Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,248 times

Advertisements

I found this plant as a surprise in my garden, here it is:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...6-img-0266.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I found this plant as a surprise in my garden, here it is:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...6-img-0266.jpg
I think it may be milkweed (butterfly weed). It's the host plant for monarchs. I have some and love it. Had lots of babies (caterpillars) this year.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
I suggest "Snuggles."

Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
TXNGL it does have some resemblance to milkweed but the flowers are not quite right and the leaves are a bit different, too.

Latina it looks like you have a beautiful specimen of Maltese Cross. It's latin name is Lychnis chalcedonica if you would like to look it up. Here are three places with pretty good pictures and some helpful information:

Lychnis chalcedonica "Maltese Cross" - Buy Online at Annie's Annuals & Perennials

File:Lychnis chalcedonica1.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plants Profile - Lychnis chalcedonica L. (Caryophyllaceae) - Crotonella scarlatta - Maltese Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I suggest "Snuggles."
How helpful.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
J&Em, This site won't let me rep you again, but by golly good call! Maltese Cross, I've seen it, I know it, but I would never have called it here, because it just wouldn't have occurred to me. Damn you are good. Well done. Kudos. Hot stuff.

Such a shame flower people get such little respect in this world.....we deserve better!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
What a great volunteer to have in the garden!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
J&Em, This site won't let me rep you again, but by golly good call! Maltese Cross, I've seen it, I know it, but I would never have called it here, because it just wouldn't have occurred to me. Damn you are good. Well done. Kudos. Hot stuff.

Such a shame flower people get such little respect in this world.....we deserve better!
Thanks, coming from someone who seems to really know her stuff that's twice the compliment.

The funny things was when I first saw the post and TXNGL's response I knew it wasn't quite right but couldn't place the flowers right away either. The hairy stems and leaves were giving me clues as well but the flower shape just stuck on my head. Then I looked at Latina's picutres from the rest of the garden in her recent thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ew-photos.html The second picture down was of Rose Campion another Lychnis family member and that's when I remembered it. Funny how the associations stick.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Love that intense color.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Thanks, coming from someone who seems to really know her stuff that's twice the compliment.

The funny things was when I first saw the post and TXNGL's response I knew it wasn't quite right but couldn't place the flowers right away either. The hairy stems and leaves were giving me clues as well but the flower shape just stuck on my head. Then I looked at Latina's picutres from the rest of the garden in her recent thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ew-photos.html The second picture down was of Rose Campion another Lychnis family member and that's when I remembered it. Funny how the associations stick.
Good call! I couldn't see the pic all that clearly on my laptop, and I couldn't tell which leaves went with the flowers!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post

I thought it might be a Lychnis. This surprise showed up last year, when I did not yet, had any of the other Lychnis. This surprised plant is taller, and the leaves are elongated and different of the other Lychinis I have, but equally beautiful. I have it in a pot since I found it, because it is easier for me to deal with it. It is a Perennial. I have clay soil, the equivalent of concret, and I must have raised beds for everything......so I am goind to keep it in a pot for a while. I am afraid to upset it, since it is so beautiful. I also had it in a gorgeous Iris Blue, but that one has disappeared...........but you are 100% correct in your assessment. Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden