Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times

Advertisements

i think if you get the right grass type for your area it helps cut back on the maintenence aspect...
i see so many people struggle with their lanws around here and it turns out many people are trying to grow grass species that are completly innapropriate for the zone (i know this now thanks to posters on this very forum) they spend hours and hours outside watering feeding begging the grass to be green and soft and pretty trying to grow bluegras sor zoysia ect..
if they instead whent with a native grass or a cultured grass suited to this zone theyd have ALOT less work to put into it and could enjoy it more in my opinion.

I dont think haveing a lawn HAS to be labor intensive

it would be like me trying to grow traditional british lawn grasses here in west tn, the temps, humidity and average rainfall ae completly different so its NOT going to work without alot of labor...yet my back pasture that over the years was seeded with perenial native grasses, looks ALOT healthier than my back yard where the previous owner seeed what im told was a bluegrass mix (and crabgrass LOL), this summers high temps and lack of rain just destroyed everything but the crabgrass...

Grasses have been growing long before we got here with aboslutly NO help...so why do we as a race insist on making somehting so natural sooo difficult?!

replace all lawn with little white rocks.thats a great idea untill errosion kicks in, and all the little creatures that rely on the grasses seeds and cover have noplace to hide out anymore...as an accent i like the look of pebbels rocks, mulch ect...but GRASS isnt a problem...

plus, as others have pointd out...while the op may not think spending time outside is a worth while way to spend time and doesnt want the upkeep of a lawn, many people enjoy gardening, tending their lawns and flower beds ect...its not nessicarily some great big annoying chore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
I dont think haveing a lawn HAS to be labor intensive
I don't think so, either, but some people overthink things, while others insist on perfection when nature is anything but perfect.

Quote:
replace all lawn with little white rocks.thats a great idea untill errosion kicks in
I dumped some pebbles on my packed-dirt driveway (which is what a lawn would become once you removed the grass) in the spring, and they're about half gone now -- carried away by tires and shoes and critters' little feet. I'd almost rather have the grass back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden