U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM

77,804 posts, read 97,819,117 times

Advertisements

Ok, like so many the summer garden is a lost project this year. Normally we have enough to harvest that by fall I am ready to call it quits, but this year, other than tomatoes and a few herbs our garden has gone to graden heaven or maybe hell. I am getting ready to pull most of it out: does anyone have a great ideas for new planting, maybe some fun things for fall. Usually we don't get frost until early to mid November.

Nita
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 AM

242 posts, read 442,293 times
You could always try a few hills of cantaloup, wait until the plants show up before you mulch, and mulch fairly heavily, it keeps the roots damp and cantaloup use the extra water.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
You could always try a few hills of cantaloup, wait until the plants show up before you mulch, and mulch fairly heavily, it keeps the roots damp and cantaloup use the extra water.
thanks, I might give it a try.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:26 PM

27,078 posts, read 9,849,006 times
Sorry about your summer garden... ...I pulled out cucumber and indeterminant tomatoes already...they were exhausted!

You can still plant fast-growing/producing vegetables now...bush or pole beans, radishes, small peppers...small tomato transplants ie cherry/patio...just planted these in pots.

In my area fall gardens (late summer planting) can include broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, any type of greens ie kale, spinach...they thrive in cooling weather...a bit of frost actually sweetens kale and greens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Ok, like so many the summer garden is a lost project this year. Normally we have enough to harvest that by fall I am ready to call it quits, but this year, other than tomatoes and a few herbs our garden has gone to graden heaven or maybe hell. I am getting ready to pull most of it out: does anyone have a great ideas for new planting, maybe some fun things for fall. Usually we don't get frost until early to mid November.

Nita

Old 06-30-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sorry about your summer garden... ...I pulled out cucumber and indeterminant tomatoes already...they were exhausted!

You can still plant fast-growing/producing vegetables now...bush or pole beans, radishes, small peppers...small tomato transplants ie cherry/patio...just planted these in pots.

In my area fall gardens (late summer planting) can include broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, any type of greens ie kale, spinach...they thrive in cooling weather...a bit of frost actually sweetens kale and greens.
That is some help for sure. I think I will do another round of pole beasns and try a few fall things like maybe cauliflower and spinish. It certainly won't hurt...My tomatoes are still doing fine. They just are not as big as usual, but at least they are surviving.

Nita

Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,542,963 times
How late is too late to plant beans or snap peas?

I still have two big empty pots on my deck that were supposed to have tomatos...never got to it. I'm going to start working part time soon, so I could tend something now. I'm not a fan of home grown greens and we don't eat peppers. What else could I plant?

We are in NC, with a shady yard, thus the pots that I can drag into the sunniest spot.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,064,114 times
Where in NC are you? That will make a difference.

Here's a fall planting guide for NC. If you scroll down to the middle of the page, you'll see a chart with planting dates for different vegetables. You'll want to note that it says, "Dates shown are for the upper coastal plain and lower piedmont. In western NC delay planting 10 to 20 days in spring and plant 10 to 20 days earlier in fall. In eastern NC plant 7 to 14 days earlier in spring and 7 to 14 days later in fall."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden