U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM

21,142 posts, read 63,093,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Thank you both so much!
There used to be grass there last year.
The only reason I'm trying to re-grow it is so I can TEAR IT OUT AND GET RID OF IT.
Crazy huh?
The state of Nevada willpay homeowners $1.50per sq.ft to remove grass.
It's an effort to save water.
Only thing is--the grass has to be there..alive and kicking so to speak.
My water bills are going to go thru the roof again this summer and I don't want that.

Life was soooooo much easier when I lived in my Manhattan apartment.
OK, this has to go into my list of ??WTF??

Why do your water bills go through the roof in summer if you aren't using it for watering? How much are you using?

Could you "rent" a lawn? Have someone come in and sod it for a day, then remove it the next day? Also, you might go into politics. You seem to have the ----- for the job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM

36,502 posts, read 49,855,335 times
oh man this is the most counter intuitive thinking I've ever run across. You are going to spend money on seed and straw and water to rip it up so you can save on water? think about it. Just tear up what you've already got, put down some ground cover or mulch and be done with it. energy and effort are money too you know.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,271,049 times
Some of the advice here demonstrates my pet peeve of playing expert when you haven't a clue as to the climate or growth patterns, but I'd be called rude if I said anymore.

For those not living in desert areas grass lawns have been the single biggest consumers of a commodity that is getting harder to come by, water. Many counties and cities have adapted all sorts of programs to encourage xeriscaping. They will rebate a certain amount of money if you rip up an existing lawn that requires constant watering and replace it with plants (usually native plants and plants bred to thrive in dry conditions) that require little or no watering once established. This is the case for the area the OP lives in. Water Smart Landscapes Rebate Just to be clear programs like this are not intended to have people put in lawns to rip out, instead it was supposed to be a way to help them buy and plant less water needy landscaping, much as we have rebates for energy efficient appliances or new windows with triple panes.

That said... amen NoKudzu that was my first thought!

OP I get what you are doing but it does seem very counter-intuitive to spend so much to establish a new lawn in order to get rid of it AND replant with other plants/shrubs which is the other half of the deal. Are you trying to fill in one place where the lawn was doing poorly and is it part of the overall landscape and lawn or a separate area? Your description makes it hard to understand without some form of picture or diagram.

Your single biggest mistake is covering the seed with topsoil. It needs to be very close to the surface to sprout. In normal conditions you would put down the soil and spread seed (hand cast or spreader) and either tamp down slightly or rake in slightly. Some people also will spread a very fine layer of topsoil down but it isn't necessary. The straw that you may have seen people use is meant to act as a light mulch that helps retain moisture, provides shading to the new roots and erosion control as the small seedling begin to sprout. On average grass will require anywhere from a week to two weeks to germinate in those conditions. Here's a video that the owner claims took place over 4 weeks showing grass grow:
Grass seed sowing, germination & grass growing time lapse - YouTube

If the seed are not buried too deeply you may see some delayed sprouting in the next week as long as the soil is kept damp. As soon as it dries out in your heat it will die off. You may also need to find a more heat resistant variety than you have been using. Any cool season grasses will die off faster than they sprout in the already summer like conditions you live in.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM

4,124 posts, read 5,755,579 times
Quote:
Thank you both so much!
There used to be grass there last year.
The only reason I'm trying to re-grow it is so I can TEAR IT OUT AND GET RID OF IT.
Crazy huh?
The state of Nevada willpay homeowners $1.50per sq.ft to remove grass.
It's an effort to save water.
Only thing is--the grass has to be there..alive and kicking so to speak.
My water bills are going to go thru the roof again this summer and I don't want that.

Life was soooooo much easier when I lived in my Manhattan apartment.
This has GOT to be a joke!
Nobody is this.......BRILLIANT!!!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM

4,940 posts, read 10,164,769 times
You guys don't understand.
I too was AMAZED that the state owned water company of southern Nevada told me --IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS-- that I would NOT qualify for the rebate if the lawn wasn't green. They then said I should plant seed in order for it to grow so I could qualify.

INSANE I know. I'm going to water this lawn like crazy to get it to grow so they can give me money.
Don't believe me?

Here it is right on their website:
Since the purpose of the program is to reduce existing water demand, you must be currently maintaining a grass lawn. Do not remove the grass until after SNWA completes the pre-conversion visit or your conversion will be ineligible. A SNWA staff member must validate the turf areas before you start your project.

ALSO....
I watched first hand the worker from the water company tell my neighbor that his lawn wouldn't qualify because more than 30% of it was dead.
That was last week.

I know...
It's nuts.
What's even more nuts is this:
The Southern Nevada Water Authority approved a measure Thursday that some say could undermine years of water conservation efforts.

In a 6-1 vote, the Water Authority agreed to allow homeowners and businesses to convert desert landscaping back to turf if a property owner is willing to reimburse the agency for rebates paid to induce the change to so-called xeriscape, effectively reversing a key agency water-saving program.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 PM

36,502 posts, read 49,855,335 times
I think they must be suffering from brain damage due to too much sun. this is wacko. Surely somebody is raising cain about this. nutso indeed.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 18,605 times
Try Easy Seed it is great I have seen this stuff work. You will have grass growing in 4wks. Just follow the easy directions on the back of the bag and you will have grass.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think they must be suffering from brain damage due to too much sun. this is wacko. Surely somebody is raising cain about this. nutso indeed.
Yeah...
here is the City-Data thread about it in the Las Vegas section

See....I'm not nuts.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 PM

4,124 posts, read 5,755,579 times
Quote:
Oh I beg to differ Sir!!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 PM

Nope...I'm sane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden