Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times

Advertisements

Looking for alternatives to Crepe Myrtle trees. Want to plant a couple very close (one to two feet) away from concrete foundation house on southwest side of house in Southern California. I don't really have anything against CM but just wondering what else is out there (and would be commonly stocked by nurseries).

I have always been under the impression that CM are one of the better trees to plant if you are planting near concrete (sidewalk, patio, house foundation) because the roots aren't so aggressive as to lift and crack the concrete.

Purpose is to shade a couple of windows by planting the trees pretty close to the windows so eventually (a couple years) the branches and leaves serve as some sort of canopy over the windows and prevent summer sun from beating in.

Will plan on trimming the trees so the branches don't rub up against the house and windows.

I have had flowering pears before and they seem OK too, though the wind can tear off the branches.

Others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I've seen ligustrum used as an evergreen alternative with the same multistemmed shrubby appearance. You'll probably find that in socal.

I doubt you'd have serviceberry or anything like that.

If I were you, I'd just get some blinds and put in a real tree as safe distance from the structure... something that will grow big and old and add shade and value to the property. Trees have shadows so they don't need to be right up against the house nor hanging over the house.

Besides, having a tree in front of the window is a hazard as it blocks exit in the event of a fire. And it also aides snakes and rats in getting into your house.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:12 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Charles,
I have no idea what zone you are in, so I will just throw
this out there.
Plumeria.
Look up online.
It grows easily in California and is gorgeous.
Also is very easy to trim in early spring so you get blooms
in the hotter weather.
They are trees, and leaves are big, they are evergreen.
Just an idea.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:36 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Charles,
Sorry about that, I just noticed you had stated shade.
Well, in that case, plant a Sweet Tea Olive tree.
Good for sun or shade, not root agresive, trims easily
and smells wonderful next to a window when it blooms.
Now if I could jsut bottle that smell, i could make a fortune!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden