U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM

5,254 posts, read 9,158,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post

HB2HSV I'm glad whatever I've written about has helped encourage you. Nurturing green things is one of the most rewarding ways to spend the day. I'm wishing you many happy days in your garden.
Thanks. But for the record there is NO WAY I am wearing bikini while gardening. I wear my farmer's tan with pride as a badge of honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,699,736 times
I'm definitely going to check and see if a Master Gardener's course is available here...thanks for the tip, I'll take whatever help I can get on this journey, LOL! I belong to a co-op about an hour from here (in New Mexico) and they have started offering their members the chance to volunteer at the farm their produce is from, and I definitely plan on doing that, too!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,223,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We have 1/3 acre lot and the back is surrounded by woods which of course are full of deer. Oh how I HATE deer. My main purposes for a fence are

1) keep deer out and
2) keep my two small dogs in - smallest is maltese 6 lbs.

We don't want to ruin our view of the woods in the back so I was thinking of a combination of fences with maybe electric on the very back and side well within our property boundaries. The other side is in the middle of a natural area I share with the neighbors. I have extensive plantings on my side, they barely maintain their side.

The gate would be at the end of the driveway and one portion of it will be attached to the house.

It is a very expensive neighborhood and I see a lot of black wrought iron (I assume) which would look nice but my small dog could easily get out. So what would I put up at the bottom---chicken wire? that sounds tacky.

The side I share with a neighbor would be nice to grow climbing vines on.

I don't care too much about privacy and the typical deer fence looks like c.r.a.p. The house is a beautiful Craftsman type.

Any suggestions? Many thanks.
My first thought about a functional fence that can be easy on the eyes and can agree with Craftsman architecture is a "hog panel" fence. Please see the link.

http://www.deckmastersnw.com/wp-cont...2491118439.jpg

Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 AM

36,498 posts, read 45,497,620 times
YES YES this is very similar to what I am thinking about. Seems like it wouldn't bee too expensive cause not much wood involved, plenty of clingy places for vines and I love the semi arbors. Also would keep the dogs in. Since privacy isn't my issue it just might be the answer. I'd give you a gazillion rep points if I could. Actually I have looked on line for weeks but didn't see this one. Again thanks. CD people are the very BEST.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,223,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
YES YES this is very similar to what I am thinking about. Seems like it wouldn't bee too expensive cause not much wood involved, plenty of clingy places for vines and I love the semi arbors. Also would keep the dogs in. Since privacy isn't my issue it just might be the answer. I'd give you a gazillion rep points if I could. Actually I have looked on line for weeks but didn't see this one. Again thanks. CD people are the very BEST.
The fence in the picture is actually fabricated with 4"x4" cattle panel. It's ideal for jasmines, I've seen muscadines on them and I'm sure it would work for just about any creeping vine. One consideration may be that a 6 lb. papillon could come and go as she pleases...

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 AM

15,429 posts, read 13,374,861 times
would a stone wall be out of the question, Ive noticed a lot of lovely houses on trips around the Highlands of Scotland and in Ireland with these old type of walls. Id love one myself but have black wrought iron round mine. http://landscaping.about.com/od/Buil...ne-walls_4.htm good luck anyway.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:49 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,308,314 times
We live in an ideal environment for deer and they are my nemesis for sure. I do mix up the deer and rabbit repellent and spray every other week - that helps quite a bit but they still will come and nibble once in a while - but they don't do much damage because things don't taste that great with deer spray. We grow tons of things that the deer love and many things that they are supposed to not like and depending on the season, they eat most of it.

What is interesting to me is to find out that things like Japanese Quince and Bayberry - with all their thorns - are eaten by the deer. They need woody twigs for digestion - I was recently informed of this. The deer nibble at our quince all the time and have almost killed a new Bayberry. They eat our burning bushes, nandina and variegated euonymus to the point of nearly killing the plants (in winter only) - unfortunately we have many of these shrubs.

We can have only approved fences in our subdivision, none of which will keep the deer out, although they will discourage deer. Deer can jump most most fences with no problem but it is true that they don't like to be hemmed in.

I have read that the sensor activated sprinklers do a good job of keeping deer away. Our deer will run when the motion flood lights are activated. My husband actually chases them across the meadow (good exercise and a treat for the neighbors to watch).

I will tell you that I dislike chain link fences intensely, regardless of the color, and that would be my last choice - thank goodness that are not allowed where I live. We do not have a fence yet we do have daylillies, hydrangea, roses, coneflower and tons of shrubs that the deer love but we still have a beautiful garden. Weekly spraying, motion lights, motion sprinklers, etc. will help discourage the deer and for us that is about the best we can do.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM

36,498 posts, read 45,497,620 times
believe me we have tried everything under the sun. see my original post about urine, spray, hair, sprinkler, etc. The only thing we haven't tried is a fence.

Basically the only part which will be seen from the street is at the end of the driveway where we would put a nice gate. The right hand side property line is in a shared wooded strip, the back is in the woods and the other side is about 20 feet in from the property line so I can attach another gate to the house.

Stone might be OK for the lower portion of the street facing section but I wouldn't want to spend the money anywhere else. the suggested fence would work fi I put up something at the lower 2-3 feet to keep the 6 lb maltese in.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM

16,053 posts, read 20,642,785 times
Remembered your thread, just saw these perennials...maybe they will help Must-Grow New Varieties of Perennials for 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or