U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:10 PM

75,138 posts, read 87,558,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Cute story. It's nice to have nature up close.

Same here, anywhere between 2 and 3 nests per year depending on the bird species. Currently the bluebirds and mockingbirds are on nest number two.

You have to be living pretty far north for just one set of bird hatchlings per year. On the other hand much as it seems like they are there longer, Japanese beetles normally eat and mate for a month and then lay eggs in the soil that make the grubs that will be next year's beetles. They usually appear somewhere around mid June and are gone by mid July. Japanese beetle lifecycle - Schroeer Scientific Illustration Sadly several of my local beetles didn't get the notice and are already chomping on the garden.

Some birds will reuse nesting sites, and some will "fix up" the nest of another bird but most birds do not reuse the nest for successive broods. Birds have bird parasites (mites as one example) that would concentrate with multiple inhabitants over a few months. This is why you are suppose to clean out nest boxes if you put them up. There are some birds who might revisit and fix up a nest from a previous year, most likely that's enough time passed to eliminate the threat of parasites still being present.
looks like the Cardinals were too cheap to buy a new home so they just used the old one that was being used by the first family. They did re-model it and build it with trigs up above the hanging plant. I think they are finished and mom might be sitting on or about to sit on her eggs. With all our heat she doesn't really have to do that, they would hatch without her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 AM

Mommy Cardinal is sitting on the nest now. I wonder how long before the eggs hatch? I have decided to let the plant just die. It is so hot here anyway, we are not expecting much of a cooling off period and the hanging plants are really cheap in the nurseries around here. I am just going to replace it, I don't want to disturb mommy....

Nita

Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 AM

Baby Cardinal is alive and well. It looks like there is only one, he has the usual Cardinal beak so I can see it sticking out of the nest. I think he is about 5 days old and hungry all the time. How do I know? Mom and dad keep bringing him food and he keeps eating it or appears to, cause it doesn't take long for his parents to drop the food in his mouth, you can see his little beek open and then they fly away. I know, my daughter tells me to get a life, but this is my life. I love watching the process.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM

update, there are 3 babies, I don't know if they hatched at different times or if number 1 is just Alpha bird and the others stay a little behind. Number one has his beek and now head sticking up all the time. I worry they will die from lack of water, but I am sure mom has a way to take care of this.

Nita

Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM

506 posts, read 1,001,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
update, there are 3 babies, I don't know if they hatched at different times or if number 1 is just Alpha bird and the others stay a little behind. Number one has his beek and now head sticking up all the time. I worry they will die from lack of water, but I am sure mom has a way to take care of this.

Nita
Alot of birds get their water from their food. No need to concern.

Even big animals like Lions and Cheetahs rarely drink. They just drink their preys' blood.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:34 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,721,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
It's nice to get the updates. The mockingbird couple in my cherry tree have fledged a second set of little ones who have been hopping about the gardens calling for food every 20 seconds it seems. The cardinals are a little further away so I can't see their progress. You aren't the only one who enjoys the show. LOL I just don't have the benefit of having a nest so close by.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
It's nice to get the updates. The mockingbird couple in my cherry tree have fledged a second set of little ones who have been hopping about the gardens calling for food every 20 seconds it seems. The cardinals are a little further away so I can't see their progress. You aren't the only one who enjoys the show. LOL I just don't have the benefit of having a nest so close by.
Hubby just held the camera up slightly above the nest today and snapped a couple of pictures. sunset, thanks for telling me about the water: I just worry so much about those kids and when I was a mom I din't bother to worry. I was the most relaxed mom in the world: Guess I can stop checking on them every hour.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 AM

well they are at least a week old I guess. The alpha male is anyway: they are now standing on the side of the nest or trying to and I am so afraid they will fall out, but apparently Cardinals fly away pretty young. In a few days they will be gone..I will miss them, so will hubby and even our older daughter when she pops in to viisit. They should be pretty friendly little birds as they are living in the plant on the front porch as I mentioned so we go out and talk to them several times a day..

Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM

today we got several pics of all three, standing almost outside the nest, daddy and mommy were both there and it looks like the babies will be leaving us anyday now. They still have some fuzz, but mostly feathers, are flapping their wings and I am sure anxious to take on the world.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM

1,699 posts, read 5,809,055 times
Would love to see your pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden