U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM

97 posts, read 293,035 times

Advertisements

I love the Euonymus alatus, better known as the Burning bush, for its splendid fall color. I would love to use it as a foundation plant when I landscape the side of my house.

I have been told, by a source who knows plants inside and out, that it does not grow well down here due to the heat. I am in zone 8b, near Dothan, AL. However, I have a friend in Auburn, AL, only two hours or so to the north, who has a burning bush in his backyard. And it couldn't possibly look better - granted, their soil is more clay-based and acidic, but it has really flourished there. So who do I believe?

Any experience with this plant in the South? It is rated for Zones 4-8, and I'm on the southern end of that, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a row of them and be disappointed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,440,567 times
Classy,
I am very familiar with Dothan.
no, the bush will not do well where you live.
The bush doesn't do well where I live in South Carolina, zone 8,
noone even plants them down here.
Sorry, but I am sure there are alternatives to the bush for fall
color. Even something evergreen, after all the burning bush does
loose it's leaves and looks ugly all winter.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM

36,503 posts, read 49,059,964 times
I planted it in almost every clients yard in the Atlanta area and it thrives. It is so beautiful in the fall and just kind of there in the spring. I didn't think there was any place any hotter and more humid than Atlanta!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 PM

23,495 posts, read 945,564 times
It's been some time since the last post, but I'll add my experience.

I'm in west-central Alabama, and the soil here is clay. I planted one back in 2007 in full sun. In summer 2012, it put no leaves out, and I thought it was dead. I'm glad I procrastinated about digging it up because right now there are leaves all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden