U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 6,911 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just bought a house in the Boston MA area. The previous owners did not take care of the lawn or landscaping at all. What is the best way to go about getting a nice green, weed feed lawn. Also what type of grass would you recommend for New England weather and when should I plant. The lawn would get mostly sun and about an 1/8 of shade. I would prefer not to use chemicals like round up and such.

This is what it looks like right now

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM

2,118 posts, read 5,984,769 times
Those are good questions for your local agricultural extension. They should have a lawn care calender for you to follow and recommendations on low maintenance (usually less popular) types of grass to use that require less fertilizer, weed control, overseeding and water.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 AM

25,626 posts, read 34,278,775 times
There is no way to get a weed free lawn without the use of chemicals. LAWN is not a natural element in the environment. Even the grass seed that you use to create your lawn is not natural. So to maintain a healthy vibrant weed free lawn you need to used man made chemicals.

You can rip it out and put down sod but you'll need man made chemicals to maintain a weed free lawn.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Thanks Guys!!

Bulldogdad - I am on a budget and I heard that sod is really expensive. What would you suggest? Using round up, wait a bit, use a tiller, fertilize and seed? I am very new to the entire lawn thing.

Also do you know what type of weeds are those in the pictures I posted?

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Also do you know what type of weeds are those in my photos?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebaje View Post
Thanks Guys!!

Bulldogdad - I am on a budget and I heard that sod is really expensive. What would you suggest? Using round up, wait a bit, use a tiller, fertilize and seed? I am very new to the entire lawn thing.

Also do you know what type of weeds are those in the pictures I posted?

Thanks.
Honestly decide what your budget is for this project.

First I would use a selective herbicide to like Ortho Weed Be Gone and others before resorting to Round up if you are willing to try and resurrect your existing lawn.

Also understand replacing a lawn is no small task but if your willing to try here are some bare bones basics:

1) Roundup, wait a week, water and repeat until no new green appears. Could take two months.

2) Remove not till-in all dead plant matter.

3) Roto till in a good compost and some starter fertilizer.

4) Upgrade, repair, install etc irrigation and drainage systems.

5) Hand grade smooth the ground to prepare for the seed.

Understand you'll need preemergents and selective herbicides to control the weeds in your new lawn.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM

The lawn is 18,000 sq/ft, so I do understand that this is going to be hard work and I do know it takes some money to achieve a great lawn. Thanks for your advice.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 PM

7,102 posts, read 26,108,543 times
Ask yourself, what did people do to get great lawns before weed killers were developed. They just mowed. They watered and used fertilizers. If you set your mower at a height that prevents the weeds from developing seeds, they will die out with a minimum of effort. Most weeds come from yearly seeding.

I may be wrong, but it looks as if you have a stand of bermuda grass. If so, you may have a good start on a nice lawn.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:47 PM

9,648 posts, read 15,352,877 times
I had good luck with a weed and feed. Might find someone who has a walk behind spreader to put down with.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebaje View Post
The lawn is 18,000 sq/ft, so I do understand that this is going to be hard work and I do know it takes some money to achieve a great lawn. Thanks for your advice.

LOL, that's not a lawn but a field no wonder you don't want to sod.

You need to look at some commercial grade chemical treatments from a professional applicator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden