U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 AM

24,576 posts, read 34,261,001 times

Advertisements

I want to tear down an existing rotting wooden shed that has some serious termite damage and replace it with a vinyl one.

City ordinances require the new shed to be anchored to the ground or to a foundation.

I had a quote done for a concrete slab to accomodate a 6x8 foot shed and the bid came in at $1500. That's twice what the shed kit itself costs!!!! I thought that was silly money for a concrete slab.

Has anyone built a shed on a foundation using pre-formed concrete piers and pressure-treated lumber? The instruction manual for the shed I want has directions for anchoring both to a wooden platform or to a concrete slab and doesn't recommend one over the other, but recommends either solution over anchoring directly to the ground.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 AM

15,927 posts, read 12,719,886 times
I filled my sheds with crap and it held them to the ground!

Actually; you could try building just a floor out of treated 2X4s and driving some rebar deep in the ground on the inside of the corners - then clamp the rebar to the frame before you put on a floor of ¾ inch marine plywood. That would probably only cost a little over $100 for one of those 8X8 foot plastic sheds. Of course; I don’t know if that would meet your ordinance? If it doesn’t; just throw a lot of crap in it to hold it down!

If you are in tornado country; you might want to go a little fancier. You could put some anchor bolts in some concrete forms on the corners. However; I have a feeling that the plastic shed would not stay together against a tornado.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:57 AM

6,193 posts, read 4,726,305 times
At my old house I used for a shed floor the standard 8 x 16 x 2 concrete paver stone blocks.

That was ten years ago. It's still there.

But of course you must meet what local codes apply.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 AM

20,521 posts, read 27,027,520 times
My DH and I just built a shed using concrete half blocks and then pressure treated wood. Would you county let you do this if you tied it with anchors?

//www.city-data.com/forum/23916893-post2566.html

Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 AM

18,766 posts, read 56,528,724 times
Mobile homes are anchored with inexpensive anchors that screw into the ground like a dog stake. A couple of those should EASILY hold a shed down. I wouldn't put up a vinyl/plastic shed in the first place though. Be aware that your shed will raise your taxes, and you will need to notify your insurance company so they can whine and moan and raise your premiums.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 AM

29,986 posts, read 38,280,830 times
These should do as an anchor: 16 in. Steel Spiral Folding Ring Anchor-ANCFR16-ORG-A at The Home Depot

If you laid footings of concrete block or pavers with additionally enough to run across the length and the width under the shed floor to support it (but not necessarily entirely fulled beneath the floor) and keep it out of contact with the ground this should be enough to aleviate the worries of returning termites (treat the area the shed it to be located) should you decide to go with a nicer wood shed.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,486,403 times
6X8? I would just pour the slab my self and use red heads to anchor it to the slab.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:26 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,351,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I filled my sheds with crap and it held them to the ground!

Actually; you could try building just a floor out of treated 2X4s and driving some rebar deep in the ground on the inside of the corners - then clamp the rebar to the frame before you put on a floor of ¾ inch marine plywood. That would probably only cost a little over $100 for one of those 8X8 foot plastic sheds. Of course; I don’t know if that would meet your ordinance? If it doesn’t; just throw a lot of crap in it to hold it down!

If you are in tornado country; you might want to go a little fancier. You could put some anchor bolts in some concrete forms on the corners. However; I have a feeling that the plastic shed would not stay together against a tornado.
LOLLLL Why are you cracking me up tonight?

Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Mobile homes are anchored with inexpensive anchors that screw into the ground like a dog stake. A couple of those should EASILY hold a shed down. I wouldn't put up a vinyl/plastic shed in the first place though. Be aware that your shed will raise your taxes, and you will need to notify your insurance company so they can whine and moan and raise your premiums.
There's already a 10x15 shed on the property so I don't feel the need to notify the county or my insurance company.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
6X8? I would just pour the slab my self and use red heads to anchor it to the slab.
*runs hand over head* No idea what you're talking about! What are 'red heads'?

This is work I intended to hire someone else to do. I could probably build a level wooden platform on concrete piers myself, but it would take me a lot longer and cause me a lot more aggro than if I paid someone else to do it...and they'd do a better job anyway, since I'm a database geek.

I do live in 'tornado country' but it's rare to see tornadoes in Dallas County itself, especially the northern half. We do get hail and high winds sometimes (which I'm sure is why the city requires the shed to be anchored) but there's only so much anchoring you can do. Some of these winds can blow the roof off a house. Even the existing wooden shed would be no match for winds like that. The location of the shed does help to protect it from winds somewhat; the property is oriented north/northeast. The shed is located in the back yard behind the garage, in front of the rear fence, and to the left (west side) of a large oak tree so it is protected on almost all sides from high winds. If damaging winds blew in from the west, the shed would be blown into the oak tree and dense hedging, so it wouldn't roll around the yard. It would be 'caught', so to speak.

I know it's impossible to pin down an accurate figure, but I'd love a ballpark estimate of the wood platform vs concrete slab. I'd have a slab poured if I could justify the expense, but the $1500 quote I got seems to be far too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or