U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM

3,869 posts, read 14,261,404 times

Advertisements

The 2012 pumpkin, squash and gourd thread.
A place to discuss and post pics of this years crop. From squash to jack-a-lanterns.

As some of you know I like to "try" to grow some giant pumpkins.
My largest was close to 400lbs, my goal is to reach 1000lb.

How is your crop going?
Any problems?
Wish to share any tips or tricks?

This year I'm growing 6 plants.
Two are from a 1422lb Bogie (A world record in 2010),
Three of them are 1240lb bogie
and one 666lb bogie(perfect shape winner state fair)

I grow them in a mound made up of my secret compost-mix with 2 soaker hoses buried in the mound for irrigation.

So far things are proceeding better than last-year.
A few fruits are on the vine and more are on the way daily.

Once the fruit has set and shown to be a aggressive grower I will pick that one fruit to be the "one".
One fruit per vine so all of the energy goes to this pumpkin.

I also cover my secondary vines with compost and parts of the main vine too but leave some of it uncovered around the pumpkins so they have some slack.
You don't want any tension on the stem of the pumpkin as it grows.

A pic of the vines 7-31-12 approx 25-35ft long.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2012 pumpkin, squash thread-2012-pumpkin-2.jpg  
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM

879 posts, read 2,570,796 times
I planted Kabocha Squash (Japanese pumpkin) this year from seed. I had to plant in a container but vines are running on top of patio wall. Not sure if this can work but it is well over 10 feet long. Many flowers but alot of the main leaves in the container have turned yellow while the ones on the vines are exploding with growth and lovely green color. I have zero experience with this Japanese Pumpkin so have no idea what to expect. I tasted the Kabocha for the first time this year and loved it so decided to experiment but I am limited to container gardening so it is indeed a gamble. I use miracle gro plant food as fertilizer. Welcome all advice for my unique situation.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,283,769 times
I had to remove borers from a several vines and re-bury the stems. A lot of these seem to have recovered. I get squash vine borers every year.

I read online that using "row covers" is supposed to help. I would be curious to know if it works.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:24 PM

607 posts, read 1,300,223 times
I planted 2 Big Max pumpkin seeds this year. I just bought a packet of seeds from your run of the mill chain store. I'm not a serious grower. I just throw a couple of seeds in the ground to see if I can get any pumpkins. Unfortunately, haven't had much luck getting any pumpkins after trying for like 4 years now. It seems like once the pumpkins start getting orange, they develop a soft spot and start rotting. Happens to me every year. Oh well, if they grow, they grow. If not, no biggie. Anyways, the 2 vines I got planted are growing well so far. Haven't seen any signs of disease yet. I'll post a picture of my vines here soon.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I planted Kabocha Squash (Japanese pumpkin) this year from seed. I had to plant in a container but vines are running on top of patio wall. Not sure if this can work but it is well over 10 feet long. Many flowers but alot of the main leaves in the container have turned yellow while the ones on the vines are exploding with growth and lovely green color. I have zero experience with this Japanese Pumpkin so have no idea what to expect. I tasted the Kabocha for the first time this year and loved it so decided to experiment but I am limited to container gardening so it is indeed a gamble. I use miracle gro plant food as fertilizer. Welcome all advice for my unique situation.
I don't have any advice, but perhaps we can go on the Japanese Pumpkin Journey together. I tried a variety for the first time from burpee called uchiki kuri...I think uchiki means "squash."

Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 AM

879 posts, read 2,570,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I don't have any advice, but perhaps we can go on the Japanese Pumpkin Journey together. I tried a variety for the first time from burpee called uchiki kuri...I think uchiki means "squash."
Ok let's do it! Will post some pics along the way.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 AM

Moved this pot from the other thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

I fertilize every other time I water. 20-20-20 and I cover my vines with compost.

yellowing leaves.
1. over crowding
2. low PH.
3 a bug
4 a fungus

The recipe and it works before and after you have
white power on your leaves. It is a fungi so with 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of antibacterial dish soap, and 2 capfuls of bleach once a week and water daily in the early A.M. you will be fine..

Too much water is as damaging to plants as too little. Roots require abundant oxygen to live and grow, and waterlogged soils become anaerobic quickly. Waterlogged plants are stunted and often exhibit nutritional deficiencies because of poor root absorption. Waterlogged plants are also predisposed to root diseases. Control:
Insure adequate drainage for plantings by field leveling and planting on raised beds. Avoid planting in fields with poor internal drainage. Carefully monitor frequency and duration of irrigation cycles, particularly during cool weather.

What the Problem
Looks Like
Probable Cause Comments
Plants wilt and die, beginning with older crown leaves. Light brown
streaks occur inside lower stem, runners and root. Visible when split
lengthwise.

Verticillium wilt
(caused by Vertfcillium
fungus)

Rotate.
Avoid soil previously planted in
potatoes, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, and
cucurbits.

Now for the slugs, slugs don't like punkin plants they like the fruit(the pumpkin.
These slimy little creatures of the night love to suck on the soft pumpkin fruit. They normally do not attack regular pumpkins. A favorite snack is a young giant pumpkin fruit before the skin begins to harden. They will eat holes deeply into the fruit and destroy it.
Fortunately, there is an easy and environmentally friendly ways to defend against snails and slugs. The easiest method is to put a layer of sand beneath and a few inches around the pumpkin fruit. These pests do not like to travel across sand. This effectively halts them from reaching the fruit. As the fruit grows, add more sand. Continue to provide a ring of protection until the skin shows signs of hardening.

Vine Borers,There is no more certain way to end your pumpkin growing season than to have an infestation of vine borers. These little critters will bore into the vine at or near the base, sucking on the juices and eating away the vine. Once inside, they progress up inside the vine making, it difficult to detect until great damage is already done.
If your fruit is growing well and all of a sudden slows down, this may be the cause.

Cucumber beetle and or other beetles
This is the most common insect enemy to your vine crops. These pests can damage the leaves and transmit diseases which may prove fatal to the plant. Fortunately, most common pest controls are effective against this pest. Use the milder sprays and dusts early on. Apply stronger sprays such a Diazinon or Malathion for major infestation, and later in the season when a wide variety of bugs are out in full force. Then switch back to milder sprays and dusts in September as the season winds down and the bugs are no longer in abundance.

I get that soft spot on the bottom also.
some growers told me is to put something under them so they are up off of the ground but it can't trap water under the pumpkin. we use some plywood.

I haven't heard of those Japanese Pumpkin before. kind of interesting.

I pollinated 2 more this am, so far things are looking good. fingers crossed.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM

I had two of the uri squash and a butternut. The Japanese squash is similar to butternut in flavor, but maybe w/ denser flesh(?). Thank goodness I planted so many squash in various locations. One more succumbed to the borer. The ones I rescued on Friday (poking out borers and re-burying) don't look to hot...but I'm hoping they bounce back.

I was reading a post on gardenweb, and it turns out there are a couple of varieties which are less susceptible to borer damage. I'm planning on trying those next year.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 AM

I have never had any squash borer problems, (knock on wood)
I wonder if it just doesn't get warm enough for them in my neck of the woods?

Thanks for the info on the Japanese squash.

Squash Vine Borer and Squash Bug | University of Kentucky Entomology
"The key to squash vine borer management is controlling the borers before they enter the stem. Once inside the vine, insecticidal control is ineffective. Poor timing of sprays is the usual cause of inadequate control. Adult emergence occurs at approximately 1000 degree days"

I'll get some pics again soon a couple of pumpkins are around the size of a basketball and the vines are about 10ft longer.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 AM

9,881 posts, read 20,307,502 times
Its been 20 days since i planted pumpkin seeds from a packet (july 24th). How long should the vines be by now & why are some of the leaves turning yellow ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden