Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
But you are talking about your established rose with a mature root system - not the OP's newly transplanted rose - completely different circumstance. Roses that have been transplanted should be given water when it is hot - at least for a while - not to be overdone. Transplanting disturbs the roots and for a while the plant does not intake water as efficiently has it did before being transplanted - it takes time for that to happen.
This, and (as I am learning) not all rose bushes have the same rigor and tolerance for various things. There are varieties that can withstand virtually anything except lack of sunlight, with little to no maintenance, and there are others that require more shade/moisture to really thrive, and some are more prone to disease and pests than others. It also really depends on your climate, because "full sun" is different in an extremely hot, arid climate than it is in a moderate one with four distinct seasons and plentiful rainfall. Checking the soil about 3 feet deep is excellent advice, so you can gage how long it takes to adequately soak the beds and how long to wait between watering...moist but not soggy is a good rule-of-thumb with summertime rose watering from what people here have told me .

I wholeheartedly agree that when transplanting anything it's important to give a little more water than you normally would, especially in the summer, unless it rains a lot where you live, and of course depending on your soil. I have a lot of clay in my soil too, and it does take a bit longer to make sure the beds are adequately soaked on the days I can water (we have restrictions here) but from what I've heard (and I admit I'm still a novice here!) it's better to water deeply and less frequently than it is to water lightly on a daily basis anyway.

Good luck! I'm sending good vibes and love to both you and your roses !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,911,453 times
When transplanting roses in the heat of June,
water, water and mulch.
Water the rose bush EVERY day for a week.
Make sure the mulch is on the bush.
Keep it moist.
Roses LOVE water and ripping it out of the ground, especially an older
rose bush, will rip roots on the bottom of the bush,
and the feeder roots, which are important, on the top of the soil
where the bush was.
They sell a Miracle grow product in any store, called FAST START.
For transplanting bushes and trees, anything really.
I have found that this product is awesome in helping the roots
regrow in it's new spot.
You apply it once when you transplant it and then again in 10 days.
By the way, unless you let it dry out, that rose bush will be fine.
Roses are extremely hardy, or at least that has been my experience with them.
That was a great idea moving that bush, I would have moved it too!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:06 AM

58 posts, read 248,610 times
Default It Lives.

After days of watching a praying that the rose bush will survive my inexperienced transplanting maneuver, IT LIVES!!!! There are several new growth shoots and it looks great.

Thank you all for your suggestions and support!!

Transplanted a Rose bush...Did I kill it?-101_0706.jpg

Transplanted a Rose bush...Did I kill it?-101_0707.jpg

Old 06-27-2012, 03:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,556 times
Awesome!

They're as tough as old boots.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujub529 View Post
After days of watching a praying that the rose bush will survive my inexperienced transplanting maneuver, IT LIVES!!!! There are several new growth shoots and it looks great.

Great news. Keep it up and you'll have beautiful blooms before you know it. Thanks for reporting back, so few people do that for some reason.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Yay!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujub529 View Post

Attachment 97432

Attachment 97433
That's great news, jujub!

I was searching for a thread dealing with dying rose bushes and came across this one. I have a lovely rose bush that I purchased at a nursery in spring of 2011. It performed beautifully last summer and bloomed well into the fall. This spring, it also grew very well and produced a bazillion flowers early in the season, likely due to the unseasonably mild winter we had, followed by a very warm March.

Since the first batch of blossoms died off, the bush has only produced one more bud, which only half opened and then withered. In the past week and a half, the leaves have been dying off and the plant looks pathetic. I should've taken a photo this morning before work, to post for you.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering whether I have overwatered the rose bush. We're in the midst of a lengthy drought, so I've been watering the rose bush every day. I didn't realize that it was okay to let roses dry out between waterings. I will refrain from watering it for the next several days and see whether it improves. My fingers are crossed!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,737 times
All plants need water when transplanted. And roses love water and food. That's how they flower all the time. Yes, water it when the soil starts becoming dry but don't over water it. Best to transplant in cool weather or at night and pre water the dug hole before putting plant in and after you plant it when filled with soil.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
My transplanted roses have green main stems, but the little stems are brown and the leaves are crunchy. We had to transplant these established roses the end of May, here in Dallas. Do you think they will come back? Should I cut off the dead little limbs and leaves or leave them alone? So far I have left them alone.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,002 times
We moved and I couldn't barely to leave my roses behind. That said, all the leaves are crispy I'm afaid I killed them.  I didn't trim them down before we moved should I do that now. I watered them when I replanted. The next day they didn't get watered that's when they turned crispy. I've been giving them a good drink every evening. Some look better others I'm worried about. Please help, I don't want to lose them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden