Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 02:28 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times

Advertisements

I woke up one morning and found my front lawn got torn up a bit. A bunch of 1~2 inch diameter patches of grass was ripped up and exposing the dirt. My first thought was gopher but I did not find burrows.

Does anyone have idea of what cause this? also, how to get rid of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 02:39 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
The most common lawn diggers this time of year are grub hunting skunks and racoons. Get rid of the grubs and they stop digging. Japanese Beetle grubs can be eradicated over a few years with Milky Spore and nematode treatments. There are also chemical lawn treatments for various grubs. There's an active thread on grubs here right now: //www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ive-grubs.html

Old 09-22-2012, 03:32 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Skunks are usually the biggest culprit for chewing up you lawn. However, the good side is that they remove the grubs and it doesn't require expensive lawn treatments. All you have to do is replace their divots.

Just don't surprise your skunks - they don't like surprises. Talk nice to them and leave them alone and they will leave you alone while they do their thing. They will also remove yellow jacket nest. You should not see any out during the daylight hours.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:46 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I woke up one morning and found my front lawn got torn up a bit. A bunch of 1~2 inch diameter patches of grass was ripped up and exposing the dirt. My first thought was gopher but I did not find burrows.

Does anyone have idea of what cause this? also, how to get rid of it?
Armidillo's did that to mine,put up fence around property.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:34 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Skunk,

Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Raccoons, skunks and opossums all like to dig for grubs.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:53 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Raccoons, skunks and opossums all like to dig for grubs.
Yes; but skunks spend most of their time digging for grubs. Raccoons and opossums take advantage of other food sources. Raccoons will get into a farmer's corn or up fruit trees – opossums love fruit trees also. All of them will also raid garbage cans.

By the way; do armadillo’s forage 24 hours a day or do they sleep at night? I used to see them driving truck in the south. I don't think I ever saw one at night – but they would be hard to see. If they only forage during the daylight; then the OP could determine if is skunk or armadillo.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 AM

232 posts, read 1,653,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Yes; but skunks spend most of their time digging for grubs. Raccoons and opossums take advantage of other food sources. Raccoons will get into a farmer's corn or up fruit trees – opossums love fruit trees also. All of them will also raid garbage cans.

By the way; do armadillo’s forage 24 hours a day or do they sleep at night? I used to see them driving truck in the south. I don't think I ever saw one at night – but they would be hard to see. If they only forage during the daylight; then the OP could determine if is skunk or armadillo.
I've only ever seen armadillos at night. As kids we used to chase them and catch 'em by putting a five-gallon bucket over them until the grandparents could come and take care of them. Fun times.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
Could it be an armadillo(s)? They are destroying our front yard and every time we wait up they never show. Go figure.

I've never seen an armadillo in our yard during the day, only at night since they are nocturnal creatures. Someone told me that coyote/predator urine works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden