Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Do you literally have to water EVERY day? or is every OTHER day OK?

I just had the yard aerated and over seeded yesterday...and watered yesterday evening. (about 20 minutes each spot with a fan sprinkler)

I know the ground should stay moist not soaked or muddy and the answer may depend on how long the water is 'absorbed,' but .....

My question is: if the ground is still moist the day after watering (like it is now) do I still need to water again that second day in a row? It's still most now at 11a.m., after watering between 5 and 8 last night.

Temps here for the next days are 86 today, then 94 tomorrow, 89, 84, 81 -- with no rain until MAYBE Monday.

I will water every day if I have to but don't want to OVER water. (was told seed will rot). I don't have any standing water issues, but clearly the ground is moist from last evening's watering)

My watering takes HOURS to hit all the spots. I need to put the sprinkler in FOUR different spots for the back yard, and FIVE for the front yard. At 20 minutes each spot that's THREE hours start to finish. If I start watering at 5, the last spot isn't finished until after 8p. Because of my work schedule sometimes I can water in the morning. Sometimes it just has to be midday....mostly it's in the evening though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
)))
Usually it's multiple times a day. Of course you may be in a wet and humid pattern right now as we are in the southeast and that should enable you to water less.

(((
Quote:
My question is: if the ground is still moist the day after watering (like it is now) do I still need to water again that second day in a row? It's still most now at 11a.m., after watering between 5 and 8 last night.
)))
SEEDS need to stay moist. Not just the ground.

(((
Quote:
Temps here for the next days are 86 today, then 94 tomorrow, 89, 84, 81 -- with no rain until MAYBE Monday.
)))
You seeded too early. Now you're going to have to be very diligent about watering and you're going to have a lot of weeds.

(((
Quote:
My watering takes HOURS to hit all the spots. I need to put the sprinkler in FOUR different spots for the back yard, and FIVE for the front yard. At 20 minutes each spot that's THREE hours start to finish. If I start watering at 5, the last spot isn't finished until after 8p. Because of my work schedule sometimes I can water in the morning. Sometimes it just has to be midday....mostly it's in the evening though.
)))

Yeah. You're learning that starting a lawn from seed in a hot climate is a P.I.T.A!
You don't water deeply like you would for an established lawn, you just need to keep everything moist and depending on your sprinkler coverage, that should be around 5 or 10 minutes several times a day.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks this is the aerating and overseeding that my lawn care service does every year in my established lawn. They did the seeding. I'm just watering.

I know it's midday. But I won't be home tonight....so I'm watering now. It's now, or not today at all.

Tomorrow I should be able to water in the evening again.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
In the future wait until mid sept once the heat breaks, you'll have an easier time with it.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM

Thanks. Maybe I'll ask to be among the last on their aeration/seeding schedule.

Although I do like that it's still warm while I'm out there getting wet and moving sprinkler around.
Mid Sept. it is still warm here.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:

I just had the yard aerated and over seeded yesterday...and watered yesterday evening. (about 20 minutes each spot with a fan sprinkler)

I know the ground should stay moist not soaked or muddy and the answer may depend on how long the water is 'absorbed,' but .....

I will water every day if I have to but don't want to OVER water. (was told seed will rot). I don't have any standing water issues, but clearly the ground is moist from last evening's watering)

It sounds like you are watering very heavily. That is what you are supposed to do for established lawns but it is not necessary to saturate the ground for growing new grass. It is more important to just water enough to keep the seed moist. It is best to water early in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden