Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times

Advertisements

My lawn has turned quite yellow. Any ideas of the causes? I fertilized with a fall "weed and feed" containing iron about a month ago. I just had it it aerated. I am watering it quite a bit because I reseeded a couple of spots. The new seed is coming up really well. I'm wondering if it is some sort of nutrient deficiency, or maybe some sort of fungus problem?

The yellow lawn is the entire front lawn and is an even yellow color throughout. My back lawn is looking really good -- a nice even green. And it's getting the same amount of water and fertilizer as the front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Yellow lawn for us means lack of iron. Our soil is clay-like here in Boise, ID. Not sure where you're at, but that could be what the problem is. Try a liquid iron, works faster than granual. Make sure you follow the instructions. You're suppose to water the area well before you apply. You should be able to find liquid iron at your local nursery supply center, Lowe's or Home Depot. Get the type that attaches to your hose for easy application. If you're area is dry keep grass watered after application. If lack of iron is the problem you should start seeing the grass green up in a matter of a few days.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times
I'm here in Salt Lake. We have clay soil as well. Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:27 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Problems now are due to either steady low temps at night, below 60 degrees, where the grass is preparing to go dormant, or overwatering creating a Iron deficiency.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Try Milorganite (from Lowes), it's a slow release, but you'll still see the iron effect within a few days. It's a good product to put your lawn to bed with for the winter.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
My grass turned yellowish about 1-2 months ago due to a lawn fungus.

try 1-2 applications of a good lawn fungus product at your local big-box store to see if that works.

If it doesn't, save your receipt and follow the instructions on the bottle to get your money back. No lose situation

Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
Psst. Come over here, I'll whipser a secret to ya. Shh, don't let anyone else know.

Get some epsom salt. Dilute it to about a teaspoon to a gallon of water and using a standard watering can, water your lawn. If you have one of those garden hose sprayer jobs, mix 1/4 cup epsom salt to the container iwth some water and then attach the hose and spray the lawn once a week with this.

Tip: You'll be sorry. This will create a lush, green and vibrant lawn that will grow twice as fast as any other lawn -which means you will have to mow it more often than anyone else has to mow theirs.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 PM

38 posts, read 176,638 times
Epsom salt works good but I prefer green sand. Stay away from the chemicals and the big box stores.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
riveree - I concur about Milorganite. It's relatively inexpensive and 'organic'. I didn't realize how organic until I googled it... Ewww...

Quote:
it consists of processed sludge from the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District Jones Island Wastewater Treatment Plant in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The fertilizer is made up of microbes that have digested nutrients from the sewage stream along with added iron, used to strip phosphorus from the waste water flowing into Lake Michigan.

The name Milorganite is a contraction of the phrase Milwaukee Organic Nitrogen
Milorganite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use it in the Spring and Summer for Bermudagrass; Spring and Fall for fescue; it's mild and you don't need to water it in.

coolcats - what kind of grass do you have?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:14 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Milorganite has been banned in many areas for cancer causing substances in the material.
Check it out on one of these many sites: Milorganite cancer causing - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden