Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,772,135 times

Advertisements

My side and backyard gardens is very pretty this time of year. The other day my kids were very alarmed to see a strange woman just walking around and taking pictures.

If she had come to the door and explained she would love to see my garden I would have been happy to let her or even walk around with her but it annoys me no end she just walked up my driveway and onto my property like it was public space. It also frightened my kids and the dogs started barking like crazy. When I caught up with her on the way down the driveway she explained she had gotten lost. Really? You got lost on foot on my dead end street in my backyard with a camera? I was so flustered I couldn't think of a thing to say but I sure could think of lots of things I wished I had said.

I would never even think of doing such a thing. That's why we have garden tours in our communities.

A few years ago I even noticed a man walking around taking cuttings and dropping them in a bag. He was going around at a fast pace and I could not get to him. Isn't that stealing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,344,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Isn't that stealing?
Yes and that's also trespassing.
Why don't you put up some "posted" signs if you haven't already and next time it happens, rather than chase someone away or confront them, get a description of them approximate height, weight, clothes, race and anyone with them as well as their vehicle make model, color and license plate number.

With that you have everything you need to report the suspicious person to the agency who is trained to deal with them.

Observe and report.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,454,053 times
I would be very upset! I would post signs saying....dangerous dog, beware! I am frequently amazed at the nerve some people have regarding personal space/ belongings.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM

9,295 posts, read 16,577,548 times
You can purchase signs that say "No Treaspassing". Where I live you have to post them every 50 feet on trees.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,087,214 times
I wouldn't be worried but I would nicely tell her that the law (here in the USA) only permits photos taken FROM a public right of way. So she could stand on the sidewalk and take photos ok but otherwise, it was rather presumptious of her. I think most people simply are not aware of the law or are so into what they are doing, they forget about privacy, etc.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
You must have some garden for people to want to take pictures or slips from your plants. I probably would not be terribly upset, but that is me. I am sure others would be.

Nita

Old 05-05-2012, 12:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,613,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My side and backyard gardens is very pretty this time of year. The other day my kids were very alarmed to see a strange woman just walking around and taking pictures.

If she had come to the door and explained she would love to see my garden I would have been happy to let her or even walk around with her but it annoys me no end she just walked up my driveway and onto my property like it was public space. It also frightened my kids and the dogs started barking like crazy. When I caught up with her on the way down the driveway she explained she had gotten lost. Really? You got lost on foot on my dead end street in my backyard with a camera? I was so flustered I couldn't think of a thing to say but I sure could think of lots of things I wished I had said.

I would never even think of doing such a thing. That's why we have garden tours in our communities.

A few years ago I even noticed a man walking around taking cuttings and dropping them in a bag. He was going around at a fast pace and I could not get to him. Isn't that stealing?
no Kudzu, I am often guilty of looking into other people's gardens, if a beautiful flower catches my eyes. How about posting a photo of your b/g for us to enjoy? Thank you,

Old 05-05-2012, 01:35 PM

588 posts, read 1,432,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I would be very upset! I would post signs saying....dangerous dog, beware! .

I wouldn't advise doing this.

If one of the dogs ever did bite someone, you could be accused of knowing your dog is aggressive/dangerous. That's what happened to one of my neighbors about 25 years ago.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,948,669 times
My mother has a beautiful garden roses and other flowers such as tulips and crocus and such more than i can mention here and no one i mean no one steps foot on her property . I think the German Sheppard Breeder sign intimidates some people . I know mom has one gsd that likes to scare people and he is not afraid of anything . He just looks at people and scares em . One day mom did see a lady wondering around and the gsd spotted her and scared the you know what out of her and Mom told her that if she had knocked on the door she would have and could have taken a look at my moms garden . That lady has not been back since . You see this particular gsd sneaks and then runs to the fence and barks . He just barks he does not do anything else but his bark and his stare will scare you .If I were you I would post a no tresspassing sign on your fence all around and also on your front yard as well . Mom has had to do so since that lady and being my mom is a breeder as well , you just never know .

Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,906,202 times
I would report to my local police, just to put them on notice. It in all likelihood is just what she said BUT just in case I would report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden