thrives in the shade but is also hardy in the sun; loves moisture), daikon (doing good so far 6" tall; it is a juicer root than carrot, more moist condition I think), chinese broccoli, believe it or not my chives & bunching "green" scallions are great in partial shade (thriving at harvest height right now).

Good luck to your garden!!!

Oak is awesome...
In the wet June - Oct... check for edible mushrooms & morels... you can even "plant them edibles" just to be safe when in question.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hi UB

You are in DC or Maryland? Not sure what zone that is...

Some summer veggies like 6-8 hrs direct sunlight...tomatos, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, okra...but if you try say a cherry tomato, which takes less time to mature, you may be able to have a decent harvest. There are dwarf varieties of some veggies that require less sun, water, time to mature...these could work for you. Most herbs would do well....you could also start from transplants instead of seeds.

Still, you could go ahead and try anything you really like and then see how it goes the first yr...then you will know next yr what grows/produces best. Gardening, while there is lots of info etc., is really just trial and error.
I am growing in containers: tomato (cherry), eggplant, cukes, small peppers and lots of fresh herbs...lemons and limes, mandarin oranges. I have lettuce and spinach finishing up (grown in shoe holders that hang...)

Had no idea how well they would do...but having good luck in spite of just using containers!

Your best bet is to plant spring/fall veggies (before and after leafing out/falling of leaves). Kale, spinach, lettuce, snow peas, green peas etc all love spring. For fall: broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, any type of greens...and beans.

Have fun, enjoy those oaks.
thanks gbh, long time no see

i'm in MD; i have tried tomatoes, and the ones i had in pots on the porch did far better than the ones in the ground, even though i think they got a similar amount of sun. and then of course i had some terrible issues first with deer, and then woodchucks, coming in and eating much of what had managed to grow in limited sunlight

do you think brussel sprouts and kale would do well? i think i will definitely try brussel sprouts, as they are very neat to grow, plus i love to eat em' - whereas, as a kid, i would have rather taken a club to the knee than eat a single one! odd how a persons tastes change. thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
I hear you!!!
I live amongst the mighty 100yr ol' oak trees as well... wow! What a sight every where I turn from my windows, deck, outside & inside!!! Just like Sherwood forest my DH always says. Thus my locale is also very very "shady" (love the shade).... great for electric bills though I must say!

I do have a back patch of little exposure (not much) of land...
I do think 5-6 hours of direct sun is more than enough... most seed packages I read says min. of 3-4 anyways...

For the more direct sun exposure, I planted red scallions, onions, garlic, carrots, tomato, peppers, horseradishes, various herbs etc...

For the shadier part, I planted lettuce (the shadier but still sun exposure the less bitter harvest), malabar spinach (a vine that thrives in the shade but is also hardy in the sun; loves moisture), daikon (doing good so far 6" tall; it is a juicer root than carrot, more moist condition I think), chinese broccoli, believe it or not my chives & bunching "green" scallions are great in partial shade (thriving at harvest height right now).

Good luck to your garden!!!

Oak is awesome...
In the wet June - Oct... check for edible mushrooms & morels... you can even "plant them edibles" just to be safe when in question.
hey, thanks a lot for the suggestions
do you actually get anything out of your malabar spinach? because i saw it for the first time at the state fair 3 years ago and was fascinated;they were twining all over the place and growing at least 8 feet tall on a trellis. plus, i thought they tasted pretty good, even though some people are turned off by the somewhat mucilaginous texture of the leaves... so i bought some seeds, planted the seedlings [as well as giving out at least a dozen to friends] - and the dang things just sat there, and never got bigger than maybe 6 inches tall. not just mine, but the ones i gave away as well.

daikon, hmmm. that is an interestng possibility. i sometimes buy korean radishes at the local korean grocery, and they are pretty good most of the time, but occasionally too pungent for my taste.

as for the oaks - i agree, i would rather put up with too little sun than take these 90+ year old beauties down. i'd rather moan now and then about not having enough sun than to lose those

Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM

74,995 posts, read 87,429,162 times
5 to 6 hours is barely going to cut it, but I would get some seeds and give it a try. don't spend a lot, start slow and see what happens. You have already mentioned the tomatoes worked in pots.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,086,419 times
Quote:

i'm in MD; i have tried tomatoes, and the ones i had in pots on the porch did far better than the ones in the ground, even though i think they got a similar amount of sun. and then of course i had some terrible issues first with deer, and then woodchucks, coming in and eating much of what had managed to grow in limited sunlight

do you think brussel sprouts and kale would do well? i think i will definitely try brussel sprouts, as they are very neat to grow, plus i love to eat em' - whereas, as a kid, i would have rather taken a club to the knee than eat a single one! odd how a persons tastes change. thanks for your input

do you actually get anything out of your malabar spinach? because i saw it for the first time at the state fair 3 years ago and was fascinated;they were twining all over the place and growing at least 8 feet tall on a trellis. plus, i thought they tasted pretty good, even though some people are turned off by the somewhat mucilaginous texture of the leaves... so i bought some seeds, planted the seedlings [as well as giving out at least a dozen to friends] - and the dang things just sat there, and never got bigger than maybe 6 inches tall. not just mine, but the ones i gave away as well.

daikon, hmmm. that is an interestng possibility. i sometimes buy korean radishes at the local korean grocery, and they are pretty good most of the time, but occasionally too pungent for my taste.

as for the oaks - i agree, i would rather put up with too little sun than take these 90+ year old beauties down. i'd rather moan now and then about not having enough sun than to lose those
Brussel sprouts & kale would thrive in a shadier area.

For a great soil or soil mix, try out Mel's mix... it really works wonders.
(I use the formula for some while this new batch of soil, I just use Black Magic {peat moss & compost already in the soil} & vermiculite to stretch my available mix). So I think even working some vermiculite into your existing soil might be real good for your garden... compost & fertilize as needed of course.

I am putting down Kale myself this weekend.

As for the Malabar Spinach, mine is only 3 inches now... & thriving (looks healthy on Mel's Mix). So if it will flourish, I will keep you posted on that one.

I also love to plant "companion plants" to throw off & confuse deer (which I have tons in my back yard). I usually surround my grounds with pungent plants like garlic chive, marigold, spicy horse radishes, onions & garlic... I heard sunflowers are great too... may try these as well.

My DH says my garden is "Artsy" in the mad crazy way... he loves his garden in a row while mine is just a mad maze of some times row & sometimes a whole bunches of veggies in a tight area together... very unorganized (but I do tag them sorta) good to throw off deer as well so they don't follow the line eating & will have some survivors especially if planted next to plants they don't like..

I am lucky on my grounds with woodchucks (actually don't think we have one) & to rid of mole / field mice etc.. my cat will either chase away the smaller than her critter or eat them.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,918,102 times
UB:

Brussel sprouts and all the cruciferous family grow well in early spring/fall; kale does particularly well in fall, even in much cooler temps. I despised the lowly little bs when young but now-tossed w/olive oil, s&p...then roasted in oven

Interesting, ALL my container grown veggies, like your tomatos, are doing incredibly well -no insect issues, etc.

A simple metal fencing for the garden d/t the animals in the area? My neighbor once had one about 4 feet high--kept the little dearies out.

gbh

Quote:

Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 AM

74,995 posts, read 87,429,162 times
My potted plants are doing unbelievable well. I think it could be due to being in pots, they stay a little warmer on the cooler nights. I just want to remember not to forget to give them enough to drink when the summer really sets in. I already have a lot of pepper blossoms and some babies (very young babies I will add

Nita

Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
UB:

Brussel sprouts and all the cruciferous family grow well in early spring/fall; kale does particularly well in fall, even in much cooler temps. I despised the lowly little bs when young but now-tossed w/olive oil, s&p...then roasted in oven

Interesting, ALL my container grown veggies, like your tomatos, are doing incredibly well -no insect issues, etc.

A simple metal fencing for the garden d/t the animals in the area? My neighbor once had one about 4 feet high--kept the little dearies out.

gbh
well, unfortunately i got a late start, so spring is already out. thanks for the kale idea, that might be a good one to try as well, but i'll bet my local wildlife would love it :/

i have a post here about my experiences trying to keep deer away. i can't really afford to put in a decent 4-ft fence right now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My potted plants are doing unbelievable well. I think it could be due to being in pots, they stay a little warmer on the cooler nights. I just want to remember not to forget to give them enough to drink when the summer really sets in. I already have a lot of pepper blossoms and some babies (very young babies I will add

Nita
what size pots are you using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or