U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:58 AM

29,986 posts, read 38,304,160 times

Advertisements

There are so many books on gardening it is difficult to decide. Permaculture, huegelkultur, organic, garden insects, orchards, winter hoop house /greenhouse crops, etc... .

So, rather than trial and error and wasting money in the process, lets start our own library.

Please list books you've found particularly helpful in your gardening endevors. So that others may also find the books if a link breaks please include the name, author, and year published, additionally, links are great if possible.

Include a few words about what you were trying to achieve, how the book helped you, and your planting zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:24 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,513,352 times
Sunset Western Garden Book.

A must for any Gardener West of the Rockies.

I know of no other single book that has the sheer volume of information about plants that it does. It is actually one of the recommended study guides by the state of California when getting ready to take your State Contractors test for Landscaper.

Known as the Bible for gardeners here in the west.

Western Garden Ideas - Sunset.com

Old 05-19-2012, 07:37 AM

29,986 posts, read 38,304,160 times
Come on folks, 42 views and only one contributor, certainly y'all have used books as gardening resources haven't you?

Old 05-21-2012, 04:53 PM

3,469 posts, read 5,375,643 times
Southern Living Garden Book. Very similar to the Sunset Western Garden in terms of design and info. Sunset also has a lot of specialized smaller books on such things as Container Gardens, Landscaping with Stone, Hillside Gardens, etc.

Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch is a great book for beginner or experienced gardeners. The Garden Primer: Second Edition: Barbara Damrosch: 9780761122753: Amazon.com: Books

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew is another I would recommend.

David Austin's English Roses Amazon.com: David Austin's English Roses (9781870673709): David Austin: Books

A Japanese Touch for your Garden by Kiyoshi Seike is another of my favorites. http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Touch...7640544&sr=1-2

I probably have another 30 or 40 books but they are all out in the summer kitchen/garden area of my garage so these are just some titles that come to mind and I would recommend.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,900,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Come on folks, 42 views and only one contributor, certainly y'all have used books as gardening resources haven't you?
Sorry, I can't really say that I have other than seed catalogues, lol!

I got all my info from growing from my Great-grandma or from a few scattered web sites, like sq ft gardening.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,714,457 times
Most of my personal sources would put everyone to sleep (very few pictures) since they are botany and aggie textbooks. When answering the local hotline or John Q Public when I am doing community service I have access to a lot of Cooperative Extension publications which I highly recommend people look into for their areas.

There are two general books I find helpful for beginning to somewhat advanced gardeners because they are basic but cover a lot of garden information would be the Readers Digest Guides:
Amazon.com: Illustrated guide to gardening (updated w/ color) (9780895778291): Editors of Reader's Digest: Books and
Amazon.com: The All-New Illustrated Guide to Gardening: Now All Organic! (9780762109999): Trevor Cole, Fern Marshall Bradley: Books

Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM

879 posts, read 2,463,239 times
I would love to contribute but I cannot...this is truly my source...in this day and age I get all my info from online blogs.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM

4,359 posts, read 8,468,086 times
A few I have used/referred to many times over the past few decades:
-Taylor's Guide to Perennials
-Taylor's Guide to Shade Gardening
-Taylor's Master Guide to Gardening
all pub'd by Houghton Mifflin...

For acer palmatum fans, Japanese Maples 3rd Ed by J.D.Vertrees is fabulous.

All can be found on Amazon, et al, in a heartbeat.

But, 'source books' have become 'stuff on shelves' to glance through on occasion; with the web, anyone can find pages of info on any flora, in minutes, imo.
GL, mD

Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,362,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I would love to contribute but I cannot...this is truly my source...in this day and age I get all my info from online blogs.
LOL I am guilty as well, but I am recently referring to "Fruits and Vegetables" a "Gardeners Handbook" from Barnes and Noble.

Apparently I bought it for $7.98, according to the sticker that's still on it. One of the authors mixed up pawpaw and papaya, but other than that, the book is AWESOME. Chock full of pictures of beautiful gardens and plants, and information about everything you'd like to know about growing veggies.

For instance: ...consider tilling your garden after dark. It sounds crazy, but researchers have had remarkable success with this technique, reducing weed cover by 70 to 80 percent... Oooh.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:17 PM

8,554 posts, read 11,446,151 times
I am never without any one of the series of books from The American Horticultural Society. They have:
The Encyclopedia of Gardening
The Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers
The Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
The Encyclopedia of Plant Propagation
The Encyclopedia of Perennials

The top 2 are my bibles and would never have them far from my hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden