U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM

9,542 posts, read 10,113,217 times

Advertisements

thanks J&Em -- very good and helpful info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 PM

18 posts, read 28,370 times
Antirrhinum majus In Zone 5 where I'm at it's an annual that reseeds invasively.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:35 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,322,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
thanks J&Em -- very good and helpful info.
You are very welcome. Lots of people can be "gardeners" but never get past trial and error, making avoidable mistakes, over and over. Some repeatedly do things that they've misunderstood the reasons for, invariably with bad results. Others in turn have problems because they get an idea in their head about how it "should be" and really don't understand the plant or proper use of fertilizers and pesticides, and it dies or succumbs unnecessarily to diseases. Both of these cost a lot of money and often causes a would be gardener to quit. When you actually make an effort to learn what the words mean those plant tags and catalog descriptions can make so much more sense and you will avoid making 90% of the mistakes I see daily whether it is reading some of the strange stuff some people post on a forums and blogs or some of the gardens I get asked to "save" in person. By asking questions and actually reading the information you have automatically made yourself a better gardener!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_juliet View Post
Antirrhinum majus In Zone 5 where I'm at it's an annual that reseeds invasively.
I'm glad to see another contributor but take it you don't like to read anything before posting in response to the OP. <sigh> Once again it is NOT an annual just because it does not live through the winter in your zone. Annual is a scientific classification that does not change because you wish to make it so. Common snapdragons (which is what Antirrhinum majus ) is are perennials. Period. They are "grown as annuals" in colder zones because they are a tender perennial which dies in cold weather. You are right about setting seed easily. They can be prolific re-seeders in the right setting.

I really don't care specifically about snapdragons since they are a relatively easy plant to grow and buy, it is the point of understanding what you are doing especially when someone is handing out advice. Classification is important in understanding when and where your plant can be planted and how to treat it so that you get the best out of it in your garden setting. There are very big differences between north and south in this country and between western states and eastern states that many people don't seem to understand. The same plant will have very different characteristics in each of those settings, sometimes even when in the same "zone" depending on other factors. Using the right terminology, instead of made up ones, helps everyone start on the same page at least.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM

36,502 posts, read 50,305,488 times
I used to grow begonias in Atlanta. Most people would think of them as annuals but mine were under heavy shade tress and came back for many years. No re seeding but the same plant stock.

Also in Atlanta snapdragons were sold with pansies for cool weather plantings and didn't last too much past may or June. Never had any come back so in terms of my nursery budget they were annuals and therefore soon knocked off my list. Now i only buy deer resistant perennials except for a hanging basket or two of coleus and a pot or two of mums for the front porch.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM

77,804 posts, read 96,590,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've seen them referred to as both?

Wikipedia says perennial.
Two other websites say annual.

A friend grew some from seeds I gave her...and they've come back a couple of times now. She's in Fairfax VA - Zone 7a (7). I'm on the other side of DC in Maryland, but also in 7 (some say 6b-7a).

I know I gave her seeds but are any snapdragons bulbs?
Here in NWA we plant them yearly and I love um: as a kid my grandmother had a gorgeous yard and lots of snapdraggons. Her's were perenials, but that was So Ca...

Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM

17,087 posts, read 15,508,942 times
Thank you J&Em for your scientific explanation and correction to my post. But since I am a lazy gardener, my unscientific definitions are:

Annual: Too much trouble because you have to buy and plant them every year
Perennials: My friends, because they either survive winter or their seeds self-propagate every year, saving me a lot of work and money!

I've never bought snapdragons, but every year I have a ton of them.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 PM

9,418 posts, read 12,478,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I used to grow begonias in Atlanta. Most people would think of them as annuals but mine were under heavy shade tress and came back for many years. No re seeding but the same plant stock.

Also in Atlanta snapdragons were sold with pansies for cool weather plantings and didn't last too much past may or June. Never had any come back so in terms of my nursery budget they were annuals and therefore soon knocked off my list. Now i only buy deer resistant perennials except for a hanging basket or two of coleus and a pot or two of mums for the front porch.
Cool weather plants here too, in Dallas. I was surprised that the ones that apparently seeded in my yard (thanks to this thread, I know this now!) lasted well until July. Can't wait to see where they pop up next.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,322,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Thank you J&Em for your scientific explanation and correction to my post. But since I am a lazy gardener, my unscientific definitions are:

Annual: Too much trouble because you have to buy and plant them every year
Perennials: My friends, because they either survive winter or their seeds self-propagate every year, saving me a lot of work and money!

I've never bought snapdragons, but every year I have a ton of them.
Love your definitions and on a practical basis they are just about right.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 AM

20,416 posts, read 43,109,493 times
I am in Zone 5 and for some reason they NEVER reseed.
We plant new every year (DH loves them and we wish they WOULD reseed!).

Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 PM

18 posts, read 28,370 times
I'm done with anything in "Garden" Forum...thanks J&Em for letting us all know that YOU ARE THE GREAT AND MIGHTY!! Some could have benefited from the 20 plus years and degrees I hold in horticulture..not to mention the greenhouses I have in organics. Oh well!! LOL You are not the first and won't be the last to be the great and mighty OZ that ruins it for the rest!! Pat yourself on the back for the best advice ever!! I see this way too often!! BTW, Bulldog wins!

Last edited by grape_juliet; 10-19-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden