U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 AM

75,096 posts, read 87,503,145 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many of you remember my bird story from a few years ago: short but brief, we had a hanging plant that had a nest in it, so I stopped watering the plant (thought I would drown the babies) when it was completely dead, we took it down, put it in a trash can, just to hear the babies raising hell the next morning. We removed it, mom did return to take care of them and a few days later they all decided they were grown up enough to start their own lives. Anyway every year since we have had a hanging plant in the same place, I now realize I will not drown the kids so I do water the plant. I also watch mom and dad build the nest and watch the good parents feed the little kids as they grow. Well today, I went to water and out flew a baby: it was the last to leave home. so I will have to wait til nextr year to watch the wonder of mother nature.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM

4,363 posts, read 8,473,467 times
Dunno what species, but many species do 2-3 nestings/hatchings a season/year...
Some species come back to same nest, some come back to same species nest, (but it wasn't theirs originally), and most do a slight 're-do' if it is an existing nest.

You have a long 'season' in AR, so they may be back.
GL, mD

Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 PM

866 posts, read 997,890 times
The babies we had in the nandina bush outside the bedroom window flew the nest
a few days ago, but there is a new nest in the climbing rosebush at the front
living room window that has had activity in it...we have a total of 5 nests around
our yard in various stages of activity...I think they are all cardinals from what we
have seen so far...it's truly amazing to watch nature do it's thing in spite of man's
interferance and encrouchment...

Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Some species come back to same nest, some come back to same species nest, (but it wasn't theirs originally), and most do a slight 're-do' if it is an existing nest.

GL, mD
Knowing almost nothing about birds I have no idea what kind they are, but normally they only built their homes once a year, they are not like the damn Japanese beetles that just keep making babies all summer: darn things, they eat my bean leaves...I like the birds a lot more.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 AM

588 posts, read 1,243,279 times
My chickadees fledged the nest a few weeks ago. Maybe they are early feldgers, though?

It's fun to watch mother nature at work like that, isn't it?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM

866 posts, read 997,890 times
just wondering...do birds re-use the nests they build from one year to the next?
I have several nests in bushes that were built this year by birds but once the babies
are big enough to leave it seems the nest is abandoned by the parents as well.
wonder why they do that...

Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,718,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know how many of you remember my bird story from a few years ago: short but brief, we had a hanging plant that had a nest in it, so I stopped watering the plant (thought I would drown the babies) when it was completely dead, we took it down, put it in a trash can, just to hear the babies raising hell the next morning. We removed it, mom did return to take care of them and a few days later they all decided they were grown up enough to start their own lives. Anyway every year since we have had a hanging plant in the same place, I now realize I will not drown the kids so I do water the plant. I also watch mom and dad build the nest and watch the good parents feed the little kids as they grow. Well today, I went to water and out flew a baby: it was the last to leave home. so I will have to wait til nextr year to watch the wonder of mother nature.

Nita
Cute story. It's nice to have nature up close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

GL, mD
Same here, anywhere between 2 and 3 nests per year depending on the bird species. Currently the bluebirds and mockingbirds are on nest number two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Knowing almost nothing about birds I have no idea what kind they are, but normally they only built their homes once a year, they are not like the damn Japanese beetles that just keep making babies all summer: darn things, they eat my bean leaves...I like the birds a lot more.
You have to be living pretty far north for just one set of bird hatchlings per year. On the other hand much as it seems like they are there longer, Japanese beetles normally eat and mate for a month and then lay eggs in the soil that make the grubs that will be next year's beetles. They usually appear somewhere around mid June and are gone by mid July. Japanese beetle lifecycle - Schroeer Scientific Illustration Sadly several of my local beetles didn't get the notice and are already chomping on the garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
just wondering...do birds re-use the nests they build from one year to the next?
I have several nests in bushes that were built this year by birds but once the babies
are big enough to leave it seems the nest is abandoned by the parents as well.
wonder why they do that...

Some birds will reuse nesting sites, and some will "fix up" the nest of another bird but most birds do not reuse the nest for successive broods. Birds have bird parasites (mites as one example) that would concentrate with multiple inhabitants over a few months. This is why you are suppose to clean out nest boxes if you put them up. There are some birds who might revisit and fix up a nest from a previous year, most likely that's enough time passed to eliminate the threat of parasites still being present.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,258,324 times
I have four purple martin hatchlings that stick their heads out of the nestbox all the time now competing for the offerings that their parents continually bring home. I watched them for about an hour while I did some gardening yesterday; they were making me tired. Dragonfly, then about a minute later some sort of beetle, then a grasshoper, some kind of cranefly, etc. etc. ad nauseum. They never stop stuffing food into the mouths of those gaping babies from sunrise to sunset. Good parents. It's astounding to contemplate what the volume of insects that those babies have consumed would look like if they were assembled in a pile.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I have four purple martin hatchlings that stick their heads out of the nestbox all the time now competing for the offerings that their parents continually bring home. I watched them for about an hour while I did some gardening yesterday; they were making me tired. Dragonfly, then about a minute later some sort of beetle, then a grasshoper, some kind of cranefly, etc. etc. ad nauseum. They never stop stuffing food into the mouths of those gaping babies from sunrise to sunset. Good parents. It's astounding to contemplate what the volume of insects that those babies have consumed would look like if they were assembled in a pile.
Isn't it amazing, they never seem to have a weight problem, not like the rest of us and we don't feed our faces all day. At least I don't, but I certainly do something to keep the lbs on; maybe if I tried learning to fly it would help?

Old 06-09-2012, 02:18 PM

shock orf all shocks, they are back, but I am not sure it they are even the same kind of birds. They are not building another nest, but look like there are babies again. Does anyone know how long after the eggs are layed they hatch? I can assure you, I am totally confused. I told my husband, maybe the last family were just renters so they moved and now another family is moving in. I watch 2 of them about an hour ago: both were on the rope that holds the plant. The one lower on the rope took a worm out of the other ones mouth and disappeared for just a couple of minutes into the plant and obviously the nest. No, I am not drunk, I haven't even had a glass of wine yet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden