Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 04:08 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times

Advertisements

I have a few of these in the garden but they dry out, is it getting to much sun? should I leave it inside also?

Their colors are magenta and pink

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Do they dry out and croak?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
yes they are dry, i took it inside bcs it is faded. Thanks for any help in advance

Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Celosia blooms naturally dry out as they get older. Florists dry celosia and then spray it with a Florist's spray paint that is quite natural looking and gives the blooms back that beautiful burgundy color.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:23 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I have a few of these in the garden but they dry out, is it getting to much sun? should I leave it inside also?

Their colors are magenta and pink
They are generally fairly drought resistant like many plants that make good dried flowers and need full sun to grow and bloom properly. It sounds like they are either getting too much water or too little water from your description. There are diseases and bugs that can make them look wilted, like nematodes in the roots and fungi. Aphids can also cause them to look poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
yes they are dry, i took it inside bcs it is faded. Thanks for any help in advance
If you took the whole plant inside you will kill it from lack of sun. The flowers do reach a state where they naturally begin to fade and produce seeds. Deadheading carefully to avoid cutting into new flower heads forming will neaten up the plant an allow more flower spikes to grow and keep the plant pretty. I had pink ones that kept going and going in my deck pots until the first frosts last year. Everyone commented on them when they saw them because of their size and unusual appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Celosia blooms naturally dry out as they get older. Florists dry celosia and then spray it with a Florist's spray paint that is quite natural looking and gives the blooms back that beautiful burgundy color.
Absolutely right! The paler colored ones sometimes need the cosmetic help but the darker purple, magenta and deep pink varieties usually are pretty fade resistant when they are cut and hung before peak bloom naturally begins the fading process. If they begin to go to seed they will loose some color no matter what you do short of painting them. The pink ones I had barely faded when I experimented with them last year and they stayed on the plant for a long time. I think the commercial places use silicon to dry them more quickly to reduce fading, rather than the old fashioned 'hang the bunches upside down in the attic' method. It will also depend on the variety and type as to how well they hold up in dried bouquets.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Actually the ****'s Comb variety of celosia (which is sometimes dark burgundy) is often dried and sprayed with floral paint before using it in arrangements. A local florist dries his own celosia and sprays it for Christmas arrangment - you would never know that it was sprayed.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:15 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
I'm not sure why you seem to be disagreeing, or are we just talking passed each other? The picture from the OP is of a Celosia spicata and that is what I described. The "roosters" comb -since CD doesn't like the real name and censors it- is different, as is the third type C. plumosa which is more fluffy, but all 3 dry well. If done right usually they don't need to be colored artificially. Any kind of dried flowers are rarely intensely colored but I can see why painting them would be needed for Christmas decorations to look like a real Christmas red. The lighter pink variety I had did not change color when I picked it early but when I tried a little later if faded much more thatn it already was faded. In the picture the larger one is already fading a little in color and would not look as good as one of the smaller ones which would keep the color:

These are the same and too faded for use:

The red version of the C. cristata on the lower right in this picture is probably what your florist uses but I bet it does dim a bit with age and without "cosmetic" help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden