Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,326,972 times

Advertisements

It appears that the roots or some kind of offshoots from the roots are coming up along side the flowering peach tree on our front lawn. Does anyone know how we can get rid of them? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,678,683 times
Peach trees get suckers. Prune them off as close to the ground as you can with a pair of shears when you see them. They are diverting resources away from fruit production and main tree growth. Not a big deal, it's just one of those ongoing maintenance things with peach trees.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:12 AM

675 posts, read 1,810,806 times
Is peach tree roots are invasive? I love the pink flowers in the spring and the fruit in fall, anybody have peach tree please share your experience.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,737,261 times
No peachree roots are not invasive. Many fruit trees will put out the shoots from the roots, some years more than others. All my ornamental cherry trees decided to do so this year but rarely have before. I noticed the same for neighbors who have both ornamental and fruit bearing cherry trees and peach trees. It seems if the ground is wetter longer there are more than in dry periods.

I treat them like weeds and yank what ever I can because I spot them most often when weeding the garden but cutting them off at the ground is probably better and neater.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM

Thank J&Em, what kind of peach tree do you have? And which one do you think is good? I search online and found different peach trees so I'm confused.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,737,261 times
I don't have any peaches right now because they require too much care in my area. I leave the growing and hard work to local orchards.

As far as picking a good peach tree you need to check with an authority in your state or general region. Different peaches will be better in one state or another and recommendations from my area will probably not fit your growing conditions. In your case you could check which are the best for disease resistance and are a freestone variety (the better eating kind are freestone rather than clingstone) in Eastern PA or west central NJ. The following is a list of possible varieties that you could try next year. It's late in the season to plant one right now.

Peach Varieties — Fruit Production for the Home Gardener — Penn State College of Ag Sciences

Note they say the Redhaven is the most popular and it is also mid season. If I had to pick from the list I would pick Beekman for good fruit and big flowers or the Redkist for the disease resistance.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Thank you J&Em, I'll check some Dwarf Peachtree, because I don't want it's too high. This weekend, I'll go to some garden center in NJ or PA to look around.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden