Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times

Advertisements

I have never had any luck with herbs. I do great with vegetables but I have no idea what i do wrong woth herbs.

This plant started out full, green and nice. I have pulled some of the bad leaves off. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
It looks thirsty.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 AM

261 posts, read 497,251 times
one thing I learnt about basil that it is overly sensitive to the sun and also requires a fair amount of water. The way I've grown it successfully is in a pot that I can move around. I give it just a couple of hours of sunlight and move it indoors for most of the time. If I left it out in the sun too long it becomes listless, just as your plant appear to be.

oh, and the bugs seem to love basil, so next time I was wondering about planting garlic with it to deter the pests.

Last edited by coldPlay; 06-28-2012 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: added note about bugs

Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
one thing I learnt about basil that it is overly sensitive to the sun and also requires a fair amount of water. The way I've grown it successfully is in a pot that I can move around. I give it just a couple of hours of sunlight and move it indoors for most of the time. If I left it out in the sun too long it becomes listless, just as your plant appear to be.

oh, and the bugs seem to love basil, so next time I was wondering about planting garlic with it to deter the pests.
That's interesting. What is your climate like? I find I have much more success growing basil than my brothers who live in the Bay Area and Portland, OR. It just loves our intense Texas heat, though I definitely need to water often. I also prune the basil plants often to encourage new growth from the bottom. You can't let them get leggy, which they will do very quickly here if I don't keep an eye on them.

Also Lisa, I have read that basil loves to be planted with tomatoes.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 AM

261 posts, read 497,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
That's interesting. What is your climate like? I find I have much more success growing basil than my brothers who live in the Bay Area and Portland, OR. It just loves our intense Texas heat, though I definitely need to water often. I also prune the basil plants often to encourage new growth from the bottom. You can't let them get leggy, which they will do very quickly here if I don't keep an eye on them.

Also Lisa, I have read that basil loves to be planted with tomatoes.
interesting. I"m a little familiar with the TX heat, so that is surprising to hear. I've grown basil in the bay area climate and in Portland. It gets cold easily too, or maybe it's just my own projection. I love my basil and coddle it like a delicate child, lol (now in the Sacramento Valley area where it gets fairly dry and hot during August) Tomatoes on the other hand, I've not yet had any luck, but I will keep trying when I can.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 AM

My plants will live from spring to our first real freeze (Thanksgiving - December usually I think). I have definitely noticed that once it starts getting on the cold side that the leaves tend to taste bitter.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
It does look thirsty, but the plants around it look so healthy. If they're getting enough water, it should be too. Did you remember to loosen the roots and soil in the pot before you planted it? That's all I can think of.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I have a raised bed garden and yes everybody was thirsty this morning. I took the picture before I watered. I water every morning. The basil plant along with all the others do get sun all day long.

I thought maybe I gave it too much water. So do you think I should water it more than once a day since it is out in the sun all day?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Raised beds do dry out faster. I still don't understand why it would wilt and the others look fine, but it couldn't hurt to give the basil an extra watering for a couple of days to see if it looks better.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Pretty droopy looking.

Do me a favor and go out to your basil and sort of tug and wiggle on the main stalk. Does it seem firmly rooted or kind of loose and wiggly?

I'm kind of suspecting that you have a root problem, insufficient roots to support the health of the plant. Could be some bug/critter eating the roots, root rot, nematodes, insufficient root development to withstand extreme heat, whatever.

I'm guessing if you tug on it, it's going to feel unstable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden