U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM

19,184 posts, read 15,782,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Just look at the crime stats and you could see that our country has declined so good citizens should watch out for one another. Mocking someone for being alarmed by a stranger on private property only shows the depth of understanding for the issue being discussed. The days of Ozzie and Harriet are long gone and we really don't know who lives next door or what strangers want invading our private property.
Exactly! Also, the issue of liability which someone mentioned surely comes into play. Gee, what does it take to get privacy anymore, a 6 foot privacy fence and I bet there would still be some that came in. The nerve that some people have does not have any limit. Now, a problem I have had is someone coming to the door to ask for produce from my tiny little garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,719,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Your talking to me like I am white trash or something- <snip> --The environment in parts of Toronto is beautiful- couples stroll on nice up scale streets and admire every ones gardens... If I didn't know some terrific and intelligent people from Toronto I would infer from your misuse of "white trash" that people in Toronto are incredibly stupid in their use of colloquial English terms. You are talking about walking about on streets looking at front yards and gardens when the OP specifically spoke about someone coming all the way up her private driveway to the back of the house, the private portion of most normal suburban and urban single family homes. Equating strolls down a city boulevard isn't even close to being the same thing and you know it.

The point I was making was in the fact that some guy walks by a tree or vine and takes a clipping- of course they should ask..but if I see someone doing that..I would not flip out like they were stealing my first born. Who flipped out but you on this topic? If you did as much extensive gardening as you claim you would know that many plants that expert gardeners put in are expensive to purchase and nurture to specimen size and many now have patents which forbid asexual reproduction. The man clipped many of her expensive specimen plants not just a "vine" or "tree" as you put it, and he did it so he could then make a profit on the resulting plants he created! Since when is it less illegal to steal because it is just a plant?

It is hypocritical that a person who loves the natural world and the beauty of natural growth- would hate and distrust human beings- Hate? Really? Can you come up with any bigger exaggeration of what happened? From this nonsense of illogical thinking I would have to wonder what kind of binge you have been on. One has nothing to do with the other and the OP never said any such thing.

And yes you are _Paranoid...and YES - selfish- but you live in America - I don't guard my beauty - is share it- as if their eyes are going to steal it? Try using the English language correctly before spouting twattle and accusing someone you don't know about of being selfish when she has already said she would have been glad to show the woman her garden if she had asked and that she has done so on other occasions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why not wall it in? You certainly wouldn't have prying eyes then. Then you could add bars to your windows and add a barred storm door. Your dog did his job and you were alerted. I find it regrettable that you an people like you have such little trust in others.

God forbid someone looked at your garden without your permission!
I find the incredible lack of reading comprehension displayed in this thread mind boggling. The only thing that tops it is the condescending attitude of some who still cannot understand that walking into someones BACKYARD without an invitation to snoop, photograph or take something is illegal. It is no different than walking into someones home without invitation, or getting into a stranger's car to get a closer look at the radio without first checking with its owner. She never said anything about trying to prevent people from looking from public areas (like the sidewalk and street in front of her home) at her gardens, in fact she made comments to the opposite effect. Her backyard is not a public park and it was treated as such. It has nothing to do with trust in others, or worry about "prying eyes." As a mother of young children she had every right to be concerned to discover a complete stranger in a private area of her home.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM

40,456 posts, read 50,087,080 times
Whomever sent me a nasty note in the rep column, I'm not sure of what I posted to warrant those kind of comments, at least I did not appreciate it. Hope your day goes better.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,053,505 times
No Kudzo,
Now you know why people have to put up fences to keep the public out.
It's sad, but these are the times.
Privacy fences are not just for privacy anymore.
They are for protection.
I understand your feelings, I would feel the same.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:05 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,543,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Your talking to me like I am white trash or something- I will have you know I have been a gardener all my life- Every season- I grow- I water- I prune- I beautify...I create a little heaven whether it be the family garden back in the day...Or on a roof top down town (not an easy task)---The environment in parts of Toronto is beautiful- couples stroll on nice up scale streets and admire every ones gardens...There is no such thing as NOT peaceful enjoyment of natural beauty.

The point I was making was in the fact that some guy walks by a tree or vine and takes a clipping- of course they should ask..but if I see someone doing that..I would not flip out like they were stealing my first born.

It is hypocritical that a person who loves the natural world and the beauty of natural growth- would hate and distrust human beings-

And yes you are _Paranoid...and YES - selfish- but you live in America - I don't guard my beauty - is share it- as if their eyes are going to steal it?
Yeah, well you live in Canada, I presume. My condolences. Eh?

Trespassing is trespassing... Where I used to live in the US, that is a criminal offense, and you would likely be greeted by the business end of a firearm. I had 5 perennial gardens, and no one ever walked onto the property (well, it was huge), to look at them. We respected each others' privacy. Selfish? No. Respectful? Yes. Ask first.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,956,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Thanks for so swiftly proving my point, Oleg... like you, too many people think that just because they like something or want it, or even want to look at it, no one else's rights to the peaceful enjoyment of their own property, without wondering who is wandering around it for whatever reason, matter. And if you think that your property rights should be sacrosanct or at least respected by others, you get called names like "selfish" and "paranoid".

Unless your wazoo is out there with the owner, weeding, digging holes, fertilizing, planting, mulching, and watering, you have no business in their garden at any time, 'just looking' or not. Assuming that you do is not only rude, it's ignorant. People don't plant their gardens or orchards for others' enjoyment, no matter how beautiful or showy they are.
You're right. These days kids go door to door, scamming, pretending to sell magazines. People get easy jobs, maybe for the cable company, just to be able to look at the inside of your home and alert 'friends' that you've got some things worthy of stealing.

Cops close parks at night, clearing them so they can get payoffs from drug dealers.

Now, we should allow strangers taking pics of the back of our house? The entryways, maybe a back entrance? Maybe pics of what's in the garage?

Come on, we don't live in the good old days of Leave it to Beaver. Crime does not always happen to someone else.

These days police suggest that we take the license number of strange cars in residential areas, and yet we are expected to allow strangers to roam our property?

Last edited by goldengrain; 05-10-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Why not wall it in? You certainly wouldn't have prying eyes then. Then you could add bars to your windows and add a barred storm door. Your dog did his job and you were alerted. I find it regrettable that you an people like you have such little trust in others.

God forbid someone looked at your garden without your permission!
The papers, daily, have casualties who had trust in others. We are living in unusual times, or maybe we are just less naive than before.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM

1,064 posts, read 3,249,072 times
There's nothing that a shotgun and a call to the sheriff that won't help, at least in our case. We've caught people on my parents property and swimming in the river that runs through it. They even had to climb a 6 foot barbwire fence to get to the water. We posted No Trepassing signs and haven't had any issues since then. The nerve of people. I don't care what it is, private property is just that, private property. Ask for permission first. It isn't that hard.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:06 PM

15,857 posts, read 26,062,382 times
I take pictures of people window boxes here in Brooklyn, we go for walks and a load of people have plants and flowers in flower boxes on the ledges, they are so pretty.

Flower pots cascading down from the steps on their stoops, I take those as well. I load them up all on to the computer in groups I belong to, it is fun.
I have never had a problem with anyone, most time if someone is out, I will talk to them and say how pretty it is, and everyone is receptive.....

But.................. my picture taking is from the sidewalk or street only, which is public space. I would never think about going up someones walkway, or opening their gate and going on their property....that is just not acceptable, and to me, that takes a lot of nerve to do that, and most of all it isn't right.

I would never appreciate someone in my backyard. They don't belong there.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 05-10-2012 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 05:26 PM

I just love those flowers and ivy cascading down the front of buildings. New York is so much prettier now than it used to be - and the air is so much cleaner, too.

Boston Ivy turns red in the autumn and does not destroy building surfaces so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden