U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 AM

2,755 posts, read 2,954,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Around here the average would be $10-15.00 per hour. You could go to Home Depot and pick up 3 immigrants standing on the corner, offer them $100.00 bucks split amongst themselves and if they don't do it to your satisfaction tell them to do it right or you'll call immigration and have them picked up.
Oh, I see. You're from Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,705,928 times
For those with the condescending replies on how to mulch, I don't think NoKudzu needs lessons in how to do mulch. Being a long time Master Gardener I think she's got that down. Some of the posts have been pretty condescending (really, all you need is a rake?) and still haven't addressed the question. What the OP is learning is how much it costs to pay others to do what she used to do without a thought when she can no longer can do it. NoKudzu I am getting to the same point. In my thirties I was hauling large rocks and digging holes in clay that turned to rock if it dried a little. Who needed a gym membership with all the workout a garden provided! It's amazing what a few decades and Lyme Disease arthritis can do to slow you down. Now it takes me a lot longer and I lift a lot less at a time and I need that gym membership to keep stronger muscles ready for gardening. Getting old is no fun!

Mulching in a garden with specimen plants that is extensive and well planned is not the same as mulching in a standard 4 or 5 bushes in a row suburban "garden" at all. I'd trust a bunch of high school kids to do an alright job on the latter but on the former? No chance.

As several people have said the guy that comes to the door and also "does trees" is not the kind of landscaper I'd hire for anything. For once I agree more or less with cittic10 (with an exception or two). LOL His post was pretty much on target. If you can find someone to do the job offer a set price for the job -not an hourly rate- since it can be dragged out. You have the advantage of being able to articulate exactly where and how much the mulch needs to be layered and probably could supervise it so that plant damage is minimized. What that flat rate would be I wouldn't dare say without actually seeing what the garden looks like.

Cittic10 the only quibble I had with your response was the pine straw advice. Pine straw is fine around trees and those standard suburban landscapes of the line of bushes in front of the house where no one will disturb it or work in it. For a southern gardener, like the OP and I both are, the numbers of chiggers and pine straw itch mites would make it one awful, itchy place to garden in. There is also the matter of the spread of an invasive grass in the south that is in part attributed to the use of pine straw "harvested" from already infected areas (FL, AL, MS and SC have the worst amounts but it has been reported in several Georgia counties as well now).

Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 AM

13,392 posts, read 21,598,121 times
My college aged son is doing some farm work for a friend's father. He is tilling an acre, using a hoe, rake and shovel, then planting vegetables. He is getting paid $10.00/hour, which seems very low to me given the amount of effort involved. But, he accepted the job and will see it through. I can assure you he would find shoveling mulch a much easier prospect for the same money.

When we get pine straw bales delivered we have no problem finding kids to spread it for $.50 a bale, which is half what the pine straw supplier charges.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,459,376 times
Wow pretty brazen if you ask me but I've seen worse in my industry.

A fair price would be the same amount as the cost of the mulch. $145.

Now whether that takes them 3 hours or 1 hour is up to them.

My guys could get it done in about one hour humping hard and fast . Asses and elbow gentlemen asses and elbows.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Around here the average would be $10-15.00 per hour. You could go to Home Depot and pick up 3 immigrants standing on the corner, offer them $100.00 bucks split amongst themselves and if they don't do it to your satisfaction tell them to do it right or you'll call immigration and have them picked up.
I am pretty hardcore but your a

Old 05-25-2012, 08:42 AM

36,497 posts, read 45,474,954 times
Wow great and interesting responses. Thanks J&EM. She knows me a bit and I can understand why others who don't would have questions.

I'm 66 y.o. diabetic fighting having my big toe amputated. Already been hospitalized twice with PIC line for infection in bone caused by breaking my toe while trying to get to the orange juice in the middle of the night and while hypoglycemic. Neuropathy so bad I didn't even know I had broken my toe in 3 places until DH insisted I go to doc for x rays 3 days later.. Bruising was horrific.

I am retired landscape designer, Master Gardener having been featured in Southern Living, HGTV, Atlanta Constition and Journal, etc. It kills my soul to not be able to do the work I love so much.

kids can't do it cause they are only 10 and one is extremely allergic to any insect bites and other is a "weakling". lol her words. DH is 72 still working and travels all over the country 5 days out of the week.

I can see how I might have insulted this man with the teenager remark. I know not to place mulch up to stems and I know it is labor intensive in some areas in my yard but mostly just taking a pitch fork full at a time in many areas.

I lived in Atlanta for 30 years and I was spoiled by the gentlemen riding around neighborhoods hawking trailers of pine straw and spreading it for cheap but here in Chapel Hill N.C. I just don't see much pinestraw in use and it is expensive to haul it up from south GA. Besides we got the mulch from County recycle program and I like to support them. It is really black and pretty but it is out there cooking in the sun and I better get somebody here fast. Yes of course it is YARDS. funny mistake on my part.

Thanks again for your input. We put out a notice in HOA for $12 and I can at least supervise on a cane.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:46 AM

I'm always confused about pricing things per job vs per hour. I've been burned both ways with sloppy painting done to finish in a hurry to folks dragging out a job for hourly pay.

So How does anybody come up with a per job rate-- laborer and customer- or do we both come from the same place?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:05 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,345,263 times
As a college student, I got $6 an hour (as a weak, small woman) for doing highway maintenance, and I thought I was lucky. I later earned a WHOPPING salary of $8 per hour speaking two foreign languages as a customer service representative. I think $10/hour is fine.

If the worker was insulted, then he can learn a trade or get a profession. In addition to putting an ad in the association newspaper, you can probably advertise in the local university papers.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm always confused about pricing things per job vs per hour. I've been burned both ways with sloppy painting done to finish in a hurry to folks dragging out a job for hourly pay.

So How does anybody come up with a per job rate-- laborer and customer- or do we both come from the same place?
It's an art as much as a science for a contractor to bid jobs.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:15 AM

to whoever mentioned the guy probably had kids and a mortgage---this is no concern of mine. Since when do we pay anybody for any job based on their needs? If that was the case, then the PhD with a wife and 3 kids, elderly mother to support, mortgage CC debt, etc should be paid $1,000 per hour for a menial job.

Payment is associated with the job and the education, experience brought to accomplish the job---certainly not the need of the employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or