Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM

224 posts, read 828,427 times

Advertisements

I don't see many folks container garden though there are plenty of websites on the subject. I'm trying it this year myself. Wondering if anyone here has experience with this and what you are growing? I have bib lettuce, nantes carrots, radishes and cucumbers growing like mad right now. Tomatoes and bell peppers aren't doing so well (growing really slow). Am wondering if green beans are a possibility? I don't know when or where or why but I came across some green bean "seeds" I have purchased at some point and wondering if I should attempt to plant in container?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 05:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I do tomatoes and peppers the last couple years and they did better than when I put them in the ground. I had to cage the tomatoes as they got really big. They really did not take off until July or so.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:00 PM

224 posts, read 828,427 times
I've heard there is less chance of disease or fungus in peppers by not growing in-ground. I've purchased tomato plants in years past and they did very well in containers. However, this year I planted Cherokee purple tomato seeds and after 2 months they are only about 1.5 inch tall and have only gotten 2 plants out of maybe a dozen seeds. I have no experience with growing tomatoes from seeds nor with this variety plant, so no idea what/if I am doing something wrong.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:49 PM

878 posts, read 2,738,061 times
I have tomato doing very very well and Scotch Bonnet hot peppers....I wish I had done cucumbers.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,750,643 times
I have around 30 or so little green tomatoes on my 4 container plants. They seem to be healthy and doing very well.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
If the container is big enough to grow tomatoes, you'll be able to grow beans in it. We're doing raised bed gardening since it is much easier to take care of than an in ground garden. We did make a mistake with the beans and planted pole beans in front so they blocked the light from the tomatoes in the back, but the beans don't last that long so now there's sun on the tomatoes. Those are all indeterminate so they will keep vining all over the place. It's time to replant the beans, lettuce and beets since we've eaten them all. It's also time to switch to the warmer summer crops such as the red and romaine lettuces since those do better in the summer.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 AM

672 posts, read 2,114,136 times
I am trying corn and bush cucumbers in half barrels this year. I am using Mel Bartholomew's growing mix for the soil (1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat, 1/3 mix of 5 kinds of compost). The corn looks great and so does the cukes. We'll see how they taste later on this summer

Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
I had a picture of the root ball of a Tomato plant I grew in a LARGE pot one year. After seeing the roots compacted like that I knew Pots werent for Tomatoes ...HOWEVER... Determinate varieties of tomatoes, also called "bush" tomatoes, can be grown in pots nicely (big pots)

EggPlants are ok but prefer the ground
Peppers love pots especially hot peppers.(Bell peppers do better in ground but can do well in large pot too)
Brocolli is ok too
The Beans need to be dwarf style or just be ready to let it climb onto something. Put the pot near a fence or something.

Advantages of pots are, soil stays moist
Pot stays warmer then ground overnight
They are portable
Less chance of ground soil diseases

Disadvantages of pots are, pot dehydrates quicker because of the heat so you'll need to water more often.
Roots dont go the way they like to which is vertical.
Hard to stake them up since pots are deep enough for stake
Pots take up more space.
Pots cost more money

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
I'm doing containers on my rooftop terrace. I'm a city girl who never had potted plants, nevermind actual veggies growing from seed.

I have arugula, cherry tomatoes, two kinds of chives, spring onion, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, radishes, and three kinds of peppers growing.

I have really enjoyed watching them grow from seed it's been quite a learning experience for the most part.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
I tried growing peppers last year, but my container was too small. It was about 2 gallons, I think. This year, I am using the gigantic pots and growing my sweet potatoes and regular potatoes in them.

My mom is a super gardener, and she says you can grow regular potatoes in something like a barrel...gives you an idea of how big of a container you should probably select. Veggies get a lot bigger in a relatively short period of time. I would put one plant per 5+ gallon container.

Sweet potatoes (the red-skinned kind we eat in the Caribbean) are grown as ornamentals in a lot of places...LOL when I lived in the city, I actually dug one up (yes I know I am naughty) and ate it. Soo...I'm looking forward to the ones I'm growing in pots to start "cascading" and being lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden