Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,307 times

Advertisements

Well it's happening again. Last year something was digging in my yard at night and we finally figured out the it was Armadillos. By the time we figured out what it was, they stopped digging.

THEIR BAAAACKKKK.

I walked out last night to let the pup go potty and there was an armadillo. Well I yelled at it and not only scared it away but scared poor Bella also. She really didn't want to go down in the yard to potty after that.

Anyway, when I went out this morning the yard is a mess. I don't know if it was only one or if he/she came back with friends but there are holes and divots of grass all over. This lasted about a month or so last year and is a royal pain in the tush.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get rid of them?

Before it gets suggested let me say............no shooting, no poison and no other potential killing ideas please.

Thanks for your ideas.

Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
This was on the Missouri forum last month:
How to Trap An Armadillo - Trapping

Old 04-15-2010, 02:56 PM

332 posts, read 1,386,557 times
When I lived in Austin I used one of these:
Amazon.com: Havahart 5265 Spray Away Motion Activated Water Repellent: Patio, Lawn & Garden

If they are in your yard, you have grubs. I'd try to remedy the foodsource as well. Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:23 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,307 times
Thanks for the replies. I have an acre so I don't think the water spray would work and I'm not sure about trapping. I think derekv might have it right with removing the food source. I have a pestcontrol guy at work so I'll talk to him about it.

Thanks again for the responses.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
It doesn't matter where you live, there's always something... We would think an armadillo was exciting, but we have possums, groundhogs and skunks.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:34 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Well it's happening again. Last year something was digging in my yard at night and we finally figured out the it was Armadillos. By the time we figured out what it was, they stopped digging.

THEIR BAAAACKKKK.

I walked out last night to let the pup go potty and there was an armadillo. Well I yelled at it and not only scared it away but scared poor Bella also. She really didn't want to go down in the yard to potty after that.

Anyway, when I went out this morning the yard is a mess. I don't know if it was only one or if he/she came back with friends but there are holes and divots of grass all over. This lasted about a month or so last year and is a royal pain in the tush.

Does anyone have ideas on how to get rid of them?

Before it gets suggested let me say............no shooting, no poison and no other potential killing ideas please.

Thanks for your ideas.

Jess
I don't know anything about them but we have a lot of trouble with crows and rabbits in my area. And I had a lot of trouble with skunks at a former home. Are they looking for grubs? Throw out some grub killer....it comes in a sack like lawn fertilizer/food. Also, maybe throw out some moth balls.....that helped with the skunks...(I don't think your dog would lick them since they are so stinky)..

Look up a thread called 'pesky wabbits' or something like that.....there are a lot of suggestions.....and I finally bought something called scarecrow.....it is similar to a rainbird sprinkler with a sensor on it and it sprays water for 3 seconds when a bird, etc., comes to tear up the lawn....but get a good hose to go with it......the water must stay on at the spigot 24 hours a day and it creates a lot of pressure since it only goes off intermittently.....

Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have an acre so I don't think the water spray would work and I'm not sure about trapping. I think derekv might have it right with removing the food source. I have a pestcontrol guy at work so I'll talk to him about it.

Thanks again for the responses.
I spread grub killer out all the time and still, the crows come....the scarecrow shoots pretty far...(the distance can be adjusted)...but won't cover an acre, not even close.....

With an acre, you might have to have several haveahart traps set up......I did that with the skunks.....

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Just my opinion, but once trapping and alarm deterants have been eliminated about the only effective means left is a .22lr .

Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It doesn't matter where you live, there's always something... We would think an armadillo was exciting, but we have possums, groundhogs and skunks.
Yes, we also have nightly visitors from possums, armadillos and skunks. We just accept the fact that it is mother nature and don't sweat a few divuts, holes, etc in the grass. It's not a big deal to us, and they soon move on.

I guess there are some things in life that I don't like that others don't pay no mind to and vice versa.

We do have a GSD that likes to raise a fuss if they stay too long, so that would be my best advice. Get a dog.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,267 times
'Their' back what....?? Their back door? Their back is scaly...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden