U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 AM

1,214 posts, read 4,465,627 times

Advertisements

I have 2 Stella D'Oro day lillies that have grown to be GIGANTIC.

Much larger than the space I put them in 2 years ago (approx. 4' x 3' plot).

The lillies have grown so large that my other plants are being choked out and having to fight for sun light.

So this weekend I divided and transplanted 1 day lillie and the other one I moved about 2 feet over so the plant would be more centrally placed.

I have never transplanted anything before so I probably did it wrong. I was just so frustrated.

Question:

The day lillies at first seemed to have droopy flower stems but by the end of the day of transplant, those stems have started reaching up. I assume the plants will survive the transplant...right?

Second; The folliage from the plants are so full (2 - 3 feet in diameter) that I just resorted to cutting the leaves to half the size if the leaves were encroaching neighboring plant. I did not cut any stem flowers. I am sure this is wrong or there is a proper way to "groom" daylillies.
Any advice or links? I couldn't find any info on pruning daylillies.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,472,339 times
We treat them like lettuce every year and cut them to the ground. Always come back bigger and stronger.

They'll be fine just give them some fert and water.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times
the leaves provide the nourishment for the bulbs so it is not a good idea to cut them down. in time they will yellow and die to the base. it is hard to kill daylilies, but I don't like to divide them while they are blooming. Just the rough treatment knocks off so many scapes and you lose your color.

I have divided many day lilies in my day. Sometimes I take my sharp shooter and stab down right in the middle of the plant and then divide that mess again . Sometimes I soak the roots in a bucket of water to help me untangle the roots, but only for the really expensive ($50+) ones I want to divide.

I think if you got some good roots to transplant you will be just fine but don't be cutting any more foliage, as it will die back by the end of the summer.

there is lots of info on dividing daylilies, not pruning...nobody prunes daylilies.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:57 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,560,764 times
Daylillies are pretty much un-killable, no worries. Since they are now approaching bloom, this isn't a good time to divide and move them, but they'll be fine.

After blooming I cut them back because they sprawl all over everything for the rest of the season looking really weedy. They always come back with a vengeance. Fall is the season to divide and move perennials.

In fact they're so weedy looking and their bloom season is so short, last year we dug up dozens of huge daylillies.....and dumped them in the compost bin.

As a garden flower I give daylillies a big *meh*. They're ok planted at a distance in an area of their own, but they're too weedy and aggressive for flower beds.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM

20,419 posts, read 39,122,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
. Fall is the season to divide and move perennials.

Not so for everyone.
I split hosta in the early spring before they leaf out.
Irises just got split.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times
of course daylilies are tuberous perennials and not bulbs. there are so many videos and articles on the web about how to divide daylilies I didn't even know where to start. One I found killed my soul cause it showed this woman digging up a clump that was in full bloom. she hardly touched a scape so no harm was done but her soil was like cake so not much energy needed. if you grow them in clay, more effort is needed.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM

1,214 posts, read 4,465,627 times
Oh, well. I dug them up in full bloom.

I was 2 steps from putting them in the trash so I figured "whatever".

but I am surprised that very few flower buds have dried up. And the few that were drooping down are now bending upward toward the sky. So I'm thinking they will be okay.

And for the person who said they look okay by themselves but too aggressive for the flower bed... thank you. I just learned that. I planted these 2 years ago because I thought they were pretty flowers and bloom for such a long time and even the leaves are fresh looking after bloom time is over... but now... too much.

I will move all these plants in the fall to a place they can grow without restraint. Maybe a cluster in the far corner of my yard.

Thanks all for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden