Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My side and backyard gardens is very pretty this time of year. The other day my kids were very alarmed to see a strange woman just walking around and taking pictures.........
This is what fences and gates with locks are for.

Seriously, if it is that easy for someone who may have wanted to admire your garden to trespass think how easy access to your property is for someone with even less noble intentions. You already stated you have children at home. What are you waiting for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 03:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would report to my local police, just to put them on notice. It in all likelihood is just what she said BUT just in case I would report it.
I think this still depends on whether the yard is fences, if someone is actually walking up, close to the door to take pix or something or if you have an open lot and just a really nice yard. We live in an area where rarely do you find anyone with fenced yards. Most of us have about 1/2 acre and I never think twice about who is walking by or what they are doing. If I saw them sneaking toward the side of the house I would feel a little differently.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Well, if the OP is only worried about those who might take further garden cuttings or photos from on the property a motion activated sprinkler, like the one used for deer deterrant, might stop that in short order.

Motion Detector Sprinkler | Motion Activated Sprinkler | Havahart.com

The Scarecrow Motion Sprinkler - Free Shipping!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My side and backyard gardens is very pretty this time of year. The other day my kids were very alarmed to see a strange woman just walking around and taking pictures.

If she had come to the door and explained she would love to see my garden I would have been happy to let her or even walk around with her but it annoys me no end she just walked up my driveway and onto my property like it was public space. It also frightened my kids and the dogs started barking like crazy. When I caught up with her on the way down the driveway she explained she had gotten lost. Really? You got lost on foot on my dead end street in my backyard with a camera? I was so flustered I couldn't think of a thing to say but I sure could think of lots of things I wished I had said.

I would never even think of doing such a thing. That's why we have garden tours in our communities.

A few years ago I even noticed a man walking around taking cuttings and dropping them in a bag. He was going around at a fast pace and I could not get to him. Isn't that stealing?

I would've called the cops.

Some people have NO IDEA and in America, often the first reaction to seeing a stranger on your property is to shoot first and ask questions later, so these people are being extremely foolish by trespassing like that.

Maybe a humorous sign...mind you, a lot of these retards probably can't read.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Has your yard ever been one of the stops on the garden tours? She may have visited previously and felt some kind of leeway to come back. Still, she was out of line.

I would not post a sign that read "dangerous dog." But posting a "Beware of Dog" sign is not the same as admitting liability. If anything, it could keep people out and prevent attacks. I think of ours as a "Be Aware of the Dog" warning, because we do have people who cut through along the property line, and we only have an invisible fence.

But I think a "no trespassing" sign should do the trick. They make some nice decorative ones nowadays to compliment your pretty garden:

No Trespassing Sign - Decorative

You can assess the situation from indoors. If it looks threatening, call the police. If it really is just a woman taking pix, I would go out the minute I see her and say, "May I help you?" Then I would sternly alert her to the fact that her unexpected presence frightened me and my kids. She probably thought she could get in and out without being seen, but she needs to know it's not OK.

I can't believe how clueless some people are.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I would've called the cops.

Some people have NO IDEA and in America, often the first reaction to seeing a stranger on your property is to shoot first and ask questions later, so these people are being extremely foolish by trespassing like that.

Maybe a humorous sign...mind you, a lot of these retards probably can't read.

As I previously posted I would have called the police to put it on record, basically to err on the side of caution, you can NEVER be too cautious.

I understand that the forum is not a chat room but I also need to comment that using that word in such a context really is not called for in this day and age. i.e you are not using it as in" it retards the growth of bacteria" which is perfectly acceptable.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
my usual responce to people who look a little nosey is a very toned "can i HELP you?"

i dont take well to treaspassers.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,476 times
That actually happened to my mom once. She was home alone on a quiet somewhat remote street. Not the first or the last house either. Let's just say the rude trespasser came face to face with her double barrel shotgun, was ordered to back away and did so, never to return again.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well, if the OP is only worried about those who might take further garden cuttings or photos from on the property a motion activated sprinkler, like the one used for deer deterrant, might stop that in short order.

Motion Detector Sprinkler | Motion Activated Sprinkler | Havahart.com

The Scarecrow Motion Sprinkler - Free Shipping!
That's a fabulous idea. That would be funny.
But then, the woman might sue for ruining her camera.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My mother has a beautiful garden roses and other flowers such as tulips and crocus and such more than i can mention here and no one i mean no one steps foot on her property . I think the German Sheppard Breeder sign intimidates some people . I know mom has one gsd that likes to scare people and he is not afraid of anything . He just looks at people and scares em . One day mom did see a lady wondering around and the gsd spotted her and scared the you know what out of her and Mom told her that if she had knocked on the door she would have and could have taken a look at my moms garden . That lady has not been back since . You see this particular gsd sneaks and then runs to the fence and barks . He just barks he does not do anything else but his bark and his stare will scare you .If I were you I would post a no tresspassing sign on your fence all around and also on your front yard as well . Mom has had to do so since that lady and being my mom is a breeder as well , you just never know .
My young dog is part shepard. He has the head and one of his barks is shepard. There's hounddog howl and a terrier yap too. He doesn't like the neighbors cats of his space and barks at them along with birds when he'd motivated. But its clearly a different bark.

But there are two vacent lots behind me, one to the side, and a business to the other. And an alleyway. Anyone comes near the alleyway or wanders across the back empty lots and he has his 'business' bark. He's mostly loud and the neighbors are fine with the barking since the alleyway and empty lots are a good approach to their yards too. I'm gong to have to put up a six foor fence since he jumps over the four foot one, but he'll be able to get closer without getting to anybody.

The power of a dog for protection isn't in the bite but the noise. One who barks and alerts will send those with ideas to somewhere they can do it without all the noise. The dog doesn't even have to be big.

If anyone was taking pictures, here, I'd just assume the city had found some new reason to send a notice, probably the grass was a little higher than regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden