Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 29,848 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Ive been reading that ticks are a very real concern in the triangle area, and would like to minimize any tick issues as much as possible.

I keep reading that anytime the kids or dogs are outside playing we need to check them for ticks when they come inside. Can you guys tell me if this is a worry EVERYWHERE or is it minimized by the type of yard you have..?

For example... if your backyard looks like this, I'd expect ticks would be more likely...

than if it looks like this...

Am I deluding myself in thinking that if we look for a more open / less woodsy type of home that it will be less of an issue? Letting our kids play outside is a huge thing for us, so I was just curious if you guys could offer any help, advice or experience on the somewhat paranoid worry I have.

Thanks so much!
Robin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 AM

12 posts, read 29,848 times
Not sure why my thread was moved since it was specific to the Raleigh, NC area and not gardening in general, but I still hope someone from the triangle area can / will help.

Thanks <3

Robin

Old 05-19-2012, 10:58 AM

289 posts, read 489,470 times
I think they would be better in a less wooded lot, but you may still have some depending on the area around your yard (the trees come right up to the fence in the picture, and overhanging limbs may be an issue). Also, ticks can be carried into any area with wildlife... Squirrels, raccoons, deer, etc that may come into your yard. Another concern is pets, and whether you walk them in other area where they might get ticks. In our experience, we get more ticks from areas with high grass and weeds than we do in the woods. We live on a very wooded lot with no fence, and have found ticks on us and the dog. It just takes a few minutes to check yourself and pets after being outside. The deer ticks are hard to see, though.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 AM

588 posts, read 1,438,799 times
I would think your logic makes sense, but I would still do routine checks even if your yard has few trees, short grass, etc.

Some of my tick experiences show that even suburban/urban settings can be problematic when it comes to ticks:
  • About ten years ago, I was walking through a parking lot, walked under a scrawny tree that was on the median, and felt something drop onto my head. It was a large tick.
  • About seven years ago, I visited my aunt and uncle and came home with FIVE deer/seed ticks embedded in my abdomen. I had to have picked them up in the airport, the car, or my aunt and uncle's VERY manicured, VERY well-maintained with SHORT grass and no trees, house.
  • I walk along a sidewalk with one of my friends and the grass on either side of the sidewalk is short (no more than 4" tall). Yet, that walk has led to me getting about six or eight ticks. Thankfully, only one of those actually bit me.
So, still be careful! But I do think your risk is lower in a grassy/well-maintained area than it is in a wooded area or an area with tall grass.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
They can be found anywhere, high grass, low grass, woods or not. There are products on the market which you can use to treat your lawn against fleas, ticks, etc. It is safe for pets and children once applied.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:06 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
agreed, while long grass or leaf litter is going to give you the higest tick populations, ticks are everywhere. keep your pets up to date on flea/tick prevention and keep your lawn nice and short, but generally ticks are well traveld hitchikers.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
I have had a lot of experience with ticks - my mother had Lyme disease from a tick bite. Our dog always had ticks on him. A tick, when it is empty, resembles a small brown freckle. When it burrows its head into your skin, it begins to feed on your blood. As it feeds, it begins to grow and when full, it resembles a large gray pea. Then it releases its hold and drops off - whether from you or from an animal host. Not all ticks carry Lyme disease, but unfortunately, they don't wear signs. Best to remove them as quickly as possible.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Maybe the OP could consider keeping a few backyard chickens. They will help gobble up ticks and other insects in the yard. The fresh eggs would be a bonus.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:19 PM

30,511 posts, read 16,209,926 times
But they do present a health hazard: what to do with the poop?

A clue there's a tick present is an itching. Usually before the little critter is visible. Guess that depends on your eyesight.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:30 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,655 times
we are in Raleigh and we had one year where they were really bad when we had a very mild winter -- that year we had also put down pinestraw from a questionable source in our front yard and I swear, the tick problem we had that summer was due to that pinestraw not the weather -- we haven't had a problem before or since then. my dog got rocky mtn spotted fever from a tick that season. Since then, we have gotten pinestraw from reputable sources and have not had a problem. So...we "frontline" our cats/dog Feb-Nov each year and usually don't have a problem with fleas or ticks. We do a bit of hiking and do tick checks after each hike and pull off any that have climbed aboard - on occasion we see them but less here than at our in-laws up in NY. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden