U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 AM

29,986 posts, read 38,253,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
..............Oh, by the way... Apparently dog ticks can live for a year without feeding.
I read something along the lines of this for deer ticks x 3 years. This is why I light them on fire until they pop instead of just flushing them when I find one either on myself or a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:04 AM

15,907 posts, read 12,700,152 times
I do have one question on ticks. We gave all of these names, like dog ticks, wood ticks, deer ticks, and lone star ticks to the different kinds of ticks. However; all of them would be just as happy sucking blood out of any warm blood mammal (including humans). Some of the worst areas, for ticks I ever encountered, was in cow country - as previously pointed out. So my question is how prevalent are deer ticks on cows?

I personally feel that I have very few ticks close to my house because of wild turkeys. I live in the red zone for deer ticks. I used to get ticks on me before the come-back of the turkeys (about ten to fifteen years ago). I have one neighbor that religiously feeds the turkeys and sometimes I have up to 75 roaming across my property. I also donate a little food (corn) during the hard winter months. They also clean up my old duck food. Many posters have pointed out that chickens seem to help. I am still aware that, even with the help of the turkeys, that we could still get that one stray tick.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM

36,497 posts, read 45,482,905 times
I think any fowl will eat ticks. Guinea hens are especially good in urban areas and neighborhoods cause they don't make so much noise. I know a bunch of turkey can make a racket but not alone.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 AM

30,351 posts, read 20,655,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I don't mean to rain on your parade but please don't count on the rash to tell you if you were infected with Lyme Disease. I know just as many people who have had Lyme Disease without the rash as I do who got a rash. Just from personal experience alone I can tell you that you may not have any visible signs for a while and still have a bad case down the line. People sometimes get an alternative short lived rash, diffuse rashes with flu like symptoms or no rash whatsoever. Then the headaches start, or joint and muscle pain, or chest/heart pain. I went quickly to the arthritis pain and to this day suffer with knee problems. No bulls eye, no easy to spot symptoms. Lyme isn't the only disease the ticks carry (yep personal experience again). Depending on where you live you could also get Erlichiosis , babesiosis, STARI, Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.... oh just look at the link below, there are too many to list now!!

CDC - Tickborne Diseases of the U.S. - Ticks
how long did it take before your symptoms began? my bite is nothing more than a small pink spot at this point, and i don't have any of the symptoms you described [*knocks on wood*]..

according to the U of MD, lyme, erlichiosis and babesiosis are present here but lyme is far and away the main one.

Forest Fragmentation Boosts Tick Populations and Diseases -- WESTBROOK, Maine, May 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Old 05-31-2012, 02:50 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,706,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how long did it take before your symptoms began? my bite is nothing more than a small pink spot at this point, and i don't have any of the symptoms you described [*knocks on wood*]..

according to the U of MD, lyme, erlichiosis and babesiosis are present here but lyme is far and away the main one.

Forest Fragmentation Boosts Tick Populations and Diseases -- WESTBROOK, Maine, May 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
All of the tick borne diseases are spreading in much of the continental USA. There are some places that list the generally accepted times to infection but Lyme has been very difficult to pin down and there are big differences of opinions in the medical and research fields. I can tell you from personal experience that Lyme took between 3 and 6 months to show up in one family member and about 4 months in another for serious symptoms. These were estimates made by the infectious disease people. It took IV antibiotics over a period of 2 months for one and oral antibiotics for approximately 4 months on and off for the other with residual symptoms for a long period after that.

Erlichiosis was estimated in the 2-3 week time frame and had to be treated in the ER because of meningitis like symptoms. Neither was fun.

I don't like to make people scared needlessly (its kind of like telling woman who are pregnant all the stories of pregnancies that had bad problems) but so many people are unaware that the bullseye rash doesn't always occur when you get infected. More than likely you didn't get anything but since you had a small reaction you should at least be more aware of new symptoms if they do occur and get earlier treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I do have one question on ticks. We gave all of these names, like dog ticks, wood ticks, deer ticks, and lone star ticks to the different kinds of ticks. However; all of them would be just as happy sucking blood out of any warm blood mammal (including humans). Some of the worst areas, for ticks I ever encountered, was in cow country - as previously pointed out. So my question is how prevalent are deer ticks on cows?

I personally feel that I have very few ticks close to my house because of wild turkeys. I live in the red zone for deer ticks. I used to get ticks on me before the come-back of the turkeys (about ten to fifteen years ago). I have one neighbor that religiously feeds the turkeys and sometimes I have up to 75 roaming across my property. I also donate a little food (corn) during the hard winter months. They also clean up my old duck food. Many posters have pointed out that chickens seem to help. I am still aware that, even with the help of the turkeys, that we could still get that one stray tick.
Deer ticks have preferences, mostly for deer and mice and some small mammals like shrews. It is one of several tick carriers depending on where you live. It is the most common one on the East Coast that carries the Lyme disease spirochete. They can make due on the blood of many animals so they will use "accidental" hosts including cows and humans if they do not get their primary meal ticket (deer and mice). Not all animals they get a meal from get sick, but humans do get ill, as do dogs. I have not heard how often or how many ticks have been found on cows but it is on the list of animals the ticks feed on. In other areas there are ticks that carry diseases the cows do get, like a form of babesiosis in Texas. Clear as mud, right?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:00 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,217,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

I know that dog ticks actually prefer blood that is at dog metabolic temperature. They will certainly feed on humans, but they prefer a little hotter blood.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,217,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I read something along the lines of this for deer ticks x 3 years. This is why I light them on fire until they pop instead of just flushing them when I find one either on myself or a dog.
I nit-pick over my dog several times a week and keep a small spice jar filled with rubbing alcohol handy so I can count them when we're done. I don't like flushing them either, makes me paranoid.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 AM

36,497 posts, read 45,482,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't like flushing them either, makes me paranoid.

I'm always afraid any insect I put in the toilet is hiding under the rim just waiting for my soft white, warm rear end to plop down on the seat to jump up and attack. If that is paranoid count me in.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:50 PM

5,065 posts, read 14,110,264 times
Ticks are a real problem where I live in Ct., surrounded by woods. My dogs and cats go into the woods all the time, so do we for that matter. I don't spray our lawn, there wouldn't be much point to it. At any rate I don't want my family in contact with all the chemicals. I did read that in 2014 there is an organic tick spray/control coming out, called Tick-Ex. So far it has proven to be very effective in trials, I might try that. But with all the deer/mice/etc. coming onto our property 24/7 from the surrounding woods, there is only so much we can do. If we find a tick on ourselves, we have the tick tested for Lyme for a few bucks, so that if we have any kind of illness days or weeks later we'll have a better idea of what we might be dealing with. Some of my family members have had Lyme disease.

Info on Tick-Ex:
http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/docu...calcontrol.pdf

Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 PM

15,907 posts, read 12,700,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm always afraid any insect I put in the toilet is hiding under the rim just waiting for my soft white, warm rear end to plop down on the seat to jump up and attack. If that is paranoid count me in.
Don’t worry about the ticks too much; worry about the bats!

Several of us own a hunting camp way back in the woods. The ticks are pretty bad back there. However; one time my wife used our bathroom and had a surprise. As she was finishing up a black movement caught her eye under the seat. She lifted up the seat and two bats dropped into the hopper as the flush was going down. It was too late to save the bats; but I don’t think that she had saving them on her mind! Just a little experience that she will never forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or