Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 AM

771 posts, read 1,454,479 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have a Hawaiian Plumeria plant that I grew from a cutting. It's getting pretty big, but I'm not sure when (or if) I should re-pot it. It's been growing in the same pot for about a year. I don't want to stunt the plant's growth but at the same time I'm afraid I'll kill it if I move it to a bigger pot. How do I know if it's time to re-pot a plant? I know it's not a great question, but I don't have much experience with plants.

This is the plant:

I keep the plant indoors since last year because I didn't want to leave it out during the Winter, so I brought it with me to the office. It's actually doing quite good (better than I expected when I first brought it in in November last year). It never went dormant though, and I also wonder if that's normal?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:00 AM

24,363 posts, read 22,935,890 times
I have one that I've had for about 5 years now. It does well outside each summer and then in fall I move it to a window in the basement. But it never blooms. It gets bigger each year and I've fertilized it and transplanted it with new soil, but no blooms. I've heard it takes a few years for them to bloom after cutting but its been 5 years now. I want to see it bloom.
Yours leaves are bigger than mine, nice.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:16 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,601,672 times
Repot when the roots have filled the container, and choose heavy containers as plumies tend to get top-heavy. Make sure you don't over pot, it's easy to drown them if there is too much soil volume in the pot. They prefer an airy, fast-draining mix. They need very high light levels and good nutrient levels to bloom, and they only bloom when branching occurs - the one in the picture has not branched yet. They do not need to go dormant, but they are easier to store in the winter if you allow them to. They love fertilizer so feed them regularly during the growing season to increase the chance of blooms and avoid pruning them if possible to preserve any branching that does occur. I am linking a great site to learn about plumeria below.

PLUMERIA 101.COM Everything You Need To Know About Growing Plumeria.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Repot when the roots have filled the container, and choose heavy containers as plumies tend to get top-heavy. Make sure you don't over pot, it's easy to drown them if there is too much soil volume in the pot. They prefer an airy, fast-draining mix. They need very high light levels and good nutrient levels to bloom, and they only bloom when branching occurs - the one in the picture has not branched yet. They do not need to go dormant, but they are easier to store in the winter if you allow them to. They love fertilizer so feed them regularly during the growing season to increase the chance of blooms and avoid pruning them if possible to preserve any branching that does occur. I am linking a great site to learn about plumeria below.

PLUMERIA 101.COM Everything You Need To Know About Growing Plumeria.
tilli thanks a lot, this was very useful. I didn't know that they don't bloom until branching occurs, but that makes perfect sense.

I know this is going to be a silly question but how do I know roots have filled the container?

Old 09-05-2012, 02:25 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,887,470 times
Hesky,
Plumerais usually only grow per the size of the container.
If it gets too big for the container, it will be dry ALL the time.
You'll be saying to yourself, I jsut watered that yesterday, but it is dry again.
It will need more water if it is all roots in the container.
I see your teracota pot has a salt build up.
That's that white stuff on the outside of the pot.
The fertilizer you use has salts in it, and they build up in the soil
over time.
The next time it is real dry, very slowly water the plant using low stream
under the sink and flush it out. You can wash off the outside of the pot with
water also.
When you get to the point when you want to repot it, Miracle Grow sells
a cactus and citrus growing potting mix you might want to use, it drains
real well. People usually repot in the spring.
It looks really healthy and happy.
You are doing a great job with it.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,601,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
I know this is going to be a silly question but how do I know roots have filled the container?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u
If it gets too big for the container, it will be dry ALL the time.
You'll be saying to yourself, I jsut watered that yesterday, but it is dry again
That's good advice.

If it has filled the container, the entire soil mass will easily pop out of the container if you gently lift it out of the pot (grasp at the base of the trunk, near the soil line). It will look something like this:

http://www.plumeria101.com/PICTURES/root_8.jpg

Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Butterfly4u and tilli thanks a lot for your advice!

This plant is a souvenir from my honeymoon, she is my baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden