U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,663,319 times

Advertisements

Rotten, lousy, no good hulking deer!!!

One evening a week ago I spotted them grazing in my backyard flower beds and chased them off. Then I got my hot pepper wax and sprayed everything in sight.

We had rain for a week, and it finally cleared up yesterday, but I didn't get around to respraying the pepper.
Well, this evening I went out to spray, but it was too late.
They had already eaten off the tops of most of my phlox, and had gotten through a quarter of the tiny tender tips of a fairy rose. They also chomped off the tops of my echinaceas.

I've sprayed everything in the backyard, but only had enough left in the bottle to spray 2 of the fairy roses out front.
Must get to the garden center tomorrow and buy more Bonide.

Rotten deer. I was hoping they had moved on, because they didn't visit my garden last year.

I have a little ground red pepper in the kitchen. I'm afraid they'll munch on the other two fairy roses tonight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM

698 posts, read 2,668,562 times
Sorry to hear. Easy to understand your frustration.

Everything has to eat. Deer have no rotten or lousy intentions in mind, just plain old hunger. That is a strong force, and they will eat just about anything if hungry enough.

From all I've heard from friends in your situation there are many home remedies to try and plants to grow that deer don't like as much as others, but no guarantees except a well-built deer-proof fence.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM

18,354 posts, read 15,036,850 times
At Lowe’s or Home Depot (?) they sell deer fencing for about $20 for a 7 foot by 100 foot roll. The roll itself is only about four feet long – it is folded back on itself. It is very flimsy black plastic (maybe fiberglass?) but it usually holds them out for a year or so – until a buck get's it's antlers stuck it it. I usually just buy 2”X4”X8' and rip them in half and point them. Then I just staple the fencing to the tall stakes. I have even made doors out of the the 2”X2” and stapled on the fencing.

I have lived where I am at for 35+ years. I originally had a large garden and the deer left me alone. But; every year got harder. Deer found out they liked more of my crops. It wasn't just the deer – the gray squirrels, rabbits and raccoons also got my number. My large garden only had a four foot high fence – not very effective against the deer, squirrels and raccoons. After fifteen years I threw in the towel – I ripped down my four foot high fence. I also gave up gardening until I made smaller raised beds that were surrounded by the seven foot high fencing.

When I had the larger garden I had tried all the repellents. They only work so long – usually until a good rainfall. If you forget, like you did and I did in the past; there is nothing left.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:36 AM

4,563 posts, read 9,274,230 times
We had deer, by the herd, at our NY house, for decades...we tried everything to deter them.

Our neighbors across the woods had a doberman contained by invisible fence: he kept them off when he was out, but the damn deer learned that his barking from inside the house, at night, was harmless.

We had archery parties on our deck to thin the herd...helped a bit.

We eventually gave up trying to use fencing or other prophylactics, bought salt licks and bags of cheap, rotten apples and setup a feeding area across our stream, in the back forty. That reduced their 'closer in' foraging on our perennial and shrub gardens.

There is no real prevention or cure, imo, and in my experience, other than 15'+ fencing.
GL, mD

Old 06-11-2012, 07:41 AM

23,771 posts, read 25,621,069 times
Have had great success using the water sprayers as a deterent without having to create a penitenary environment with 8 ft tall fencing.

Deer Control: Scarecrow Spray Away Deer & Animal Repeller

Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 AM

29,481 posts, read 71,210,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
Sorry to hear. Easy to understand your frustration.

Everything has to eat. Deer have no rotten or lousy intentions in mind, just plain old hunger. That is a strong force, and they will eat just about anything if hungry enough.

From all I've heard from friends in your situation there are many home remedies to try and plants to grow that deer don't like as much as others, but no guarantees except a well-built deer-proof fence.
Including you. Eat the deer.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 AM

5,559 posts, read 23,100,478 times
I put an extension on the top of my fence to keep out the deer and preserve my landscape plantings. Although they can clear very high barriers when they get a run, in closer quarters they seem reluctant to try a jump an eye level obstacle. So they used to just hop over a four foot fence but without room to easily run a seven foot fence is stopping them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden