U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,181,806 times

Advertisements

I have two words for you:

BB GUN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 PM

12,461 posts, read 18,043,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
No traps for me...I don't think it's wrong to trap and eat them, but I do like the squirrels. I don't even want to drive them out of the yard entirely.

I happened to already have a big old plastic owl that I've been using for a bank (I cut a slot in the top of its head). So I put him out there and sprinkled some used cat litter around. I'll report back if this works or if they get past my clever defenses.
Just get the fake owl. 15, 20 bucks and the squirrels will back off.

You could also get them some of those squirrel treats. My neighbor uses those and says they leave his bird feeder and blue berries alone because they have more than enough to eat.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,948,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Just get the fake owl. 15, 20 bucks and the squirrels will back off.

You could also get them some of those squirrel treats. My neighbor uses those and says they leave his bird feeder and blue berries alone because they have more than enough to eat.
I'm saying I already have a fake owl-- the same kind sold in gardening stores. I already put him out (I just forgot I had him because I was using it for a different purpose)

I already feed the squirrels- it certainty doesn't stop mine from eating not-for-squirrels things. I gave up on keeping them off the bird feeders.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:50 PM

29,986 posts, read 38,273,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin5 View Post
I have a big squirrel problem too dig up my flowers, eat all the bird seed and destroyed my chairs on the deck that have a wicker seat they just chewed up the seat. Would love some suggestions to get rid of
them for good!! lifelongMOgal, would the rat traps be safe for birds?
No guarantee. Any animal might get caught in a trap. If the OP doesn't like the rat trap option the Havaheart one may work. That catches the animal alive for re-location.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM

36,498 posts, read 45,497,620 times
You really think you have problems with your sunflower seeds?

Bear Necessities: Animal suspected of stealing 50 lbs. of sunflower seeds - Crimesider - CBS News

Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,948,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I love how the reporter is in love with this story.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,826,946 times
I got some chicken wire and wrapped it around some of the plants in my container garden so the flowers had a chance to grow. I have a 100 sq. foot back area in downtown Philly and it's concrete so I do container gardening, and I have one of satan's imps living in an overhang that I can't get to.
If the squirrel is digging up things, rather than chewing them up, you can buy screen-door wire and cut it to shape with scissors, put it around the base of your plant and pin it in the soil with long nails or bamboo and cover it with dirt to hide it. Squirrelly can't dig it up and will stop. For plants it's attacking I'd use the chicken wire. I just got some hollyhocks going in a large planter, I started them last year and planted them in the fall. They are about 3 feet tall now, and squirrely was digging around them and chewing leaves, but I tossed some spare bricks around the roots and that seemed to stop him.

Mortal scrat - YouTube

Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,337,427 times
I have to say I always drive by a neighbors house and admire thier sunflowers but today the flowers were off of them..darn birds or squirrel

Maybe you can put a feeder close to the sunflowers so there is something to eat and not the sunflowers???

Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,337,427 times
Sunflowers are my fav

Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 AM

12,461 posts, read 18,043,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm saying I already have a fake owl-- the same kind sold in gardening stores. I already put him out (I just forgot I had him because I was using it for a different purpose)

I already feed the squirrels- it certainty doesn't stop mine from eating not-for-squirrels things. I gave up on keeping them off the bird feeders.
If you forgot you had it, is it possible you are not rotating its position every couple of days? That is crucial, so the little bandits do not get wise.

Also, get some Dried Blood fertilizer. To be blunt, it is made from ground up dead cows. The squirrels smell the scent of something bigger than they that died and it freaks them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden