U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,769,298 times

Advertisements

Last season my Miss Kim lilac (which blooms a bit later than the common lilac) was just loaded with blossoms. This season I am getting about half the amount of last year. The bush looks very healthy and has increased in size. It is about 8 years old this year. Wondering why and if I should feed it. I am located in mid Maine where lilacs flourish. We had an extremly warm spell in March and I thought that may be the reason. Now we are into a spell that is very wet and colder than normal. I know the weather through out the year can have a profound effect on shrubs.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 06-05-2012 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 AM

36,501 posts, read 45,590,487 times
Lilacs need a good spell of cold weather and I'm guess anywhere on the eastern section of the USA just did not get that cold dormant period. She should be OK next year if we have any winter to speak of.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:06 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,719,932 times
The last year or so has been a roller coaster ride for many plants in the eastern third of the country as we had record warmth and weird out of season temps and rain patterns. Lots of plants got fooled into blooming too early, longer than normal or completely out of season. Some began thickening buds and then got hit with late freezes and frosts. Any of this can have an effect on your lilacs as well. Usually if they need "feeding" in spring it should be a little while after they bloom when they begin setting new buds for next year's bloom. If the lilac has been gradually getting more shaded every year (after 8 years other things may have grown in and over it a bit) it might also not put out as many blooms.

So make sure it gets a good general fertilizer as the blooms fade out and give it another year to see what happens. It may also need a little pruning to rejuvenate it a little if you haven't ever pruned it.

Edit... with interruptions I took forever to get this posted and NoKudzu stepped in... she is right, I think even in Maine we didn't get the cold we normally do on this side of the continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden