U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 03:53 PM

13,554 posts, read 16,100,607 times

Advertisements

I have had asiatic lilies in two places for several years. In one spot, in a rock garden, they are the shorter variety. They have come back every year, no problem. Until this year. I had flowers by this time last year and this year nothing ever came up at all.

Then in another location I have more asiatic lilies, but they are the tall ones. They came up this year, but they are much shorter than usual (though still taller than my short ones usually are).

We had an unusually mild winter and spring really started in February instead of April/May this year.

I'm just wondering if it could be the unusual weather that affected my lilies. The lilies that didn't come up this year have come back every year, even though the last two years before this one we had unusually cold/snowy winters. Why would they not come back after a mild winter? I don't know whether they are gone forever, or whether they'll come back next year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,711,471 times
The weather has been pretty unusual for many parts of the USA. My garden is barely in zone 7a, we had an unusually warm winter with many spring bloomers already blooming as early as December.

Most of the bulb plants I have have been only slightly early or on time. The lilies are in varying stages of almost blooming to still growing, and more or less on time, so if you had similar weather I doubt that a mild winter would hurt them.

The lilies that have not grown this year cannot come back next year. They need to store energy made in leaves from sunlight in order to grow. If they do not put out leaves then more than likely they won't have the energy to emerge in another year.

It is possible that you had something eat away at the bulbs over the winter. It could be anything from nematodes, wireworms, bulb mites or thrips to voles. To figure it out you may want to dig up the area where they bulbs once grew and see what the remaining bulbs look like and maybe see what damaged the bulbs.

One other reason may be if your winter was not only warm but also wetter than usual, the bulbs may have stayed in moisture too long and rotted.

You can read up on some of the common problems for lilies in the following link and see if anything is similar to what you find in your garden. Common Lily Pests

Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 AM

588 posts, read 1,241,783 times
My lillies are like J&E's-- at various stages of bloom. Some have not yet put out buds, but are actively growing foliage, others bloomed last weekend, and others are at stages in between.

I too had "activity" of spring plants in the middle of the winter, but I haven't noticed anything missing from my gardens. I don't think warm weather would affect plants being able to come up or not, so I agree that something must have happened to your bulbs.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 AM

13,554 posts, read 16,100,607 times
Thanks to both of you. I don't think anything dug them up because there is landscape fabric over the ground and then rocks on top. They have come up fine every year until now. They were beautiful, too! It wasn't a wet winter - in fact, it was a lot lower than normal, so I don't think they rotted. I wouldn't be able to dig them up without cutting away the landscape fabric (which keeps weeds from growing up through the rocks), but maybe I should just to find out what the deal is because I really want to plant more lilies in that exact spot. Here are my lilies that didn't come back.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,711,471 times
What a shame, they were beautiful! Good luck with the diagnosis and replacement.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
Last year, we had no lilies in three locations, where they have appeared annually for years, but they have all returned this year. Explain that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden