U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 PM

29,986 posts, read 38,284,263 times

Advertisements

Is anyone in this forum trying the "Back to Eden" method of gardening? If so, please share your sucesses/failures. Thank you.

Link here to find out about Back to Eden gardening: Welcome to Back to Eden*Film!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,649,123 times
ive always know this method (or similar) as lasagna gardening, essentially layinering ontop rather than planting IN the existing dirt.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,780 times
I have actually just started this in ernest this year. I have been researching 'lasagna gardening' for a long time and practicing it here and there in my gardens, with moderate success. However, I just got my first 2 deliveries of wood chips, totalling about 20 yards of chips and stuff and am in the process of laying it all over my yards, front to back, to kill of the rest of my lawns and start on the composting process. The leaves are already breaking down, and the pine needles are crispy. And the wood chips look much better than the spotty, icky lawn we had before. The entire expanse gives me a blank slate to relandscape into a sustainable landscape, rather than the 'lawn-shrub-tree' that is so prevalent in suburbia. It looks like it will be a good base for the next loads we will get in June, and then again in July. In the Sacramento area, the hot sun, and a little water will break the wood chips down into compost at lightning speed. I plan to be ready to plant in September for the next round of fruit trees and berry bushes.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:46 PM

29,986 posts, read 38,284,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
ive always know this method (or similar) as lasagna gardening, essentially layinering ontop rather than planting IN the existing dirt.
If I understand correctly this back to eden method requires the plant roots to be planted in the dirt with the compost and mulch layers above. Is that correct Katbarger?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM

41 posts, read 157,189 times
I saw the film last summer and decided to garden by his methods. One plus is I found a supply of wood chips that were already deeply composted. Also, I have been building up my soil organically for over 10 years so my soils is fertile.
I placed about 6 inches of the composted woodchips on my garden and this year when I planted I added a small amount of compost in the rows with the seeds.
So far, things are growing great, plus I have the added benefit of no weeds.
I'm not 100% sold on the method but so far, I am convinced it works especially if you have marginally land.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
Default Growing fruit trees and blueberry bushes with Back to Eden method

If I have a 10 or 15 gallon potted fruit tree, do I just start with it on TOP of the land? Lay newspaper, then leaves, pine needles, then wood chips, then manure?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 PM

27,327 posts, read 25,910,601 times
You're going to have to put that in the ground. Whatever you put on top of the soil is going to decompose and shrink.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,896,084 times
It's composting in situ. The plants need to have their feet in real soil.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:14 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,490,752 times
DAMN, I thought MOgal was back.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,709,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
DAMN, I thought MOgal was back.
I thought the same thing. Miss her posting. I hate when old threads get revived like that and you think someone is back.

Donna Bielawski - as the others who have answered said, it won't work to just plunk the trees down on top of the mulch layer. They can't form roots to stay upright or get required moisture and nutrients that way. Even if you could pile enough of whatever it is you want to layer around it the tree will die from heat to the roots as the material begins to compost. If anyone has seen a compost pile in mid winter they know it can be steamy hot when turned or even if you stick a shovel in to expose the inner layers.

What they don't seem to tell anyone is that they have years of the upper layers composting and decomposing before they can dig into it to plant larger things like trees. Much of what is planted is put in from seed; any trees will take a long time to go from seed to mature enough to harvest from. From my perspective it is just another gimmick method, with limited success in certain areas with the right topography, sunshine and rain amounts and a source of unlimited chopped and shredded trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden