U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 AM

20,419 posts, read 39,134,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Maybe for a doll house.
Nope... a regular house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,486,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nope... a regular house.
\

Never.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,564,993 times
Try calling local high schools, churches, etc and ask if they have any young foks who want to made some money. I pay $12 an hour and give them a bit extra if they work hard. Also, if they are working for a few hours, feed them and provide gator aide.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,226,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We had a huge 3 cu ft load of hardwood mulch delivered in our sideyard. Guy originally set to spread it cancelled at last minute. then a "landscaper" rings the doorbell wanted work to spread the mulch. He has done work for us before but he is mainly in tree removal and seems to ride around looking for trees to cut down.

he had 2 others in the truck and offered to spread mulch for 3 hours for $250. each man would get $28 per hour to spread mulch. I was in shock. Mulch only cost $145 delivered.
Then he said his friends would not do it for anything less and asked me how much I would pay him to do it alone. I was trying to figure it out when he suggested $135 for 3 hours worth of work. I told him why would I be willing to pay him $45 per hour when I wasn't willing to pay $28 per hour and that I could get teenagers in the neighborhood to do it for about $10 per hour. He left.

I have all the tools, simple straightforward work I have done myself for years but because of health issues I can't do it anymore.

Do you ever hire anybody to help with garden work? how much do you pay and where do you get your help?
The last time I moved that much dirt by myself it took about 180 days off of my life. The work probably is worth about $250...

Old 05-30-2012, 12:57 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,134,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
\

Never.
Yet it is done in my neighborhood on a regular basis.
Why does this bother you?
Meh... never mind as you seem committed to disbelief, and I am not in the mood.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 PM

5,065 posts, read 14,114,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So I paid the 17 y.o. football player $80 for his work and then the next day 2 scrawny 15 y.o. boys came and got most of it done. I paid each one $55. Both times I gave them a bonus. It was not just dump a mess of mulch. I have a lot of perennials and in the beds they had to scoop up mulch by the bucketfull and carefully place it around the plants making sure not to put any mulch up to the stems of the plants. I also had them empty about 20 huge planters of old potting soil, crush some nursery pots for filler in the bottom of these containers and then dump in new potting soil. They worked hard, without breaks, no smoking and were courteous. i was happy to pay these young men for hard work and it gave me a chance to further teach my 10 y.o. girls the importance of a strong work ethic. We were working along them as much as we could. All 3 boys were eager to come back to do some pressure washing of our deck furniture and do some weed eating later. I'm very happy.
Glad it worked out.

I think it's impossible to give a fair idea of what to pay overall, because pay rates vary wildly from one region of the country to another. Over 20 years ago I used to make $15 an hour gardening and landscaping, I can only speculate what landscapers make nowadays. And back then I knew people making more than me. Moving mulch is hard labor, too. Even babysitters here make $10-15 an hour. Plumbers sometimes charge over $100 an hour, carpenters often $65 and higher per hour, etc. Minimum wage here is $8.25, rising up to $9.25 in the next year or so. I think hiring high school students was a great idea for all.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 9,160,209 times
It may not be popular to say this, but I do not believe in this law for a minimum wage.

I believe a "fair wage" is negotiated between the two parties, what one is willing to pay and what the other is willing to work for as a "fair & equitable" wage.

When I was a teenager, the legal minimum wage was $1.20/hour, just to show you how long ago that was , so I was always going after a higher paying part time/ summer jobs. Because I was young and in good physical shape, I was able to go after heavy manual labor jobs but it paid $7 - 8/hour, or the "grown-up" jobs such as waiting tables, etc.

I am glad that No Kuzu has gotten the help she needed. Like many on this forum, I am willing to pay extra to get good workers. I am happy to payable day's wage to someone who gets the work done in 1/2 day. For the lazy & stupid worker, no amount of "minimum wage" can save me money & aggrevations.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 791 times
I live in Northeast Ohio, and for clean up (removing leaves from gardens and cutting back plants, trimming bushes, and pulling up anything dead) and laying down 25 bags of mulch, I paid $300. That's $20/hour for 3 guys for 5 hours. I think that is quite reasonable for around here.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 PM

36,498 posts, read 45,504,949 times
It's been fun reading over this 3 year old thread. For three years I had the most wonderful woman helping me in the garden. Officially she charged $10 an hour for hand weeding, planting, deadheading, fertilizing, dividing, etc...all sorts of gardening chores. But I always paid her $20-$30 extra every 2 or 3 days. I also shared my divisions and gave her cutting for her own garden. Now she has gone back to hair styling so I had to put an ad in Craigs List. We offered between $12-15 per hour and had oddles of responses. i think there is still definitely a recession going on.

I found men aren't interested so much in gardening and the tedious hand weeding so necessary in spring. They like to get on big powerful machinery and go round and round cutting stuff.

Women I am more comfortable with especially since my husband is not always around.

This year I found 2 helpful women. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

One works hard and fast and is knowledgeable but she doesn't show up when she says she will. And she claims she doesn't remember to charge her phone, internet is down..in other words she is hard to get a hold of. But I like her. I pay her $12 with a bonus at the end of the week.

The other one works hard, is knowledgeable and shows up when she says she will. She hired on at $12 and after 1 week told me she thought she was now worth $15 per hour. I probably pay the other lady even more than that with tip but I feel like she used bait and switch. Also the second day she was here she saw me using 2 canes and said "What's wrong with you?" I ignored her. The weekend after her first week here I looked in the back yard and saw her and some guy walking around my yard. She had not even been working at my house for the past 2 days. When my husband went out to check she said she was walking in the neighborhood and wanted to show her boyfriend my yard. no call...no ring the door bell..just decided to show up. Won't be calling her back.

Most of the yard is caught up now and we have had heat indices of 92 two days in a row. I'll just need maintenance from here on out and I'lll gladly pay close to $15 per hour for somebody who knows the difference between a perennial and a weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or