Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times

Advertisements

I've had an urban garden plot (!5X15)for the last 5 years and battling the weeds has always been an arduous task thats involved many hours a week of labor.Now with failing mobility/flexibility i just cant get to the garden more than a few hours a week and bending down to address the problem is impossible, as a result the weeds are now winning the battle and my garden looks depressing.
As i cant find any kids to pay $10 an hour to weed i'm left with very few options, one of which is covering the entire garden with heavy black plastic and poking holes in it to plant the produce,
My other option is to give up the garden and focus more on window boxes and container gardening on the back balcony..I'm thinking the latter is the more logical option.
Any one been down this road with their garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,935,038 times
Quote:
Any one been down this road with their garden?
yes, definitely.

the fact that you presumably haven't been introducing very many new weeds to this 15x15 plot [they're pulled before they get a chance to seed] speaks volumes about how many weed seeds are present, and how they can lay dormant for years, then pop up seemingly out of nowhere. i've always wondered how many viable weed seeds were present in, say, a couple of cubic inches of my garden's topsoil. it's probably in the hundreds, at least.

it's pretty sad that 10 bucks an hour isn't enough to convince any kids to pull weeds. have you been using a rototiller in the spring to get some of those seeds turned under deep enough that they won't germinate to reach the surface?
besides using black plastic mulch, putting down a thick layer of straw mulch might be another alternative.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
I know what you mean; we can't do the bending and pulling much anymore, but I did get out today and pulled a few weeds. I have one section that is about 10x6 that I lined, this spring, with cardboard, then added the top soil and the mulch: not a single weed has appeared yet. Of course you can use weed killer, but if you are talking vegetables that isn't a good option. I do use a lot of soil every spring and a lot of mulch, this doesn't prevent all the weeds, but it sure seems to help....other than that or as you said, the platic route, there are not a lot of options. I know what you mean about the kids. We finally had to hire someone to do our mowing, it costs us $35 every two weeks and takes the guy about 20 minutes including edging...

Nita

Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 AM

2,728 posts, read 5,342,498 times
Suggestion:

Take a sponge mop, and dip it in bucket with a diluted solution of water with RoundUp. Touch the weeds you want to kill, with the damp sponge.

Because you're using a sponge, you'll avoid overspray, and possibly killing your vegetables. And because the mop has a handle, you'll avoid so much bending over.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,879,051 times
Jambo,
Raised garden beds.
Mabey you can contact a landscaper to see how much he would charge
to install some raised garden beds for you.
You won't have to bend over, much fewer weeds, and you will have
your fresh veggies too!
Do a google search on raised garden beds and see how everyone
is doing it!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:49 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Raised bed garden is a good idea. Any weeds are easily unplugged sine the soil is soft.

I built my two 4'X8' beds using 2"X12"X8' boards from big box store. They cost less than $12/ea, needs 3 of them per bed, screwed in from each sides. Line the landscape fabric on each side of wood, and get high quality top soil from your local nursery. As an option, line outside bed with patio stones to enhance the beauty of your yard (and eliminate weeds). Supplement the corners with dwarf fruit trees like meyer's lemon, Fuyu asian persimmon, etc., you can have a beautifully landscape garden yard instead.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Our allotment doesnt allow raised gardens anymore as evidently the use of railway ties and the like became a big problem as the whole area started to look more like a lumber yard rather than a garden so now the rule is no structures made of wood other than a tool boxes.
Most weeds i can just grab and pull out without bending too far over but this year the main weed seems to be crab grass which is hard to deal with unless you are on your hands and knees and it kinda wraps itself up in the vegetables you are trying to grow so when you go to pull a clump of this stuff out some of your vegetables come with it..
I was sitting in the back yesterday and was estimating how many kitty litter containers i could squeeze on my balcony and the steps going down to the area in back of our house,,22 and i'll bet there wont be a weed in any of em,,,better start saving those plastic kitty litter containers for next year..its the only way..

Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Our allotment doesnt allow raised gardens anymore as evidently the use of railway ties and the like became a big problem as the whole area started to look more like a lumber yard rather than a garden so now the rule is no structures made of wood other than a tool boxes ..
You can use bricks/ cinder blocks instead of wood for raised bed.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,343,742 times
They also sell raised bed kits made of heavy vinyl online. It's much more expensive, but they might be worth it if they keep the association and your back happier.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:51 PM

455 posts, read 1,134,527 times
+1 on the cinder block idea. A friend of mine has good luck creating raised beds that way in TN. Maybe your allotment would be more flexible with that idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden