Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

Just a lady scaring away a bear. [VIDEO]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Except that deer isnt going to bust in your door and cause hundreds if not thousands in damage destroying your home. Careful what you ask for......

Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,823 times
I'll trade both for our moose. They can and will eat preferred browse trees to toothpicks. One year a moose took one big bite out of about 90% of my cabbages, ate the heads off the broccoli and devoured an entire pea patch in less than an hour. I about cried. We had one get into our apple tree containment system and banging on pots, yelling, blowing a canister air horn, chucking kindling from our firewood pile was all useless. Finally it got tired of us, hopped the 6.5' fence and ambled off. It took the tree two seasons to recover. We live downtown. You'd think that we wouldn't have moose but we do. Dang moose.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Except that deer isnt going to bust in your door and cause hundreds if not thousands in damage destroying your home. Careful what you ask for......
Au contraire...deer burst thru office and retail and home windows all the time scaring the general public and causing tremendous damage. And while a bear might look more dangerous, I doubt they cause as many traffic fatalities as deer do. At least you can see a bear in the road and they rarely blindside a vehicle running and jumping out of nowhere.

Actually I'm not asking for either one but if I had my druthers.....running off an occasional bear would be a piece of cake compared to trying to keep a whole herd of deer out of my garden.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
au contraire...deer burst thru office and retail and home windows all the time scaring the general public and causing tremendous damage. And while a bear might look more dangerous, i doubt they cause as many traffic fatalities as deer do. At least you can see a bear in the road and they rarely blindside a vehicle running and jumping out of nowhere.

Actually i'm not asking for either one but if i had my druthers.....running off an occasional bear would be a piece of cake compared to trying to keep a whole herd of deer out of my garden.
30-06. will do just nicely

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 10-02-2012 at 06:52 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
There would have been no reason for that woman to run off the bear if she did not have bear bait on her back porch. It looks very much like a barbeque grill on the back porch. The smell of meat will bring a bear in from a long distance away.

As far as deer; I have tried all the repellents. Some work for a time; but wash off with heavy rains. My feeling is that even if the repellents work; if one particular animal has a taste for our beans, or tomatoes (etc.) that they will come back and finish off whatever is left.

I built a little 8X8X6' high pen for a raised bed garden this year. I just ripped 2X4X8's in half and used those as my frame for cheap, plastic deer fencing. It worked great all summer long – except for about two weeks ago. I did not even realize that I had a four foot slit in the screening – it looked fine. Apparently one of my local doe found out that she could shove her head through and eat my cucumbers.

This is what gardening is about – living and learning from our past mistakes.

I am glad that we do not have moose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden