Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM

449 posts, read 874,009 times

Advertisements

I went to Home Depot and bought a bottle of Elements' Insecticical Soap, and paid close to $12 with tax. Very-nice bottle nozzle. I sprayed several plants and it was gone!!!!!

Now, I need your best recipe for the homemade kind. Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,964,052 times
Here is a link that claims that comon soap and dishwashing soaps will kill some of your pest: Insect Repellant Tips: Making Homemade Insecticidal Soap A one to two percent solution of Dawn or Ivory is much cheaper than your $12 bottle. It might not work as good – but for the money; it's worth a try.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 PM

41,699 posts, read 74,645,479 times
You can use just a solution with plain dish detergent; if you'd rather not use detergent, any liquid castile soap will do.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:09 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,730,277 times
My recipe, if I don't feel too lazy and use a product like that from Safer brand: In a large seal-able glass jar 1 cup vegetable oil (any kitchen safe oil will work) and 1 tablespoon of liquid Ivory dishwashing liquid or Murphy's Oil Soap. Mix well by shaking until you get a bubbly mixture. Pour out 1tablespoon of the mixture into a sprayer (save the one from the expensive stuff) and fill with 2 cups of water to make regular strength spray. Store the rest in the sealed jar for future use in a cool but not cold place.

Just some notes on correct use of insecticidal soaps (homemade or commercially made):

1) Some plants tolerate being coated with oil and soap less well than others. Try it in one small area of a plant and wait 2 days to see if there are any bad effects. For example some tomato varieties are sensitive, as are Azaleas, which can get a scorched look if treated too much. Sometimes you can dilute the spray and still have it work without getting leaf damage but always test first!!

2) The spray only works with direct contact to the insect, not by coating the plant. This means some careful targeting and not coating plant leaves where it has no effect. Careful targeting also means you should not go through the whole sprayer full on 2 or 3 plants! If you have Japanese Beetles, for example, spray each one with a single short burst of mist. If you have whiteflies carefully spray each leaf with a short and light burst, making sure to get the undersides, too. Avoid bees and "good" insects like ladybugs and Praying Mantis.

3) The best time to spray is early in the morning so that the soap spray stays damp a while. As soon as it is dry it no longer is effective.

4) As with many organic treatments it will need repeating. Wait a few days and check for whatever bug you are trying to get rid of. Reapply directly on the insects. Rinse and repeat every 3-5 days, the exception being Japanese Beetles which you may need to spray every day as they come out of the soil and look for their buddies.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,878,019 times
I use a little bit of regular original Dawn in a spray bottle I bought at the dollar
store with water.
It definately kills soft bodied insects.
I especially use it on my hibiscus, which always has bugs.
it works!
amazing!
Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden