U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,169,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

And if they did that with no evidence of imminent lethal force to be used against them then they would be acting against use of lethal force laws, including castle doctine or stand your ground laws.
Pleeeease, I live in a gun carrying state, the law in the favor of the property owner here Taking pictures of who knows what..flowers...children..property...what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM

40,456 posts, read 50,087,080 times
Several times I've had people come into my yard and take flower pictures, both front and back yard. Most of the times I've not been home, but did see the pictures later in the newspaper. I don't mind. We have no fences in our community and many people admire my plants and their flowers, so no big deal.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 AM

36,501 posts, read 45,590,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Several times I've had people come into my yard and take flower pictures, both front and back yard. Most of the times I've not been home, but did see the pictures later in the newspaper. I don't mind. We have no fences in our community and many people admire my plants and their flowers, so no big deal.
obviously you don't have young children at home who get alarmed to see a stranger in the backyard. I do and I don't like it one bit. It is an invasion of privacy and trespassing.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 AM

75,115 posts, read 87,531,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
obviously you don't have young children at home who get alarmed to see a stranger in the backyard. I do and I don't like it one bit. It is an invasion of privacy and trespassing.
i can understand the alarmed part, that is why I would probably ask them if I could help them...other than that, I guess I just don't get upset as easier as others, cause I think many are over reacting. Again, my view only.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM

47,406 posts, read 45,824,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
we were talking flowers here - not guns..
This thread is not about flowers. It's about property rights.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM

4,508 posts, read 6,662,391 times
Why not wall it in? You certainly wouldn't have prying eyes then. Then you could add bars to your windows and add a barred storm door. Your dog did his job and you were alerted. I find it regrettable that you an people like you have such little trust in others.

God forbid someone looked at your garden without your permission!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 AM

6,591 posts, read 21,685,967 times
again, the problem isnt someone looking at a persons garden...the problem is someone walking onto someone elses property without permission, TRESSPASSING. the person wasnt taking picture or admiring from the public sidewalk, but instad they just wandered onto the propertylike they owned the place. MY land is NOT public property...ask or keep off.

ive known people go through gates over fences ect...these people have NO REPECT...

what if someone falls off a broken step and cracks their head open...you dont have no tresspassing signs up so its YOUR fault (even if they wernt inited) what if your dogs out in its own fenced back yard and someone decided to wander on in and gets bitten? YOUR dogs life is at risk...
What it someone leaves a gate open and your pet (or young child) slips out into the street, it only takes a blink of an eye for these kind of accidents to happen.

RESPECT is what this is about, not flowers, but respect, it is increidbly disrespectfull to LET YOURSELF onlto someone elses property...if you want to look, ASK, its not hard!

think of it this way..you have a beatufiul sculpture in your livingroom that can be seen from the street...
people looking through your window from the street, no problem...people letting themselves INTO your house to take a closer look however...that becomes an issue.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 AM

36,501 posts, read 45,590,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This thread is not about flowers. It's about property rights.
You are absolutely right. Amazes me people are thinking I don't want people to enjoy my flowers. I plant in the front just for that purpose and if they want to stop and wander in the front yard I don't mind. But my idea of BACKYARD is PRIVATE. It's not that difficult concept to grasp. But then again maybe it is.

I had a family when we first moved in who helped themselves at any time of day to our backyard swingset. Parents, children and nanny sitting on our park benches, on the lawn playing in our back yard. I was aghast until somebody here on CD asked if they were European. they were Russian. Apparently the idea of property rights when it came to play areas was a new concept for them. We worked it out and no further problems. Kids are welcome any time but not strangers with cameras who then come up with ridiculous excuse they got lost going up my driveway.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,543,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
I wouldn't advise doing this.

If one of the dogs ever did bite someone, you could be accused of knowing your dog is aggressive/dangerous. That's what happened to one of my neighbors about 25 years ago.
That is implying someone even has a dog. I put up a sign saying "Guard Dog Working. Do Not Enter", and I didn't even have a dog then.
When they were doing local blasting, they came around to the nearby houses, so they can look at the before/after foundations (to make sure they didn't crack them). I saw the guy in the truck, as he saw the sign, and he was afraid to get out of the truck. I told him not to worry. Perception/assumption can be a strong motivating factor.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM

4,626 posts, read 5,732,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why not wall it in? You certainly wouldn't have prying eyes then. Then you could add bars to your windows and add a barred storm door. Your dog did his job and you were alerted. I find it regrettable that you an people like you have such little trust in others.

God forbid someone looked at your garden without your permission!
Just look at the crime stats and you could see that our country has declined so good citizens should watch out for one another. Mocking someone for being alarmed by a stranger on private property only shows the depth of understanding for the issue being discussed. The days of Ozzie and Harriet are long gone and we really don't know who lives next door or what strangers want invading our private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden